Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Round?

I have settled on a bolt 30.06 a 870 12 gauge a bolt .22 a pellet rifle and a pellet pistol its a total personnel thing I believe
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
    I have settled on a bolt 30.06 a 870 12 gauge a bolt .22 a pellet rifle and a pellet pistol its a total personnel thing I believe
    That's a good start...got the major stuff covered can't beat a 30-06 and 870 12 ga.
    Remember, there is alway next week.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

personally speaking unless your talking about defense dont waste your time looking for rifle / pistols of the same calibre , , go the proven route , with that said what kind of hunting are you looking at , deer? 240 or 270 are great deer hunting rounds and wont break the bank either rounds are plentiful and so are the rifles ! Carry Ruger a Blackhawk .45 as a sidearm if you must but unless there bear around I wouldnt worry about , stick with .40 sw like a Glock 22 or a Smith , but I wouldnt worry about same calibers rifle /pistol unless its for defense! I have a Glock 22 .40 sw and I also have a Kel-tec Sub2000 in .40 sw (with glock grips) which means the magazines are the same as my g22 , I have 5 mags including 31 rounder! Thats a great comb and I suppose you could hunt small game with the SUB as well(its very accurate)!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

There are a lot of ways to go. You stated that you wanted a rifle & handgun that shared a common round. Well, one option would be the Ruger in 357. You can have the same in 44mag. You can watch the video 77/357 features. http://www.ruger.com/products/rotary...57/extras.html. spec sheet: http://www.ruger.com/products/rotary...eets/7405.html. A sidearm in the same caliber perhaps: http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/...eets/1707.html.
    Last edited by rebel; 10-20-2011 at 06:37 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This one round thing goes beyond the scope of necessity.

Back in the wild west the cowboys were streching the capabilities of their sixgun by chambering it in a rifle caliber.

Today we are limiting our rifles by chambering them in pistol calibers.

The cowboys felt the same way and most of the SSA pistols were sold in .45 Colt, for which no rifle was chambered. It is one of those fables that will not die and just keeps feeding on itself.

Even the leading militaries of the world abandoned the machiene pistol (sub machiene gun) as an issued weapon in favor of a stronger rifle. It is still viewed as a specialized weapon for special circumstances.

I suppose that if you want to go up against bad guys at 50m instead of 300m that is your choice. I would rather fight my battles and pot my meals out in the next field rather than crawl up to 50m on my belly before I can snag supper.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have to agree, why would a want to carry a hand gun and a rifle with the same pistol cartridge?
    They both do basically the same thing.

When I carry a long gun, which I do most of the time....it's for shots "out there"....and if I carry pistol, it's for shots, "over here".

Lack of diversity out weighs convience of ammo, IMHO.

Ok, thanks for the answers, I was valuing convenience over anything else which probably wasn't thought through. This is why I asked you guys first.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

I tend to like guns that are capable of shooting different caliber rounds...... a .357 can shoot .38+, a 12 guage with 3 1/2 chamber can shoot 2 3/4, 3, or3 1/2... etc. Just my preference, but it makes the same gun more easily adaptible to different situations.... or just cheaper to target shoot.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Another thing to keep in mind, is cost. I like the .44 mag. combo, (revolver, lever action rifle.) but if you don't do your own re-loading, the cheapest deal I've run across for .44 mag ammo is $25.00+ per 50. Wal-mart price for "white box" .44 mag., is $35.00+, and the good stuff can really get expensive.

On the other hand, I can get 50 rounds of 9mm mak.(for a CZ-82) for $12 to $13, (Silver Bear) and then get surplus ammo for a Mosin-nagant 91/30 for around a hundred bucks per 440 round spam can. That's a lot of fire power, on a fairly little budget. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

IMO there is no better rifle/pistol combo to cover hunting medium game and defense than a .357 magnum S&W/Ruger 4" barrel revolver with a Marlin lever action in the same chamber. God never made a whitetail deer that can't be taken cleanly at or under 100 yards by a carbine loaded with a 180 gr soft point .357 mag. God never made a man that can take a whole cylinder full of 158 gr HP's from the revolver center mass and give many more problems. The end.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

I've thought that it might be nice / fun to have a BP pistol to go with a BP rifle. Such as, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=264861

My brush gun is a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with peep sight. This would be a "hand full" sidekick. http://gunwebsites.net/2010/04/28/m4...-70-derringer/.

For sure a hand full there.....45/70 derringer?....I thought the .410/.45 was a hand full.....LOL

What rifles use the 9x18 round? very interesting , I love my cz-82 ,so having a rifle to match would be great!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    What rifles use the 9x18 round? very interesting , I love my cz-82 ,so having a rifle to match would be great!
    I don't know of any. I was just using it to show that two different rounds could be cheaper than using just one.

Now, if you use a CZ-52 (7.62x25), you could get one of those....I think it's a PPSH-41. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I also favor a .357 combo. I have taken a few deer and 1 hog with my marlin .357 levergun but to me it's more of a knockaround pair. If i'm just going to be wondering around the woods. The rifle is also pretty compact so it makes a gun house gun also. If i'm actually hunting I grab a 30-30. I really don't shoot past 100 yards with anything.