Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

.22 mag in my Ruger Single six and if I need a smaller load rather then changing cylinders I use the .22WFR.(.22 Rem. Specia bullet).Very hard to find any .22 WFRs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    .22 mag in my Ruger Single six and if I need a smaller load rather then changing cylinders I use the .22WFR.(.22 Rem. Specia bullet).Very hard to find any .22 WFRs these days.
    It was just a while back when I even heard of these loads, and although a option, Kinda cool, would you seriously consider it?

My impression of this thread was to come up with ideas on which firearms that would cover the most any of your individual bases.
    Hunting small and large game.
    Self protection, for 4 and 2 legged threats...... and anything in between.

My goal would be to be able to procure ammo easily, easy to carry, and effective for it use.

Personally I would avoid odd, hard to get loads, as effective as that may be.

This thread was started before the "Big Dry Up" of 2013.....so I guess all bets are off...

12 and 20 ga shot shells seem to still be in good supply as well a many center fire rifle loads....which make me wonder if anyone would like to revise their posted choices?

I might just pick a flint lock .62 cal/20 ga. fusil......shot or round ball, flint from a creek bed, and home made powder.......still goes boom.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

1. Glock 22 .40cal
    2. Noveske Recon in .223/.556
    3. Remington 870 (this should be standard in any gun collection)
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

Ruger .22/45 Lite
    AR-15 or bolt .308 depending on the scenario
    Rem 870

However:

My current set up is a .22/45 and a Baikal IZH-94 in 12ga over .308. I have a 12 to 20, 20 to 410 and 410 to .22 adapter for the 12ga barrel, the three adapters nest together into the size of a heavy 12ga shell. I also have several adapters for the .308 so it can shoot the following rounds: .308, 327 Fed Mag, 32 H&R Mag, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32 Smith and Wesson Short, 30 Mauser, 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, 30 Carbine and .32 ACP.

I also have a Hammond game getter in .308 that uses a swaged buckshot and a .22 powder actuated squib load. Fires a 53 grain projectile about 900fps. Good for grouse, bun bun, and tree rats.

So I guess I have the equivalent of 14 calibers in two guns plus about 6oz worth of adapters. The pistol weighs 20oz, the rifle/shotgun combo, a little over 7.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

That's an interesting weapon. I had never heard of the Baikal before. Looks like it's imported by EEA.

http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/mp...-shotgunrifle/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a Baikal 20 ga O/U....yeah, another D.U. Dinner raffle gun....nice.

I have heard of the o/u rifle/shot gun combo....but as far as I knew they weren't being imported as of late.
    Remington did contract for some here a while back...or so I was told......

Sounds like a good selection of adaptors.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have a Baikal 20 ga O/U....yeah, another D.U. Dinner raffle gun....nice.

I have heard of the o/u rifle/shot gun combo....but as far as I knew they weren't being imported as of late.
    Remington did contract for some here a while back...or so I was told......

Sounds like a good selection of adaptors.

Budsgunshop has the EAA Baikal IZH-94's right now. I'm going to do a full workup vid of my set up soon. I even bought a vintage Redfield Widefield scope to put on it. I wanted the widest FOV I could buy, and the widefield was just the ticket for a 2-7 scope.

Believe it or not, minus the shot gun adapters and the Hammond Game getter, two adapters will get you all of the other .30 caliber bullets, if you are willing to modify the adapters just a bit. I'm not worried about pressures, the barrel of the .308 is rated for much higher pressure than even the .327 Fed Mag.

The .30 Mauser and the 7.62x25 shoot from the same adapter.

All the other .30 caliber rounds shoot from a .32HR mag adapter reamed to .30 Carbine. So from this adapter you get .32sw, .32smL, .32 HR, .327 Fed Mag, .32 ACP (because its semi rimmed), and .30 Carbine (because you either throated your adapter for it, or use "O" rings on the rim to keep it in the adapter.)

All that said, once you fire a round from the newly reamed adapter, I wouldn't be getting all upset when you find out they no longer fit the guns they were designed for. I honestly don't think there is any pressure concerns whatsoever...but the cases will stretch ever so slightly...enough to make chambering difficult in the original reaming. (we're talking .003 of a millimeter in most cases)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

I would say Saiga in .223 Mossberg 500A and Ruger blackhawk in 41 Mag.

Blog Entries

For me, my trusted DPMS AR15, my Mossberg 930spx, and my Taurus PT 24/7 9mm or S&W M&P .40
    and of course my knife.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    This is really hard for me , but I will go with the tried trusted Colt Govt model .45 ACP , in shotgun Remington 870 Express , now in a rifle I would hate to lose the tactical advantage of my AK , but as hunting rifle I'd say its worthless , I would try to go with a Mini-14 in 30-06 or 308
    The Ruger Mini-14 only comes in .223. I have a Mini-30 (7.62 x 39). I could take deer and hogs with a 7.62x39, 150 Grain Jacketed Soft Point but it doesn't have enough versatility to make my list. Actually out of all the guns I own I could narrow that list down a single rifle, my Winchester lever action .44 mag. I can take small game with my .44 mag shotshells and moose and bear with my 300 Grain JSP Bullets. The standard .44 mag round works well for everything in between.

Since your list does give me three choices, I would include my Springfield XD .45 acp pistol and my Remington 870 shotgun. I have the same variety of rounds for these two as I do for my Winchester.

I would also leave my Ruger 10/22 off this list because of it's lack of versatility. It may be great for squirrel and rabbits but it is useless against big game. My DPMS .308 has just the opposite problem, great for big game, useless for small game.
    Last edited by MaveRick; 07-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.

I got to thinking about this situation and if I were limited to one handgun, one rifle and one shotgun, it time to change the rules.

Now there's a glass half full kinda guy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Honestly, I'm more of a "the glass is half full and it's time for a beer run guy"

Lets add in....you have to carry your ammo...as well as your other gear.......more rounds, ...or more power?

Total Titanium Tracker in .357, Mossy 500 (cause it will reliably feed the 1.75 Aguilla rounds as well) and my AR in 6.5 Grendel (with a couple of spare uppers. .22lr, .300BLK)
    I know what hunts you.

CZ in 22mag rifle Moss 12ga shot gun and my newest toy springer XD 357sig

I have no need of a shotgun. I am quite good with pistol and rifle. Nobody needs to shoot birds out of the air. :-) They just want to do so, that's all. I'd rather have 1-2 more pistols, any day, than any shotgun. The rifle is a shorty AR, in 223, with a Ciener .22lr conversion. The pistol is a CM9 Kahr 9mm pocket gun. The other pistol I'd want, instead of the shotgun, is a ParaOrd .45, LDA variant, with officer's frame and Commander length slide/barrel. With a Ciener .22lr unit for it. I am at work trying to make the Twisted Industries .22 unit (for the Keltec PF9) work with the Kahr. If I am successful, I will sell the KT and buy another CM. I can do it all with the AR, the CM9 and the 1911 variant. Matches, hunting, plinking, shtf, defense, teaching novices.

Using Nosler Partition 60 gr sp's, I can take deer to 150 yds or so, with chest hits. That's every bit as "good" as the 30-30 ever did. If I need to take bigger critters, I will just stalk, or bait them into bowhunting distances and brain them. A 223 sp to the brain drops big critters like a rock. I'd prefer, however, to just use shortened .460 Rowland brass (and the fully supported barrel in the ParaOrd) to drive a solid copper 70 gr swc (2200 fps, quite safe pressures, actually) thru their lungs, from 30 yds and less. This load delivers the same 750 ft lbs of energy as a 4" barreled .44 mag, and with a solid copper swc, it's got at least as much penetration, too!

I want to see how guys shoot or intimidate anyone with a gun that they don't have with them? I also want to see how they carry both a rifle and a shotgun, and the backpack needed to last more than a day or 2, and enough ammo for each to make them worth being carried. :-) U gotta have a pocket gun, or there's plenty of times that you go unarmed. I, for one, am not going to settle for a .22 pocket gun. I might, if I had to do so, settle for a .22lr belt gun, something like the skinny 4" barreled variant of the Buckmark Browning.

I don't like settling for no more power than the 9mm pocket gun has, but at least, if you load it right (Corbon 100gr PowRballs, 1300+ fps, 400 ft lbs) it's got twice the stopping power of a .38 snub, 3x what a factory 380 has.

I know that I can take elk, moose and bear with brain hits from the the 223, it's not much of a challenge. Just get within 50 yds, take a braced firing position, and use ear protection. Doing so with chest hits from a ccw pistol, tho (instead of some monstrosity that you have to carry on a sling) that interests me! :-)
    Last edited by senna; 07-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Ya, it's all about shot placement.

well, it is if you know, and can deliver, brain hits. the heart is the same size as the brain,and the heart hit has no ability to incapacitate for at least 5 seconds. We know this, from beheadings, carotic chokes, etc. When you are ducking blows or bullets, placement is the bunk. all you can do is try your best to hit the chest, with as destructive and shocking a load as you can control at 5-6 hits per second, and hope that the pain and shock make him psychologically quit, because getting brain hits is out of the question while being shot at, and body hits, other than lucky fluke hits to the spine, can't physically incapacitate for 5 seconds or more. during which he can fire, stab, etc, 4x or more per second.

So....let me get this straight. It takes 5 seconds to incapacitate someone that has been beheaded? What's he gonna do blink you to death?