Thread: Question on pads..

Default Question on pads..

Tried searching the forum so as not to bring up something that's been covered before but I didn't find any exact information (and I might not have been looking hard enough either), but I'm not familiar with sleeping pads. I use a bedroll for my excursions, haven't even been inside a tent in over ten years. For as long as I can remember I have been using a saddle blanket as a pad. It's worked well for me both summer and winter and in a number of different places and temperatures, but it's heavy and bulky. I'm in the planning stages of an extended trek through the Rockies and need to shave weight off. That brings me to my question. What are some of the sleeping pads you guys like, or would recommend? Trying to find something as compact as possible, lightweight, but still ample for insulation against the ground. I figure some of you will know more about this subject than me, any help and suggestions, or even a direction to start looking in would be greatly appreciated.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Sleeping pads are a relatively new investment for me and something I had to go to as I got older. I ordered a couple of used military self inflating thermarest pads off eBay and couldn't be happier with them. They were inexpensive and high quality. Phil gave a 3/4 length thermarest away at the jamboree a couple of years ago and I was lucky enough to win it. I really like that rascal too. If you are weight conscious then the 3/4 length may be right for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just ordered a sleeping pad yesterday from REI. It's a Therm-a-rest 1.75" thick sleeping pad. It's not light weight, but we'll use it mostly for car camping. This one I ordered is for my son for Christmas. It's full length, and the material on the top is not the slick nylon that they always seem to have. It's supposed to keep your bag from slipping while you sleep. Also, depending on your bag (if it has loops on the sides) you can buy/make some clips that clip to your bag, and then go under the sleeping pad to clip to the other side of the bag. It is also supposed to keep you from slipping on the pad.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

There are three types of pads that you want to look at. The key to any pad is insulation. A pad without insulation is pointless, unless you couple it with an insulation pad (more weight). The three pads are:

1. Closed cell foam- lightest, cheapest, least comfortable and most bulky option. For a lot of people, especially youth (under 20) this is by far the best option. It is simple, fool-proof, and doesn't break. Walmart's blue foam pad is around $6 and has an R value a little less than 2. The Thermo-Rest Z-rest and Ridge-rest are the high end with a little more weight, a higher R value, and around $40. People get around the bulkiness by using creative packing, or simply attaching to the outside of the pack.

2. self-inflating- These are the most popular inflating pads. They are the cheapest inflating pads, but more expensive than the CCF. Most Thermorests are self inflating.

3. Non-self inflating- These are more comfortable, generally have a higher R value, and are the most expensive. Some come with a pump, others you need to blow up with your lungs. These are also generally more compact than self-inflating. When comparing weights to self-inflating, you need to compare R values to get an equal comparison.

When I sleep on the ground, I usually use a BA insulated air-core which has a higher R value than most self-inflating, is more compact when in my pack, and is way more comfortable. It also cost more. In winter I put a ridgerest under it for more warmth.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

When I was doing Army stuff, I was on a quest for a better sleeping pad. The issue one worksgreat, however, it won't stay flat till you lay on it and takes forever to put away. The thermarest inflatables took forever to put away and could get leaks from the wilderness pointies.

I got one of these.
    http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pro...2_3010crx.aspx

Many problems solved. It "rolls" up fast, it's real small, the nubs cause it to not slide on uneven terrain while you sleep. It's green.

I even out the ground underneath me with coniferous boughs and slap that badboy down and happiness ensues.

These days I make a cot that my buddy showed me how to make. I used 2 hugarian canvas ponchos, but he uses potato sacks. Just run 2 sticks through the sides of the sacks and you have a cot.

Maybe you can make out the cots.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

ETA- Mine has lasted 13 yrs. yes 13 yrs and I use it on the cot.
    Last edited by Winter; 11-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

The egg carton design is a good one. Walmart sells a similar design but I'm sure it isn't the closed cell like yours. I purchased it and cut it to fit the back of my pickup and it made a great bed. Warm and comfy as you said. It was pretty bulky to roll up so I'd like to see the one you posted in action. I really liked the one I made aside from the bulk.

So how did the Hungarians feel about you using their ponchos? Yeah, you can make out the cots. Thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it! Taking what you guys have suggested as well as reviews and a little research I think I've decided to pick up a Thermarest Z-Lite pad to start with, put it through the paces this winter and see if it's ample, or if I need to go in a different direction. The big trek is still a ways off so I have time to test some new gear pretty hard before I'm in a position where I'm relying on it. Thanks again to all of you, I'm sure as time goes on I'll have more questions and/or be looking for advice.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    When I was doing Army stuff, I was on a quest for a better sleeping pad. The issue one worksgreat, however, it won't stay flat till you lay on it and takes forever to put away. The thermarest inflatables took forever to put away and could get leaks from the wilderness pointies.

I got one of these.
    http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pro...2_3010crx.aspx

Many problems solved. It "rolls" up fast, it's real small, the nubs cause it to not slide on uneven terrain while you sleep. It's green.

I even out the ground underneath me with coniferous boughs and slap that badboy down and happiness ensues.

These days I make a cot that my buddy showed me how to make. I used 2 hugarian canvas ponchos, but he uses potato sacks. Just run 2 sticks through the sides of the sacks and you have a cot.

Maybe you can make out the cots.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

ETA- Mine has lasted 13 yrs. yes 13 yrs and I use it on the cot.
    Very cool thanks for posting, I trying to get away from sleeping on the ground on a pad myself, had a couple of vid's on you "Cot style".....Gonna do it soon.
    Thanks for the pic, looks cozy.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by TheWaywardOne View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it! Taking what you guys have suggested as well as reviews and a little research I think I've decided to pick up a Thermarest Z-Lite pad to start with, put it through the paces this winter and see if it's ample, or if I need to go in a different direction. The big trek is still a ways off so I have time to test some new gear pretty hard before I'm in a position where I'm relying on it. Thanks again to all of you, I'm sure as time goes on I'll have more questions and/or be looking for advice.
    The Z-lite is probably the best CCF pad there is. Well, the Ridgerest is the same thing, just a different way to roll it/fold it up. If it isn't comfortable to you, then you need to go away from CCF's. It all depends on how well you can sleep on the ground. Of course, I use a ridgerest in my hammock and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Holy hot dang....you found a z-rest that is green. I wish I had found that when I was in.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The Z-lite is probably the best CCF pad there is. Well, the Ridgerest is the same thing, just a different way to roll it/fold it up. If it isn't comfortable to you, then you need to go away from CCF's. It all depends on how well you can sleep on the ground. Of course, I use a ridgerest in my hammock and love it.
    That's good to hear. I hope I'm happy with it, it sounds like it ought to work out well. I sleep on the ground pretty well, normally don't use any type of padding except for in the winter. If it's extremely muddy I'll use a hammock, but it's pretty dry most of the time in my neck of the woods.

You must still be young. I slept on the ground up until a few years ago. I found myself rolling around like a turtle on it's back trying to get up in the mornings. My joints finally started working a couple of hours after coffee. A pad made all the difference.

I love my coleman self inflating bed roll. Problem is...I bought two a while back and haven't been able to find them since.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

I've seen Wal-Mart selling the Coleman self-inflating. I thought about getting one but read bad reviews online about them leaking air. Glad you like yours.
    I've asked a similar question elsewhere and got various answers but have gotten an inflatable 3/4 Thermarest and like it. One thing suggested to me that you may want to consider (it may get cold since a lot of air can circulate in it) is an inflatable pool float.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa