Thread: Squirrel Hunting

Default Squirrel Hunting

Well guys, tomorrow I'm going squirrel hunting. First time this year and I am stoked!

I'm hoping to get four to make a decent stew. I'm a bit concerned since it'll be just a few degrees above freezing at opening time. I hope the little critters will be plenty active.

The trick to drawing them near is to show em your nuts.

You know.........act crazy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, this morning was a complete bust. At least with the squirrel hunting portion. I was kinda bummed too, since I thought I had found a great place. There were walnut trees all over the place and a small brook ran through it. It should have been a huge squirrel haven in my book.

I did get to see some small birds up close. Lots of sparrows, swallows, cardinals, a few crows and a few robins. One robin couldn't have been more than five feet away, so beautiful. I also saw some deer tracks and another set of tracks that might be racoon, but I'm not sure. They looked like cat tracks, but shorter and wider in dimensions and about the same size overall.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The trick to drawing them near is to show em your nuts.

You know.........act crazy.
    If that is how you squirrel hunt, I would hate to see how you trap beavers!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Nicely played, Nate!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Sorry to hear you got skunked, you trying to call them at all?
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    Nicely played, Nate!
    Dinner and a movie?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Honest I don't get it - I just put out fifty pounds of bird seed in a monster feeder and every squirrel comes running.. I pop so many off I have Hawks coming in to pick them up... I just line them up in the back yard in the early summer and thought after some 50 plus I had knocked down the neighborhood... just kept feeding the hawks until it all backfired.

The birds stopped coming to the feeders because of the hawks.... it was quite an operation up to about two years ago.

Squirrel Stew? nah - too lean for blokes
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

do you bait them, call them or still hunt? Unless they are thick as flies, I don't bother with still hunting. I have found that the "mister squirrel" call works really well.
    I know what hunts you.

I just still hunted. I usually find a place that would be suited for squirrel living and have at it. I have heard of squirrel calling, but never tried it. The place I went to is pretty popular for squirrels and have done okay there in the past. Today, for some reason, I didn't even see a single one.

Thanks for the info on mister squirrel Sarky, I'm gonna look into it.

Natertot - Not to tell you how to hunt but find a tree they have been working recently. They are more apt to return to it. If you want to try calling use two quarters and rub the ridged edges together. It sounds a lot like a squirrel bark. With enough practice you can even chatter using quarters. That's all we had when I was a kid.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    dinner and a movie?

roflmao!!!!!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Banned

Squirrel is a darned fine meat.

Ok, forgive my urban ignorance, but I view squirrel hunting the same way I view duck hunting. I've caught squirrels in cartoon esque traps, ie a box with a stick and a long string. Squirrel goes in to eat the bait and I yank the string, done. No mess and easy to reset and I can do it from the back porch.

As for ducks, toss some bread in a pond and whack one with a stick. Done.

Blog Entries

Groan. I come home, and what's the first thread that pops up.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Woods squirrels are not like urban squirrels. Urban squirrels have learned to trust their human friends and it sounds like you've betrayed that trust with death. Sad. Country squirrels, on the other hand, are nimble ninja like creatures rarely seen in the woods. Oh, make no mistake, they are there. But it's kill or be killed with country squirrels. While you may never see them if you are very quiet and listen carefully you just might hear one say, "Hold my beer and watch this."

Welcome back, oh, learned counselor.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Same difference between city people and rural people and levels of perception. What happens in the neighborhood park is not what happens outside the city limits.

The next county over has the highest incidence of auto strikes on deer in the state, they therefore think that hunters simply walk out and murder deer at will.

Many of them also seem to think they will feed themselves on venison killed with their .177 pellet rifles TEOTWAWKI.

As it is, the WMA just sent the animals their e-mail warnings of the impending open seasons and the ones with wi-fi have all headed out of state for a couple of months.

Then there are these guys;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi2JMPu6qCI
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by KYRat
    Many of them also seem to think they will feed themselves on venison killed with their .177 pellet rifles TEOTWAWKI.
    It's all about shot placement.