Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Snow Sled

Default What Kind of Snow Sled

One of the areas I'm short of preps on is snow survival. Snow is generally not a big issue here so preps have sat on the backburner while more pressing/important environs have been covered. I'm a bug in kind of guy but recognize that bugging out could be a real option and doing so with a lot of snow cover could prove to be a problem if the 4X4 won't go for whatever reason. I'm in the process of picking up some snowshoes and other gear but what I'd really like some input on is a man pull sled. I've been looking at this one:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ource=googleps

It's large enough to handle a few packs or even a person, it's relatively inexpensive so I could pick up a couple.

The land is flat as a pancake around here so just a pull rope is all that's required I think. Not a real need of solid pull handles since the sled won't be overrunning me.

I know some of you up North use them all the time so you're input would help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

http://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUT...&D=31&V=7&iss=

This is the brand that I use. They can also work as a boat to float cargo across water. We use the wide ones because of side hilling. But as you say you could use the narrow ones.

I agree with the Otter sleds. I have a Jet sled, which is close to the same design, but not as rugged as the Otter. I will say, that having a jet sled behind a snowmobile, saved a guy who broke through the ice with the snow machine, but the Jet sled held the machine up long enough for him to get off, and with help of others they were able to pull the whole rig back before it went under water.

I do like the Otter sleds. They look more rugged than the deer sled and the moulded runners will probably pull straighter. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do like the Otter sleds. They look more rugged than the deer sled and the moulded runners will probably pull straighter. Thanks!!

Remember they are useable in the summer if you have flat sleding.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, I wonder if there would be a market for the "Whole" Survival Sled (year around)....? You would buy the sleds wholesale, assemble a basic survival kit, or advanced survival kit, maybe make a plywood cover w/wingnuts. and sell the whole package. You know old people can't pack 40# but they could pull 40#. And they could cut the pull rope, and each pull, could even have a handle on the rope.

They actually make a harness for sled pulling and they are pretty cheap.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...rness-3124.cfm

I'm toying with the idea that a small canvas drop cloth cover would 1. Keep the snow out 2. Help camouflage it and 3. Give you some place to crawl into if you had no other place to go. At least you'd be out of the wind. I thought a guy might be able to build a small frame work out of conduit that could either be mounted to the lip of the sled or sit down inside the sled. You could throw the canvas over the framework and secure it with bungie cords and have a small portable shelter with very little additional weight. A canvas/tent maker could probably whip a cover up pretty cheaply too. I'm sort of envisioning something like the cover on the back of a deuce and a half.

Where you are the commercial aspect would be probably be a good one. Around here there isn't the snowfall to justify that kind of investment and the shipping to the north country would be prohibitive.

You put me on the right track. This is the one I'm thinking about now.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...d&merchID=4005

I wonder how an old style toboggan would work? If you could find one at a yard sale or on Craigs list??? I've always liked them - they hold kind of a special place from my youth.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I looked at those but there aren't any sides to hold your gear in and keep the snow out. They are pretty cheap, however.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=504660

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have two "Otter" model # 1150 The geese use them for ponds in the summer, I haul freight in the winter.

http://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUT...&PID=7323&iss=

I guess this is the idea behind it:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5119041/scooting_dogs/

Okay, wrong thread but it's still funny.

Maybe she was thinking bean glop powered sled?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The sled gave me the idea that if you could slide instead of walk, you'd be able to pull more weight. Nes pa?

Nes pa. That's dirty isn't it? I knew it. Shame on you.

I have a couple of Otter sleds my self. Indestructible. I have one larger one that I tow behind my snowmachine to stock our backcountry cabin for overnight dogsled tours. I have a custom aluminum tow bar that keeps the sled from running over me when I slow down, go down hills slowly etc... I use this sled as a pool for son in the summer

I have a small one that i drag around the dog yard and pick-up poop with. It'll hold a several hundred pounds of poop!
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post

I have a small one that i drag around the dog yard and pick-up poop with. It'll hold a several hundred pounds of poop!

That's the one Rick wants...........He will give top dollar if it is full....

First, my winter camping has been limited to 2 times out. Both times I pulled a sled. Okay, actually my dog pulled it. I didn't go very far, and the snow wasn't that deep.
    I have used one of those big black ones for deer hauling, and it did fine. I used a small kid sled, and it did fine, but was small. And I made one out of old skiis and had the boy scouts pull it. It did fine until they used it to sled down a big hill. I was able to fix it back at the house.

Anyways, look here for some more info. http://wintertrekking.com/index.php?...e_view&a_id=47

And, I actually made one of these. Maybe I should take pictures.
    http://www.hadfield.ca/Gear/tobaggan.html
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have used the nylon sleds a lot, I drilled holes on each side rail and passed nylon rope to act as anchor points.
    I will be in the process of putting sides on a 6' wooden toboggan.
    Rick include xtra long cross country ski poles to help balance your self as you pull and I wear an outside of my vest knife in case I pass through the ice I can cut myself away fron the sled as well as hand pick to pull myself out.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Blog Entries

This is the one FDF uses, and the only one I have used for long periods of time. I have only good things to say about it. Never seen one break, slides smoothly, can take huge loads and the pull system is comfortable.

http://www.sinex.fi/index.php?p=ahkiot&lang=en
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.