Thread: Camp food.

Default Camp food.

My 12 (nearly 13) year old just joined Boy Scouts! His first meeting, they practiced with knots and "cooked" what they called "camp food". Basically just bags of dehydrated food they picked up from the local Sporting goods store. His reaction to the "camp" food was that mine was so much better. HA! I WIN!! I add dehydrated veggies (that Winnie taught me to make), and some extra spices to my pack to make dehydrated meals more palatable. Any good LIGHTWEIGHT "camp foods" you can share?
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

This may interest you. Especially as the man is Scouting!

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

It's a great resource.(I've got it bookmarked.)
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Winnie is right - there are huge resources on BSA websites of kid tested recipes, where if they burn it - they will come. Often in the past my own scoutmaster was naive in cooking.. So I watched my own son get his cooking merit badge and he did OK. It sometimes means you sit back let them burn something in the kitchen, like making Pancakes the old way... then put the real maple surup on top with tons of butter and watch their faces light up.....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thanks Winnie, my Godsons are getting into outdoor stuff with the scouts. I think I have been hijacked to assist, this will be a great help
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

That is a great resource. I've used many of the recipes on that website. It's not just for scouts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Fantastic! Thank you! For some reason I think I've used that link before. I'm sure it's lost in my favorites somewhere! LOL!
    Last edited by Trabitha; 10-24-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Winnie, that is a super site, I can remember some of those from my scouting days.
    Some times this interweb thing is useful..... rather than just passing/wasting time.
    Thanks, great resource.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I remember the "Campfire Stew".
    Instructions

BROWN HAMBURGER,DRAIN FAT ADD VEG SOUP,LET SIMMER FOR 1hr.THEN ENJOY.
    I did enjoy. Good hearty meal for "Snipe Hunt" night.

Pete were you the sniper or snipie? Haha

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

When we went for long hikes we usually made chicken and rice, cause it was simple and very filling. Canned chicken works wonders for hikes. When we just went to a campsite, we got more creative. I made chicken parm one night in a dutch oven. Pre-cooking things helps a lot. I just had to basically reheat the chicken a little, then put in the sauce, let it all simmer for a little bit to get warm, then covered in cheese. Served when the cheese was melted. We've done steaks as well.

Cored apple cut in half with some sugar, cinnamon, and raisins are amazing if left in the fire till soft.

We actually weren't allowed to have hot dogs or prepacked hamburgers on our scout outings.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Pete were you the sniper or snipie? Haha

Willie
    I have been Both.

Man boy scouts has changed since I was in that group. The last meal I made camping included dehydrated rice (yes I love my dehydrator), a tuna packet, some dehydrated corn and I spiced it up with wild celery, mint and some other herb I found that I can't remember off the top of my head. Unfortunately the traps we set the night before didn't yield any small game so had to do the ghetto breakfast of the same thing again.

I am a firm believer that if you dehydrate your own food and add in wild edibles when you find them it's much better. I am sad that the two mud bugs I tried to catch weren't being very nice about dying in my cook pot.

The last meal I fixed in scouts involved tracking, killing and cleaning a carnisarous. Vicious little beggars but made a meal for the whole troop. The fact that it ate two of the scouts before we killed it helped on the portions.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The last meal I fixed in scouts involved tracking, killing and cleaning a carnisarous. Vicious little beggars but made a meal for the whole troop. The fact that it ate two of the scouts before we killed it helped on the portions.
    I do have a walker for sale if you need it

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh my,there's still snipes in the woods these days?

Here is my go to sight for food ideas.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/ The author sells a book, and I need to buy it, keep putting it off.

12 year olds are picky eaters generally. Whenever I get a new scout, they usually look at what we are making and decide not to partake, even with the older scouts asking for seconds and thirds. Some will eventually try it out that campout with a little coaxing. Others just starve until they get home. But, it doesn't take too many campouts before they all eat whatever I make. 14 year olds will eat just about everything you throw in front of them. I try and be as diverse as possible with the foods. I also like to experiment a lot. A lot of times I have to put stuff in the food while they aren't looking, then I tell them afterwards what they just ate.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

If you're a picky eater there's two ways to solve any taste of the food. It's called hot sauce or old bay seasoning Either of those two will make anything tasty. I do carry a thing of old bay and always have tobasco packets in my pack at all times. There have been times when what I catch doesn't look all that delightful so might as well spice it up to make it at least tolerable.