Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your NOT hunting - but wearing saftey orange in the woods - Why or why not? Thoughts

Default Your NOT hunting - but wearing saftey orange in the woods - Why or why not? Thoughts

Over on a hiking thread - not affiliated with the Boy Scouts - People are pushing an addenda to wear hunter orange in the woods or fields... Some of you might find that interesting. Folks thousands if not a million hunters drive as fast as they can each fall to get out there... most of us are very careful and take the time to scope out and identify what we are about to shoot. Here in Pa there are very few accidents. Maybe from memory 6-11 per year happen in PA and some is self inflicted. One young kid locally shot himself in the foot when he tripped in the local park. Statisically you are safe in the woods provided you don't wear black in western PA and brown in eastern pa - most hikes are in designated corridors that are marked no hunting or in areas of a park that is off limits here... Lets face it some find spiders life threatening... Lets all run out and wear hunter orange to avoid spiders..... wow.

Here is the trigger that started the annual thread on the blog. Apparently California has done it again....

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...ll|text|News|s

Just looking for ideas to calm some of the extremists down here.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I ran into this when I took over a new State Forest. The non-hunters working for me were afraid that all hikers where in danger of being shot. I talked with both and neither seem to have the problem. Just government types!!
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Blog Entries

I dont ware orange vest while hiking. But i also dont go hiking in active hunting areas during hunting season. For personal safety and so as not to disturb someones hunt.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I don't worry about it unless it's gun deer season...then I wear orange as well.....

Seems the fashion police are gonna save us all....just an end around for the gun control people.......

"Hikers will be shot with the evil guns unless you wear orange" Danger, Danger"
    What a crock
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    I dont ware orange vest while hiking. But i also dont go hiking in active hunting areas during hunting season. For personal safety and so as not to disturb someones hunt.
    Plus 1 on that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here in MA, it is 'suggested' that an orange vest during deer season is a good idea. A lot of the WMA lands are multi-purpose, hiking, biking, hunting, fishing. But it's only a suggestion.
    The 'identify target' is so drilled into us here, there really is very little danger. No one here wants to be the one labeled as The Hunter who killed Deer Season with a mistaken shot.
    Most savvy hikers are like Huntermj though and prefer not to disturb a hunt.

That said, even 20 years ago when doing wetland delineation work, we always wore orange vests and hats. Most of that work was done in fall when the leaves are down and on lands that were good hunting sites. And quite honestly, we were not popular, even though it was our job to protect the wetlands.
    Last edited by LowKey; 10-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.

I wear orange during rifle season for my own safty plus I am usally hunting

Only in deer season do I wear orange, unless I am actually hunting.

If I'm in the woods during gun season, I wear some item of hunter orange. I don't know of many "brush busters" around here but, it only takes one.

Even in the "off seasons," when I take my kids out into the woods I often have them wear hunter orange ball caps simply because it makes it easier for me and my wife to keep track of them.

Blog Entries

If it's gun hunting season and I am going into the public woods for a walk, I wear safety orange end of story. This also goes for my kids. There are alot of idiots with guns in the woods during hunting season and I plan on living through it. I also make sure that we don't wear brown, green is mandatory. No red, white, or blue during turkey season. It only takes on bullet to take a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    I ran into this when I took over a new State Forest. The non-hunters working for me were afraid that all hikers where in danger of being shot. I talked with both and neither seem to have the problem. Just government types!!
    Hahahaha, the guns will attack people. They really think that.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

So, if non-hunters are safe in the woods without hunter's orange, then why are hunters required to wear it? for non-safety? as punishment for being a hunter? What?

I have an orange ball cap I take with me. I also carry an orange vest in my pack to wear if I'm in a multi-use area. Mostly I do my hiking/canoeing on Sundays.
    But like huntermj said, I do that to not disturb the hunt.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lets get the facts straight.. There are 100 eager, trigger-happy, hunters in the woods I'm about to step into. They hauled butt to get out there. I will be wearing my orange. That's just good sense. I'm with huntermj and FVR.
    It only takes one idiot to end a life. I've seen what a 30-30 hollow point can do to a deer or a feral hog. I don't want to get hit with one. It's just good sense to wear the vest.

I'm also with Hunter and Lowkey. We have a lot of multi-use property here and orange is suggested any time you are in them during hunting season. Personally, I don't see it as a big deal. I have an orange ball cap that I wear. Mandatory or just a suggestion is really a flip of the coin. Safe conduct is safe conduct no matter what you are doing. Like the rest of you, I don't need an LEO looking down at me saying, "What are the odds that someone would have mistaken that coon skin cap for a deer?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll pile on and say I wear orange in my woods during hunting season.

Although I probably wouldn't end up in the cross-hairs of a hunter if not wearing orange, I want my presence to be known so hunters are aware of people that are potentially down-range.

Just don't use white toilet paper in the woods during deer season.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    Just don't use white toilet paper in the woods during deer season.
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! That is great!

I really think that way too much is made of the hunting clothes.
    Most everyone in Wisconsin know when the gun deer season is, and wear orange weather they hunt or not,,,,like wearing Christmas sweaters...it is kinda a tradition.

When you figure that 800,000+ hunter are in the woods, the safety record for the whole season is amazing good....better than Milwaukee for one day.
    Coupled with hunter education classes, and a rural population (a lot of people are rural), that don't get all shaky when seeing a firearm.

Still it's a good idea to wear the orange, for your own piece of mind, like buckling up your seat belt.

I hunted in a lot of states, where camo is the norm, was looked at funny when I had an orange coat/hat,..."Don't wear that, the deer will see it"...I disagree, from my experience....they are color blind....camo is for people, not animals.

I really think this whole subject, is just another way to stir up anti-gun sentiment...."Don't go in the woods a crazy hunter will shoot you....maybe could have saved you if he wouldn't have gutted you out first"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

you won't catch me in a hunting area during season without obvious unnatural color. I hate seeing all these bright colors in ourdoors gear 'uglying up the woods', but i don't want to get shot by an impulsive hunter. that would be less fun.

it's not the 99.9% of safe hunters i'm worried about, but that they don't make the other 0.1% wear bells.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.