Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies choice concealed carry guns

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    most of the polymer autos will have a long hard trigger pull ,whether they are .22 on up , I would think starting out on a revolver would be the best way , but I dont believe a 22 is better than 45 in the drawer ,having worked in law enforcement for over 20 years Ive seen how pissed off a crazed drugged out bad guy can get , and when confronted with a 22 and shot with it , the defender (meaning the good guy) usually gets killed in the process or hurt pretty bad , now those carrying a 38 revolver either killed the bad guy or disabled him ,1 shot or more , but the caliber matters !
    I have a volunteer! You are right when it comes to a drugged out offender, but I've even seen them shot with a handful of 9's and 40's and still keep coming too (one was on PCP, i'm not sure about the others). For the large majority, you can get by with something as small as a .22. For me it has worked to dispacth a german shepard and it's simple presence has deterred two assaults on me. As a regular carry, I prefer at least a .32 because size does help. But if I'm taking fire, I'm going to find a way to get out regardless of it's size and most others will to.

trigger pull is usually an overstated consideration when you can properly surface the sear. it's not hard to do one's self, and it doesn't have to be very expensive to have a pro do it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Here is a few examples of .22 in action. The Red Lake Massacre started off with a .22.

http://www.ajc.com/news/clayton/arre...r-1149887.html

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...ngs-ar-235836/

I'm not saying the .22 is a killing machine, but it is the most popular cartridge in the world. I'd be willing to say almost everyones first firearm is a .22 of some sort. A large amount of us on here have even said a .22 would be a primary firarm to go to for survival for many different reasons. There are even survival rifles which are usually chambered in .22.

When I said a .22 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the drawer, I meant a .22 that is available is better to have than a
    .45 that isn't available because you left it at home because it is too big or the recoil is too uncomfortable.

I actually agree with both of you for the reasons you stated. When the shooting starts I'm not standing around to find out the caliber but there are enough instances where bad guys don't go down for a variety of reasons to warrant something with decent stopping power, IMO.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree that stopping power is a huge asset. Think of it like a vehicle. It is nice to have a car when available, but I would still take a bicycle over walking. Furthermore, I prefer a pick-up because a semi is a bit hard for me to control.

Unless I missed it...No mention of how she intends to carry said weapon was made. I feel the selection process needs to start there. I learned long ago that dynamite comes in small packages. We would be amiss in judging a woman solely on her stature. Like anything else it takes a familiarization process. She may very well outshoot us all with a 44 Mag. As mentioned above...Carnegie Hall. Find a range that offers "borrow" guns and work it to a caliber she's comfortable with. Slow but sure with a .22 is infinately better than fumbling with an ACP. I particularly like the 38 special revolver for this application. And I feel a revolver still has a great deal of the intimidation factor intact.

I agree with deciding how she is going to carry and then learning to dress around the gun. I do not think that women should first consider carrying in their purse. You can not get a repeatable and consistent draw and the weapon can be snatched as easily as the purse. Also, any carry method should consider movement while drawing. Stand naturally with your hands at your side. Bring your hand straight up to your waistline. This spot, usually just in front of your front pocket for most people, is the optimal draw spot. Move the holster and gun only as far as needed for comfort in a wide range of movement and as concealment requires. I get a lot of people who ask about ankle holsters. The right way to draw from an ankle holster is to carry it on the inside ankle of the weak side and draw by dropping to your strong side knee and lifting your pant leg with your weak hand and drawing the gun with your weak hand. I can't do that and run very effectively.

If you ever find yourself in the incoming lane of a bullet. You had better understand that the bullet always has the right of way. So, drawing a weapon is way more secondary then getting out of the path of the bullets. Shot placement trumps caliber. But, you ain't getting into a nice weaver or isosceles stance.

As for standing down range and willingly being shot at. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be shot by any caliber. Add the choice of caliber and I think you would find an instance where many people would choose a .22. While I'd wager the S&W .500 is very rarely chosen.

I had a chance to check out some of the recommendations, most in our price range. I just have to get her to the local shop and get them in her hand. Elvis, to answer your questions, if you look at the original post my wife has 0 experience 0 opinion 0 point of reference. All that has been determined is concealed carry self defense.

I realize the question is close to asking for the best survival flip flops and I apologize.

The suggestions and opinions offered have given us a lot to consider and has been helpful. I had an opportunity to check out a decent selection while visiting a friend about 2 hours away near the big city. I like the Body guard .38 but still have to get some in her hand.

Thanks Guys, I'll post any decisions as she/we become more educated on what is out there.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Now when you start talking about survival flip flops you are in an area of my expertise. I happen to know a thing or two about improvised footwear and often stop on the highway to scavenge new shoe sole material!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

See that?! That shoe on the highway is just like $4.00 laying there. That right there is a man after my own sole. (I slay myself. I really do!!!!!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tread lightly Rick. You don't want him to lace up and go into battle with you over the road givings. One of you may suffer defeet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One should always walk a mile in another mans shoes before placing judgement. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

I'd rather walk barefoot, than a mile in someone else's shoes.
    Have you seen what people are wearing these days?
    ...which reminds me...that's a subject matter for the rant thread.

Hand guns to flip flops.....hummmmm...
    Hey....... there's a shiny nickel!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nothing like sabotaging your own thread.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81574704...ip-flops-green

Whatever you do don't under any circumstances google Tactical Thong. Just Don't do it.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 11-11-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

Hey! If you go to images and scroll down there's a picture of me!!!! WooHoo!

What were you doing googling tactical thongs? Karl, you are a sick, sick man.

It s like a wet paint sign, isn't it. You just had to see it actually existed.

Made you look!!!

On the plus side one of the images did show a concealed cary method.
    Karl

That's just wrong on so many levels. You sir, are one sick puppy. Probably why I like you so much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I strive for perfection, t just seems to be misdirected at the moment.

http://www.cafepress.com/digitallydumb.441958909

JUst say'n
    Karl

All good advice. The only thing I can recommend is after you purchase the pistol get your wife some training, with someone other than you. No offense but most husband /wife training doesn't go to well. It's the law of nature women don't want to hear how to do something from their husbands... . All kidding aside training from a competent third party is the way to go. If you want to take it to the next level and you are heading to Vegas and have a couple of extra days pm me and I can give you some info on a world class school that's an hour away. My wife and I just came back from a two day defensive handgun course and she loved every minute of it. So did I but I also grew up shooting. Just my .02