Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants, just saying

I forgot -

You are more likely to get sick from the gas pump handle or putting your kid in Daycare than restaurants.

I remember my son bringing home one illness after another and infecting my wife and I over and over again as each virus and pathogen was different.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    I hate eating out , I dont trust the "help" I dont care if its a 5 star or 1 star , I hate the fact that the waiters/wiatresses dont have gloves on when they bring the food , my wife would rather eat out everyday , I cant stand it, its gotten worse in the last few years, I look around the place and notice how nasty the floors are , the walls, the ceilings and look behind the counter (if its fast food joint) , the nice sit down joints, just as nasty , and all you can eat buffets , terrible , the guy that just picked up the chicken leg in front of you , "did he wash his hands before he did that?"

I know what your thinking what does this have to do with survival , everything , GERMS, VIRUSES , they live in restaurants ! This will be where it all starts (and ends) , not the water supply like most people think , a place like McDonalds will cause the largest death toll because thousands eat there everyday and if something is infected at one then there are others infected as well!
    Sorry that's wrong too, Taco Bell not Mc Donalds...

2010 Major Salmonella Outbreak Running Tally

We've been providing a monthly running tally of major Salmonella outbreaks since this spring. Three more outbreaks to report today; one a little weird--Salmonella I4,[5],12:i:l inked to frozen mice; another a Salmonella outbreak linked to the famous Fort restaurant in Morrison, Colorado; and the last, and biggest, a major Salmonella serotype baildon and hartford outbreak linked to Taco Bell.

The Salmonella outbreaks reported in past editions of this running tally include

1. ConAgra's Marie Calendar's brand Cheesy Chicken and Rice frozen entrees
    2. Skokie Country Club Outbreak
    3. Caldwell Fresh Foods Sprouts Outbreak
    4. Utah Raw Milk Outbreak
    5. Casa Lopez Outbreak in Ohio
    6. Los Dos Amigos Outbreak
    7. Subway Outbreak in Illinois
    8. Salami and Pepper Outbreak
    9. Chico "Margarita Mix Off" Outbreak
    10. Salmonella spinach and lettuce outbreaks/recalls

Salmonella Outbreak at The Fort:

An outbreak of Salmonella in Morrison, Colorado has been linked to The Fort restaurant there. At least 28 patrons of the restaurant have been sickened, many after consuming rattlesnake cake, a crab-cake like dish made with rattlesnake meat. The Jefferson County Health Department has not yet identified the ingredient that made the diners ill, but it may be eggs or even the rattlesnake meat itself.

Mexican restaurant Salmonella baildon and hartford outbreak:

The CDC has announced that it is investigating outbreaks of Salmonella linked to a Mexican fast food chain, which they have not yet named. There are two strains of Salmonella involved - Salmonella Hartford and Salmonella Baildon. Both may be linked to the same restaurant. As of August 4, 150 people have been confirmed as part of the outbreaks. The Salmonella Hartford outbreak has reported 75 ill in 15 states since April 1. The breakdown by state is CO (1 ill), GA (1 ill), IL (5), IN (11), KY (23), MA (2), MI (3), MT (1), NC (1), NH (1), NY (1), OH (19), PA (1), SC (1) and WI (4). The Salmonella Bialdon outbreak has reported 80 ill persons since May 1, 2010. The number of ill people identified in each state with this strain is as follows: CT (1), GA (1), IA (1), IL (20), IN (4), KY (5), MA (1), MI (4), MN (5), NJ (6), NY (2), OH (6), OR (1), WA (1) and WI (22).
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Look I eat out all the time , what Im saying is this , look at the state health board ,in Oklahoma they list restaurants in every town for violations , most have to do with roaches and rodents ,(1.) after viewing these ,which are monthly reports , even the high joints have these problems , they have refrigeration problems , trust me its not good , and in Mexico I guess they dont care about cleanliness anyway , so while here in America why practice something that you dont do at home ,Im not picking on Mixeicans here , its all over the place , sit down in a KFC and enjoy your chicken , dont feel bad when you look up at the cieling and theres roaches crawling around in the lights ,just keep eating , dont feel anything when walk up to Applebees and notice they have rat traps anlong the side of the building! (2) Just go in there and enjoy the chicken strips!

Lol at the comments about the Corps , Ive eatin in and at many places that most people wouldnt take a dump in!
    (1) Well we are both on the same page there but if you look at the total number - the one's that have problems are small percent of the number. Its the Health department's job to be inspecting and keeping sole proprietors in line... even when they are my customers - I too submit sanitation reports to chefs and food prep managers about their jobs. I have turned down a private golf course resturant for service -because they were filthy... Yet some of those reports that you are reading are based on the "possibility of an infestation" they have no bugs - but the inspector found the restaurant wasn't doing enough, so they get a notation. I have worked with some inspectors on this.

(2) By your observation on this, you don't understand what you are looking at. They are NOT rat traps - they are Safety Complexes. They are there because the restaurant is practicing good Integrated Pest Management. Mice & Rats are nocturnal, I have two of those boxes at the side of my house. I use them to protect my pets from accidental poisoning. We place those boxes around the base of a restaurant to PREVENT a problem from ever getting started. When I set up a restuarant account I install those boxes - to reduce squirrels - rats and mice through the year near dumpsters and sides of walls.

They are there as part of American Institute of Bakery Standards for pest Management. This is a Quality Control Compliance Standard IF you see them - that's a good place to eat. It means they have their game on.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Or they are serving "game" meat......whichever.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't understand Rick.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Deep-fried rat- yum!!
    Not too good for you though. I prefer my rat steamed, not as good but much healthier.
    As you can see, I'm very health-conscious
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WOO
    It means they have their game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Follow me on this.....This is humor......I'm drawing slowly so you can follow.......Now, this is a play on words......See how that works? At this point you chuckle. Humor+Play on words=chuckle. No, you don't have to thank me I just tried to brighten your day....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sign on Chinese restaurant.
    "No ask anymore...We no see your pussy cat"

Had a service call at a Chinese restaurant, on Thursday, compressor went out on walk in freezer, didn't want to pay for a new one.
    Saturday's paper advertising 'All you can eat Sunday dinner buffet"........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ever notice, if you see a Chinese restaurant, theres an aminal hospital/vets office near by? Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    MY, my, Marines have changed sine I was working with them!
    I guess they have lol, when deployed to Thailand we were ordered to stay away from the "home" restaurants, or those places that serve off their back patios. I think it took us fifteen minutes to violate that order That said, I can say I am avoiding our local Chinese Buffet, love the food but you have to go through five plates to find a clean one.

Here, as I'm sure they do in most cities, the local news runs a weekly piece called "The Restaurant Report". They go in and show the viewers the inside of places that got failing grades from the board of health. They also feature the highest scoring restaurants. Anyway....... A while back I was talking to a friend that worked in code enforcement and mentioned the Chineese fast food place that was featured on the previous night's news. He said it wasn't a "restaurant" problem but rather the warehouse that supplies them. Code enforcement has cited them just about weekly. They were working on shutting them down unless they cleaned up their act. That warehouse supplies 100% of the Chineese take out places in town.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well interesting thread - I don't often get a chance to add things here.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Do you serve them at your bakery? Are they farm raised?Were they caught utilzing good Integrated Pest Management?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

No - they were put back with mom and set in the woods. So what are you going to now - that we have "talked" it out?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Tell the truth. You were just playing possum weren't you?

In the wilderness we eat fish who swim in their own piss... but anyway, its good for your immune system =D
    It's the people who dont eat out all the time, and aren't immune, who are going to really get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tell the truth. You were just playing possum weren't you?
    One of the more fascinating moments in my life...you can't just pick up one - they come out of the bucket like a barrel of monkeys.... all clingy.... then when you want to put them down you cant shake them off or set them down - got to work them off like taffy.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Might not be understanding for some but, as an old Marine, they're lookin' good.

Rebel thats the whole point of coming to any blog, the camaraderie, occasional learning and entertainment - if that doesn't fit - folk's just aren't right.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I have no issues eating out in any of the places in my neighborhood. Yeah it's not the cleanest in the world but what ever. Hell I have no issues eating food in TJ either. If it's got food in it I'll probably consume it, something that's never bothered me.

I watched a room mate eat 3 month old chicken something that was found in the fridge because well it was food. Nothing bad happened to him. Then again we're both not people that go to doctors. Patch yourself up, you get sick just deal with it and move on.

I've worked in a pizzaria and was a bar tender for a few years. There's nothing that a good shot of booze can't kill in your stomach if you ask me. Toss back an 18 year old irish whiskey and you're pretty much certain anything in your stomach (including beneficial bacteria) is completely dead.

When I'm out in the woods I grab random wild plants to add into my meals to "spice" them up. I gut the fish or animals I catch or trap and just eat them right then and there.

Now a days I just think people rely far too much on modern medicine and don't let their immune systems build up properly. Why else would bacteria and viruses be adapting to our medicine? Just stick it out and let your antibodies grow stronger.

Finally I do believe in the 10 second rule. If it's been on the floor or ground for less than ten seconds, just clean it up and eat it