Thread: Proposed Ag Building

Default Proposed Ag Building

Generally,... I don't like to say "I gonna do this, or gonna buy that, much rather have it done then say, what do y'all think?
    But with the discussion of bunkers and such, I gonna run this by y'all.

At "The Place' our cabin, there is no basement, and @800 sq ft limited storage space.....so a multi purpose building is called for.

We are not going to call it a "garage" for tax reasons, "Ag building" is taxed differently (lower), if you have a working "farm" or at least a USDA farm number, (I have), you can get a much better rate.

The location is on the side of a south facing hill side, in an existing level spot, (drive way) slightly west of the cabin on the same level.

This is the basic building I wanting to put up, and have purchased plans for:

http://www.garlinghouse.com/plan_det...008&src=search

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Dimensions will be 24' X 36".

Now picture the long side (south facing) having only one door to the left, and two doors on the right END.
    Back side will be poured concrete, for at least back (north) and possibility 1/2 of each end poured concrete as well.

This poured wall will be dug back into the side of the hill as far as the top of the back wall, with proper drainage and sealing installed.

In side the building along this back wall, the plan is to also pour interior walls for a room approx 8 ft X 16', with one steel door on the end opening into the interior. Read: storm shelter/bunker/fairly secure over winter storage, ( thermal mass, below ground level, small room easy to maintain supplemental heat for storage) Canned goods, and what ever need to be kept dry,... Preps, cots, water, etc.etc.

Also make this room an "equipment room" for electrical controls and other systems ventilation, water (pump to house well), and if necessary sanitary facilities.

Balance of building will be typical storage vehicles, tractor, work benches, tool storage.

South wall, one door leading out to the south on far end would line up with down hill drive way.
    balance of wall would be passive solar collectors in stead of standard siding...have a plan on what I want for a passive heating system. (later if interested)

As this building is to have a loft, so up stairs storage, and DW 'craft room" and have a separate stairs leading down to front. (and possible hatch to down stairs secure room)

Also notice the celestial windows, I would reverse them to face north for ventilation and provide passive light.

As the walls/rafters would be framed in 2" X 6" studding/rafters will allow for at least r-20 something insulation.

Bal. of exposed building not covered with solar collectors, or bermed/buried into the hill, will be 8' log siding to match house.

Still to be worked out will be ceiling/roof of interior room, think about timbers???To be announced.

I will be the necessary distance from road, (measured), electrical Co-op will install a "net metering" meter (from house)and controls for future electrical panels, on the south facing roof.
    So That is my plan.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've thought about your plan before. In my version, my safe room was in the hill side and the building was in front. The hill and building camouflaged the safe room. Hopefully, if someone was standing on the inside or outside of the building they wouldn't know another room existed.

that looks like my ideal workshop.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I like your plan with one exception. Work out something for the DW so she doesn't have to climb stairs for the craft room. My house is two story and the stairway is getting longer and steeper with each passing year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My concern with what I "think" your design is - with part of the structure "dug in", and part exposed - what is up the hill that could potentially slide down onto the roof?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like your plan with one exception. Work out something for the DW so she doesn't have to climb stairs for the craft room. My house is two story and the stairway is getting longer and steeper with each passing year.
    Yeah, seems I better get at it or we both will be on the ground floor.....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    My concern with what I "think" your design is - with part of the structure "dug in", and part exposed - what is up the hill that could potentially slide down onto the roof?
    No more likely than the whole hill sluffing off and sliding down.

Location is directly in front of the tractor, driveway to the right, hill and field to the left, past the weeds, hill not that steep right there.
    You are looking directly west.....

Last edited by hunter63; 11-09-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added stuff

Wait. Wait. Before he says it. What's that white stuff?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL, LOL, LOL....Just got an e-mail for the neighbor out there got the first 2" this morning

South wall is going to be based on this system for passive heat:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...rn_project.htm

looks like the perfect shop

i didn't notice anything off at first, but i'm starting to think that's a CG image.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wait. Wait. Before he says it. What's that white stuff?
    Thank you. Thank you very much.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter 63:
    Y'all know I have been there. I like your "place". But I am a "flat-lander". I have reservations about the slopes, and sliding earth. Please do be sure to consider that as you plan.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Yeah Mert, it will be sorta blocking drive going down the hill, will need to re-grade slightly.......

Plan is... sonnet tubes in ground, then pour slab, planned area is on 'virgin" hill side, not fill, so will comply to local codes, (for what that's worth?)
    They actually differentiate between fill and virgin ground on hill sides.....never heard of that before.

Drainage is also a concern, but there is a dip in the driveway before the building, considering a 12" tube culvert, and re-routing down hill drive.