Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSK Exercise

Default PSK Exercise

I will start with the videos then the write up.

This is an exercise I have wanted to do for a while. I believe that if you are going to teach important information that you need to have experience to back it up. Many people talk about survival and bushcraft skills and equipment. But, in my mind, if you are going to be in the woods away from civilization, practicing emergency mitigation is key. Not only is it fun, but it will give you confidence in you abilities and gear.

I chose to do this in the fall. I wanted below freezing temperatures at night and cool weather during the day. I also wanted to show what was possible with a small PSK. On the flip side, this drill also exposes the weaknesses of the minimal kit. Another goal was to test out a shelter design I have been working on. It was mostly a success. I wanted to operate on minimal calories. It really makes you thankful for what you have.

The outing started at 0800. It was about 27 degrees and a little breezy. I walked in to my area of operation did a quick inventory, and got started. Here were my priorities.

• Get water and stay hydrated
    • Improvise my tools
    • Collect shelter materials
    • Build a shelter
    • Collect firewood
    • Procure calories
    • Repair gear as needed

You can see the gear I used in the videos and pictures. I am going to try to elaborate on how I used it and what I improvised to meet my needs.

Here is a pic of the equipment used.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

• Water- I used an Aqua pouch to store my water. It was purifies using iodine tablets. I drank a total of 3 liters in 26 hours. I used a strip of basswood as an improvised strap.

• Tools- A handle was put on my Turley PSK knife. I improvised a neck sheath out of Basswood bark. The wire saw as mounted to a Hop hornbeam branch to be used as a bow saw. A digging stick was fashioned from Eastern Red Cedar.

• Shelter- I gathered Cattails, and White pine duff for an insulation bed. Foxtail grass was used for heat retention. Willow and other woods were used for the frame work. The space blanket was added for moisture barrier. Leaf litter was used to cover the shelter.

• Fire-Burr Oak was my main firewood. The firesteel and Bull Thistle down were used to start my twig fire. The extra prep was bundled and stored for emergency use.

• Food-Acorns, Cattail roots and White Pine needle tea were consumed. I improvised a cooking pot out of foil, container lid, and wire. 2 fishing poles were made with Cottonwood bark bobbers. Hooks, split shot, and bait tubes were used.

I walked out of my camp at 1000 the next day. I stayed in my shelter from 2200 to 0100. Due to my cold feet I slept next to the fire the rest of the night. Building my shelter took a lot of my time. I knew it would take a long time. I am not sure how cold it got but it was well below freezing.
    What really surprised me was how my training sprung back into my head. It was a lot of fun. I hope to do a 2 nighter this spring.
    Last edited by IA Woodsman; 11-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Thank you IAW...it doesn't get better than that.
    The ultimate show 'n tell.

Well done. Nice report.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice job. You put a lot more work into your debris shelter than I do. I don't know if that's good or bad it just is. That foxtail grass would have made good insulation inside your hoodie but it looks like you were layered pretty well. Good post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Be careful with those compass/first aid pouches. They will snap open. I tied my compass to me and taped my field dressing because of how easy they pop open.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

nice post thanks

Nice job, I am really interested in how you made the bait tubes and where did you get the Arrow Card?
    I know what hunts you.

Sarky, I PM'd him about the arrow card and he gave me the URL:

http://equinoxcoronado.com/

I didn't see it on their website so I emailed them to see if they still offer it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What is the arrow card? Great set of videos. Thanks for posting!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Nice job, I am really interested in how you made the bait tubes and where did you get the Arrow Card?
    Not sure about his bait tubes, but I've made something similar in the past. Cut plastic drinking straw to size, melt one end, fill, melt other end - cut open at end when needed - if not all is used - melt open end again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius
    What is the arrow card?
    Look at the first picture (not the first vid) and look at the top of the triangle. You'll see a credit card shaped tool that has punch out arrowheads as well as a knife edge and a saw edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Look at the first picture (not the first vid) and look at the top of the triangle. You'll see a credit card shaped tool that has punch out arrowheads as well as a knife edge and a saw edge.
    It's use then, is pre-made arrow heads? I guess that it why it is called an arrow card.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    It's use then, is pre-made arrow heads? I guess that it why it is called an arrow card.
    They can be removed from the card to make field expedient (or replacement) tips for your arrows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Super video and illustration of getting through the first night. Maybe it will open up the eyes of some that going out in the woods takes thought and planning and the ability to improvise once you get there. Excellent work!

Rick,
    In the video he said that he just got it in the mail and wanted to try it out. Do you know what kind of material it is made out of? metal or a glass filled polymer?
    So next time I go to BurgerKing i'll have to snag a couple of straws.
    I know what hunts you.

I have no idea. I assumed it was metal since it has the cutting edge and the saw edge.

I have several glass filled nylon knives the can be sharpened to shaving sharp.
    I know what hunts you.

How many glass filled saws do you have?

A whole none.
    I know what hunts you.

Ok boys sorry for the late reply. The Arrowcards are made from mild steel. It has a small blade on one side and a saw on the other side. It has 5 arrow heads that are easily removed. I did not have time to mess with it. But I am going to do a video in the future. Also those bait tubes are just like Crash said. Drinking straws filled with bait and sealed with a lighter. I will do a video on those soon also.