Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Suggestions

Default Vehicle Suggestions

My old vehicle is on its last legs and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on an all purpose vehicle to replace it. I only wanted to spend a few thousand on it, and wanted a smaller 4 wheel drive vehicle. Here are its uses. I live in a small town and drive it everyday, but work is only a mile or two away. It would be the vehicle I would use for things like camping, hunting, shooting, town errands, and towing a small trailer for truck type chores like getting firewood or lumber. We take my wife's van when traveling longer distances so it wouldn't need to do that. Of course I have always wanted an old Toyota FJ40 but not sure how practical that would be. I have also looked at Suzuki Samurai's, Toyota pickups, Newer body style landcruiser, Ford f150's, Jeeps, and 4runners. I was hoping to get something that is dependable and fairly low maintenance though I know an older vehicle will need to be kept up with at times. Once again, if this is a waste of your time or something you guys don't find interesting just ignore it or let me know. I just thought many of you guys might have some great thoughts that could help guide my decision. Thanks.

All good choices on your list. Find what you can afford - have a mechanic check it over (money well spent) - and go for it. I've owned some impractical vehicles in my life, but the pick-up trucks I have owned have served me well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Go to the local library and check their April issue of Consumer Reports. It will have the used car section and will list the best and worst vehicles to purchase based on owner surveys for reliability that Consumer Reports conducts. It also lists a price range and the best vehicles within that price range. You'll be able to see all the pro's and all the cons for any particular vehicle. That will let you know if body integrity is a problem for example or if the electrical system is the very best. And so on. Since you'll know the price range you'll have a better idea of whether you are getting a decent deal if you happen to find that vehicle.

I hope that helps. Good luck. Car shopping can be a real pain. Like you and Crash I can't be without a pickup and I prefer 4X4.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My vote would be pick up as well, especially if you are planning on doing all the activities you listed.

Last three have been Fords extended cab's 4X4's, mostly as that was the dealer that gave me the best deal.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

'85- '05 dodge dakotas are real good (v8 then v6), late '80s thru '90 f150s, '90s chevy silverados. all good choices

No they are not. I have a 96 Dakota and it has been a genuine pain in the arse. Just my luck to get one the year after the good ones. The gas mileage sucks salt water and I've replaced stuff on it that I've never ever had to replace on a vehicle before. But once you replace everything then it's not too bad.

The upper and lower ball joints on those model years all had to be replaced. The good news is Dodge picked up the tab. But not on the '96. No, they decided I should pay for those.

Dear Mr. Walsh,

You can kiss my proverbial @#$ you @#$@$ 2435@ @##$@# @#$# #$@#$~!!!!!!!!

Strong letter to follow.

Sincerely,

Your pal Rick
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you need a pickup to haul stuff: Nissan Frontier
    If you need space for people instead: Nissan Xterra
    If you need a big truck: Nissan Titan (though getting one for "a few thousand" would be a tough task)

Let me guess.....Nissan fan?

full disclosure - I owned one years ago and it was great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've actually been considering grabbing a late 90's cherokee, though with what Rick said, I'm gonna have to go do that before I purchase anything.

I own a Jeep Cherokee and used to own a Jeep Wrangler. Very good all around vehicles. The Wrangler with a 4.0 L is a very reliable motor, only problem with a Wrangler is very little room and towing/payload is very limited. An older Cherokee with the 4.0 L would be a perfect mid sized SUV for just about any situation.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

pickup's is my choice to but niassian's are good to

I like my '84 Tercel 4WD. Good gas mileage, and goes most places that I need/want to go.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I own a Jeep Cherokee and used to own a Jeep Wrangler. Very good all around vehicles. The Wrangler with a 4.0 L is a very reliable motor, only problem with a Wrangler is very little room and towing/payload is very limited. An older Cherokee with the 4.0 L would be a perfect mid sized SUV for just about any situation.
    I need a new vehicle for work, I'm a carpenter, but I don't have to carry around the heavy stuff, just my personal tools and some small material. Also, I want to use it for camping and going on the beach. Not much offroading, but I do need a 4x4 cherokee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No they are not. I have a 96 Dakota and it has been a genuine pain in the arse. Just my luck to get one the year after the good ones. The gas mileage sucks salt water and I've replaced stuff on it that I've never ever had to replace on a vehicle before. But once you replace everything then it's not too bad.

The upper and lower ball joints on those model years all had to be replaced. The good news is Dodge picked up the tab. But not on the '96. No, they decided I should pay for those.

Dear Mr. Walsh,

You can kiss my proverbial @#$ you @#$@$ 2435@ @##$@# @#$# #$@#$~!!!!!!!!

Strong letter to follow.

Sincerely,

Your pal Rick
    Sorry you had a bad experience with your Dakota's I had two a 1985 V6 5 spd and a 1998 sport, 318 Auto ( 5.2 L ). both were 4 wheel drives. The 1985 was good for 110,000 miles before I gave it to my then 16 years old son. He put another 50,000 miles on it and he used it for a desert truck. No problems no repairs.

The 1998 went 115,000 miles before we traded it off on a 2004 Grand Cherokee. No problems with that one either. We put a cat back on the 1998 and would get good gas milage traveling from Las Vegas to San Deigo. The Cat back really helped. Before CAT Back 17 MPG after Cat Back 23 MPG. All highway driving 75+- MPH
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

I've owned quite a few Chrysler products over the years but I won't own any more.

Toyota pickups are great. I have a 92' and it has almost 500,000 miles on it. Someone even tried to burn it for insurance money and it still runs.

If it works for the Taliban, it's good enough for me.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

I've got a 2003 Nissan Frontier crew cab, 6ft bed pick up. The back row is very small for adults, and my 11 year old is complaining about the lack of leg room. However, it's a great truck for my purposes. I wish I had the 4x4, but I don't really need it where I live. I like the longer bed because you can actually use it to haul stuff. It can handle sheetrock, but not as much as full size pick up bed.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

If you where it snows and snows alot , I would get a Hummer H2 , I bought one for that reason , where I live its all hills and last year we had 2 blizzards with snow more than 4 feet high , you couldnt see the road , who cares about roads when driving a Hummer , I went where I wanted to go period (I was sold completely) , My Hummer H2 is a 2006 got it for $22k all the bells and whistles (sold new for $75k) only had 50,000 miles on it! I wouldnt get anything else , my friends Jeep is a 2010 wrangler , that POS breaks down all the time !
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    Toyota pickups are great. I have a 92' and it has almost 500,000 miles on it. Someone even tried to burn it for insurance money and it still runs.

If it works for the Taliban, it's good enough for me.
    Mouse, what engine does that pickup have? Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? I sure appreciate all of the replies, this is what I was hoping for. I of course have my personal opinions (based upon limited experience), but am looking for all of your collected experience. If you guys have more to say, keep it up, I am drinking it in. And you have added to my search!! So again, thanks for taking the time. I was unaware of the Dakotas being good, I am going to look into them. I have the same opinion of Chrysler products as Rick seems to have, but since you guys have had great experiences with the Dakota and the Jeep cherokee will look into them.

Suzuki Samurais are unkillable !