Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pemmican (suet)

Default pemmican (suet)

Can you render suet for pemmican, for the fat part of a recipe. Sorry if I spelled it wrong.

That's what it traditionally is. It's animal fat. Suet generally refers to beef or mutton but you are by no means restricted to that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Using peanut butter in place of suet is a healthier version, if not traditional
    I know what hunts you.

Thnx guys, I read and watched a couple of videos and they all used taleo.Wasn't sure if it was the same as suet.If you try the peanut butter do you render it the same way? On the video she did it 240degrees for 12hrs in the oven.

You might post a link to the vid. Both peanut butter and suet melt at substantially lower temperatures. Are you sure they didn't dehydrate the meat in the oven? That would make sense.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The way I've made it with peanut butter or suet is to start with jerked meat, dried fruit and nuts. The suet or peanut butter is what holds it all together in bite sized pieces.
    I know what hunts you.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pemmican made from suet is a cold climate version of the original recipe. originating in the desert regions, pemmican had very little fat content. the jerked meat, dried fruits and nuts were bound togather with cattail flour (or other flours) and then pressed under stones until the food was de-volumeized. (almost like compost) the de-volumeized pemmican would keep for 10 or more years. i have found that the fat free version is much more palateable, it doesnt spoil or turn rancid here is a link to a vid on fat free devolumeized pemmican,, http://youtu.be/l-55SsJVyhs
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 11-20-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Good vid. Great info as always.

I am presently marinating 3 pounds od very lean beef to make jerky ... it will be finished soaking and drying in a couple days ... HELP ! what is the best packaging method to get maximum longevity out ot it .. googled for hours and got conflicting answers .. anyone have hands on knowledge they wanna share ? Thanks !!!
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Once you dry it you can keep it in a zip lock for quite a while. I've had it last for 5 months and it was still good. As long as the meat is inside something, a glass jar, ziplock, etc., then it won't reabsorb moisture from the air so it won't spoil.

I got a recipe for jerky that claims it'll keep for 10 years.. lemme see if I can find it and link it here. If I don't it's cause it slipped my mind- some one remind me.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Oh, it was something I pulled form a board. Was suprised the link is still live. http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=155395
    If it doesn't work for someone shoot me a pm and I will send the .doc. Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Oh, it was something I pulled form a board. Was suprised the link is still live. http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=155395
    If it doesn't work for someone shoot me a pm and I will send the .doc. Thanks.
    Thanks for the link very informative jerky recipe, couple that with the pemican recipe's we've had and I got a project.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Hey your welcome. Glad to give back!
    Thanks,
    Tres

ok I just made pemmican with lard and that process isn't gonna fly ! its very flaky although it will probably keep just fine .. tastes great // gotta bfind tallow or suet for next experiment i think ! Jerky going on the racks over the woodstove this morning ... teriyaki with blackstrap molasses and spices .... Mmmmmm !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

If it's flaky, it sounds like you need to add more lard to bind it together. You might even try peanut butter. Lard is some mighty dense calories.

I got extra lard if anyone needs it. Free, no charge for the lard. (however you must pay for the liposuction.)
    Thanks,
    Tres

That right there is NOT funny I don't care who you are. God put your hands over the eyes of them little pygmies down there in New Guinea so they can't read this. That is sooooo wrong.

Great,Info guys the recipe I saw on youtube the lady used one part rendered fat and one part meat by weight. She rendered the fat in the oven for 12hrs in a casr iron pot 225degrees for 12hrs. Heading out hunting when I get in I'll post the link.

Here in Alaska it is actually a great treat. Kids look forward to it the way kids in the lower 48 look forward to an ice cream cone or candy bar.