Thread: Pythons are eating adult deer in the glades now!

Default Pythons are eating adult deer in the glades now!

They killed a 15' 7" python in the eastern glades that had just eaten a 76 lb doe.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/blo...,3021159.story

that's one huge snake

Looks like the big freeze a couple years ago didn't get as many as the researchers initially thought..
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Yeah, but you guys have little deer.

(jotting down one more reason not to visit Florida. Man eating snakes.)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't get it, if I understand correctly there is a season for killing them? They are an invasive specis which apparently thrives in this environment ( can u believe it?). Why not just shoot them on site and be done with it? I realize this probably won't control them a whole lot but it sure wouldn't hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I don't get it, if I understand correctly there is a season for killing them? They are an invasive specis which apparently thrives in this environment ( can u believe it?). Why not just shoot them on site and be done with it? I realize this probably won't control them a whole lot but it sure wouldn't hurt!
    Last I knew it required a depredation permit in FL issued by the USDA to hunt pythons. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Wonder what they taste like.

Chicken....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    Wonder what they taste like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Chicken....
    If it's anything like bullsnake off a campfire it's a little rubbery in texture like overcooked yard bird, slightly gamey taste like snapping turtle neck. Bland for all practical purposes. Like the aborigine says in the second Crocodile Dundee movie "Needs gah-lic."

You can humanely kill them on site during hunting season. You need a permit to hunt them outside of hunting season on public land.

They want you to report each trip even if you don't see any. They also want you to make at least 5 trips to each WMA listed on your permit per quarter. You also are supposed to have experience handling large constrictors, experience capturing wild snakes, and experience working in remote areas. Then you are supposed to photograph each snake and mark the location with a GPS.

What was it we were talking about again.

All of that being said, I doubt you would be in trouble if you killed any invasive on sight "humanely". They just don't want to encourage inexperienced people from tangling with such large potentially dangerous snakes. If you have never tried to get a pythons teeth out of your arm you might not understand the danger. Their teeth hook into you and it is very difficult to get them off out of you. Even when the snake wants to let go it has to work to do so.