Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPEEDHOOKâ„¢ Emergency Fishing & Snare Trapping Kit

Default SPEEDHOOK™ Emergency Fishing & Snare Trapping Kit

I was looking into purchasing the SPEEDHOOK™ Emergency Fishing & Snare Trapping Kit. Has anyone tried or used this product? I have read several reviews but I am still wanting to talk with someone that has used it. Here is the link for those that are interested in it also.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

I have never used that particular item before but if it lives up to the promise that the website makes then I think they should be in everyones survival kits as an easy way to almost surely catch a meal.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I have seen a demonstration by a person I trust, but have never actually used it myself. From what I saw (he wasn't trying to sell me the thing), it was effective. Downside is that, as with all bait, the fish has to get it in his mouth for it to be effective.

In a survival situation, the trap is much more effective in many, but not all, situations.

In WAY out of the way places, you could float two hairs on a hook and get a bite, because it's all new to the fish.

Trick to fishing is - don't give them what they're used to, give them what's a delicasy to them in their region.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Thanks I sure could use some of those

@Fog Harbor: did he show you how it was used as a snare? It states it can be used for both fishing and snare.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    @Fog Harbor: did he show you how it was used as a snare? It states it can be used for both fishing and snare.
    No, but I did see it used that way somewhere, I just don't remember where. I don't know if that works, but I would think it would. I mean you can use a regular fishing leader, so it ought to act the same, or even as a spring action...
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

I went ahead and ordered one to try it out. I will test it and let you know how it works.

Default really interested

Let me know how it works, it looks like a good product.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

i received this and it doesn't look that great.

i scanned all of the directions (double sided print on 2 small pages).

and took pictures of the kit....which looks blahhh for $13.

download it here....select "FREE" download at the bottom and enter in the code.

it's a RAR compressed file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/61608516...Hook_Snare.rar

I think snares work best, you can carry alot of thin wire (or cord). In my experience anything fancy is just too difficult under field conditions to pull off
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    I think snares work best, you can carry alot of thin wire (or cord). In my experience anything fancy is just too difficult under field conditions to pull off
    I wanted to drop a quick response. I tested this and wire from a survival kit in two locations of a stream. Both ways caught fish in one location but none in the other. My overall finding was go with wire/cord method and save money. When I get some time to do a full write up on what I found out testing this, I'll post it. I was testing another product at the same time that worked alot better. I'll try to post it in a week.

do you know if any retail outlets sell them ? id love to buy some

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I agree. I would buy one. How does the spring thing work on snaring? Also, do you think if you put some cheese on the hook and dangled it from the wall, you could catch mice?

Tbh in a survival situation I'd recommend making string from nettle fibres and using a thorn from a hawthorn through the string. Wrap the string about two rocks over the stream/river so that the hooks are dipped into the water, oh and put a worms on the hooks. It works a treat

Here's a link to a less expensive one.

http://www.epcamps.com/Speed_Hook.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey everyone... I wanted to post what I found with this product awhile back. But I decided to wait until I could test it a little bit better. I also wanted to take photos as well. I will have to wait because we are in an extreme drought here Ga. The stream we used has very little water running in it at the moment (about 2") and would not be a fair assessment of the product. (no fish in stream)

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    I wanted to drop a quick response. I tested this and wire from a survival kit in two locations of a stream. Both ways caught fish in one location but none in the other. My overall finding was go with wire/cord method and save money. When I get some time to do a full write up on what I found out testing this, I'll post it. I was testing another product at the same time that worked alot better. I'll try to post it in a week.
    sorry but i can't find it anywhere on here. how do you use wire to snare fish? i understand how this device works, but don't get how you use wire instead.

Ive never seen one, But looks like it would work.

You can set a snare for fish just like you would for an animal (in the water, of course). You can also attach a snare line to the end of a pole and stick it in the water. When the fish swims through...pull quick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

interesting i did not know or think a wire snare would work for fish! ill have to see this for my self next spring.