Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of blade to start with?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by socom2173 View Post
    That one would do very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CizBaI6SBgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_HMD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRGu...eature=related

(I would avoid the ones with wood handles, they are not as strong.)

The wood handles are full tang, the plastic handles are only half or 3/4 tang, so the wood handle should be as strong or stronger than the plastic handles Moras. On top of that the laminated blade wood handles are some of the best outdoor blades on the market.

I have seen guys drive the Moras into trees and use them as steps to climb the tree. They are not going to fall apart half way through skinning a deer and I do not plan on stabbing any sheetmetal with any of my knives so the distruction test has little influnce on my choices.

Carbon steel/stainless steel? You kids need to keep in mind that humans have been surviving outdoors, working in the kitchen and fighting wars with carbon steel blades for close to 5,000 years. All you do is wipe the blade off and put a bit of oil on it now and then and you will be fine.

Any Mora you pick will be twice the knife that cheapa## Ozark Trail you are carrying now is. Just shell out the $8 and get one!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-15-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

ive already bought one. through the link i provided. also, lol, my ozark trail knife haha, i was batoning with it and it bent the lock back, so that it was further inside the knife, stopping the blade from shutting, so i put a coin from behind to try to bend it back it it just snapped off, so that was pretty good incentive to buy a fixed blade for 18 bucks lol

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The wood handles are full tang, the plastic handles are only half or 3/4 tang, so the wood handle should be as strong or stronger than the plastic handles Moras. On top of that the laminated blade wood handles are some of the best outdoor blades on the market.

Carbon steel/stainless steel? You kids need to keep in mind that humans have been surviving outdoors, working in the kitchen and fighting wars with carbon steel blades for close to 5,000 years. All you do is wipe the blade off and put a bit of oil on it now and then and you will be fine.

Any Mora you pick will be twice the knife that cheapa## Ozark Trail you are carrying now is. Just shell out the $8 and get one!

Socom - Why are you of the opinion the wood handled Moras are not as strong? They are the same blades in a different handle. Mora only makes one kind of carbon steel blade. They are all treated to 59-60 on the Rockwell scale.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've purchased several wooden handled Mora knives. Not only do they hold up as well as any other of the Mora knives I use, but they have more "character" than the plastic or rubberized handles.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would agree they are all similar on the blade end, Its the handle itself I was refering to.
    I have seen the wood handle "classic" break when pressed into hard use, It just started getting loose then it cracked and fell apart.
    Because Wood is softer than plastic and compresses when stressed,
    The plastic is harder and doesn't "give " like the wood does so it doesn't get loose.
    I have put far more stress on my plastic handled models and they are as thight as they ever were.

This is just an opinion from my own experience.

Mea Culpa. I thought you were speaking of the blade.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"Socom - Why are you of the opinion the wood handled Moras are not as strong? They are the same blades in a different handle. Mora only makes one kind of carbon steel blade. They are all treated to 59-60 on the Rockwell scale."

From what I understand there are diffenences, some of the newer plastic handled models use a "laminated carbon blade. This is a three part sandwich, with a core of high carbon steel protected by sides of tough lower carbon steel. The core of the laminated steel blades is 61-62." While the "Classic Models" have "a carbon steel (not laminated) blade."
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

There are also differences in blade thickness and length. Does it make a difference?..

I found this video of someone doing a review on the "Classic" style. The tip broke on the first stab into a 2x4.
    If you compare it to the 5 miutes and 20 seconds of abuse in the other video, you'll see the blade does look much stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-Jqnh9rYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_HMD...eature=related

Again, this is the impression I got. I don't want to start a debate so come to your own conclusion.
    Last edited by socom2173; 11-16-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Mora only makes four blades. The same ones they've made for years.

Stainless steel Knife blades are made of hardenable stainless steel- Sandvik 12C27 (hardened to HRC 57-58).

Carbon steel Knife blades of high carbon steel can be hardened to HRC 59-60 giving best possible sharpness to lowest price.

Triflex This modified carbon steel is best described as a material between laminated steel and plain carbon steel hardened to HRC 59-60 with a softer surface that improves the tensile strength considerably. Though it will not allow bending as laminated steel.

Laminated steel
    This steel grade is unique to knives from Mora. The core of the blade is of high carbon steel surrounded by a softer alloyed steel layer. (HRC 61)

hey, i just also wanted to let you guys know the final price i paid for that mora blade, shipped to my school in hungary. Ebay was the other place i was looking for one, but even the used ones, i couldnt find that cheap.

Subtotal: $12.99
    Discounts: -$0.65
    Shipping & Handling: $2.17
    Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $14.51

There's something wrong with that. Shipping from NJ to Hungary is over $11.00. If that's what you paid they lost money on the deal.

Hope it arrives as expected.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah well im happy

Yeah, me too. Wait, what were we talkin' about?

lol im happy with the price i paid for the knife i got....did you pay 15 bucks for the knife i got? if so i hope your happy

My knife arrived today! How can i post pictures to show you? also, id like some ideas on how i can modify it.

You just got a new knife and you want to modify it? Why not work with it and see how it works for YOU.

As to the pictures, you can load them to photobucket, the account is free, size them on photobucket to 600 X 400 and copy and past the photobucket code in your post. It's really pretty simple.

Banned

Default Blade

I recommend haveing 3 knives out in the field. 1. A folding knive, I use something from CRKT. 2. A fixed blade knife/survival knife, I like CRKT, SOG or Ka-bar. 3. A machete, I use the Ka-bar kukri. An axe of some sort is hady as well. I have a few different SOG tactical tomahowks and love them.

Banned

That's a good suggestion, Zen. I personally have one small pocket knife blade and a Gerber paraframe saw and blade. Looking into a smaller sized machete, perhaps the Gator Jr. from Gerber to add to my arsenal.

Ok, thankyou. Ive got a Mora Clipper 860 mg and a machete, but i dont know what kind. I know its a military issued machete made in 1945. It also says "True Temper" but i dont know if thats who made it or what. heres a picture if someone could tell me something about it that would be awesome!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Davidgraef, we are going to have to teach you about the usefullness of Google.

True Temper machette/1945, gave me 38,000 hits and the first 10 provided all the info anyone would ever need on the item.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?