Thread: 'maters gone wild.

Default 'maters gone wild.

This year, I had pretty good luck with some 'maters that I planted in the flower beds. Well...they were doing OK, then Irene (The storm, not the lady) came through and blew them over. I kinda stood them up, but most were broken. I guess I wanted to see if the plants were strong enough to live, and boy did they. They took off like vines. Some ran across the ground, some climbed into rose bush's and some even climbed a rose trellis. I was laughing about them this weekend. They are still producing 'maters. They are not really big, but they taste great! I have ripe 'maters on the ground, I have ripe 'maters that appear to be growing out of roses, and I have 'maters 5 feet off the ground on a rose trellis! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

You did better than me, I had 15.....Yup so few I could count them!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

My mater season was relatively short. The heat was brutal (working on ideas for prolonging it). We ended up with 106 pounds of tomatoes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The garden pretty much sucked salt water this year. Way too much rain early and way to much heat late. Lousy year for growing stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The garden pretty much sucked salt water this year. Way too much rain early and way to much heat late. Lousy year for growing stuff.
    This highlights an excellent point. I know that some have said - "I'll just grow what I need". Some years you will, and some years you won't. Always good to have a plan B.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It was even a tough year for wild edibles. Cattails flooded early then most shallow water dried up in the heat. The lake here dropped about six feet so that will give you an idea of how dry it was late. They do pull water from the lake for drinking for Indy but it was still low for a normal year. Dandelions did well in spots where the ground was high and in shade. Purslane even had a difficult year. That's why wandering herds wander I guess.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This year was terrible for gardens. The few potatoes I dug up were rotting, the beans were burned up by the sun, and deer ate all of the sweet potatoes. The only plants that produced were the peppers. I won't have to buy cayenne for years.

100th post by the way.
    Last edited by mouse111111; 11-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

You are now officially an old timer. Congrats!!

I will agree that it has been an odd year.
    Spring, 50's cold, rainy lasted till about June 15 the this year, then up to 90's-100 degrees, dry from then till Sept....now into Nov. and still have leaves on the trees.
    I know this is unusual, as several big cities have postponed the end of leaf pick up moving it back for 2 weeks.

Rabbits got my beans and peas twice.......

Tomatoes and peppers still hadn't froze out, but picked then green and pulled the plants, for desposial at the land fill....kinda getting the tomatoe blight under control.
    Been bad last couple of years.

Balance of crops have done OK, lettace, radishes, chard, spinach, cukes, sweet corn..............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

try controlled gardening .. bathtubs fulla top soil .. covered with plastic clear roof .. water when necessary ... if yer out yonder in a crisis mother nature isn't likely to co-operate the way you would like her to ! I grow everything thisaway and its more work but its a sure thing
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

My garden has a lot of clay, so everything that grows in it tastes great, but it is just hard to grow some things. But one thing that it does grow is squash! I think squash will grow anywhere, and will always make more than you really want. This spring I am going to haul in about 4 truckloads of manure and hopefully that will kick it in gear. I am also going to start tilling in leaves in the fall to help mulch up the soil.