Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

Default If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

This is really hard for me , but I will go with the tried trusted Colt Govt model .45 ACP , in shotgun Remington 870 Express , now in a rifle I would hate to lose the tactical advantage of my AK , but as hunting rifle I'd say its worthless , I would try to go with a Mini-14 in 30-06 or 308
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I think my choices would be:
    Pistol= 1911,.45
    rifle= 10/22, .22
    shotgun="coach gun" 12guage (nothing wrong with an 870, I just like keeping things real simple)
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Ruger blackhawk 357,30/30,870

As this question comes up real regular, and generally turns into a "which gun is best" with lots different opinions....I will still offer my.

For starters, I would have to look at this question several ways.
    First,...... I have no firearms, want to start a home armory........where to start? "If I had only had.....one (.22/.22 mag revolver, 870 12 ga, long range cal bolt gun, pick your favorite cal.)
    Second..... I have/had/or if I had a home armory, and need to bug out, what would I grab......22/.22 mag, 870 12 ga., AR w/larger cal upper (AR late entry)

I would lean more toward hunting and foraging than tactical, I don't feel comfortable considering taking on a superior force alone....not good odds IMHP, unless it was absolutely necessary.

This decision has to do with money available, and personnel preference on possible uses.

PS. I was debating on .22 vs .357 revolver.......leaned toward the .22.....but #4 ( we always seem to have a limit?, or as DW says, how many do you need?) would be a .357 or some sort.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-14-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Browning A5 semiauto 12 gauge.
    It's all I would need.

It's a tough choice for sure. It's a toss up between my Ruger Single Six and my Ruger SP101 in .357. Both give the option of two calibers so whatever you can scavenge you could use. I guess I'd lean toward the Single Six. Better small game gathering and a .22 mag is a defensive caliber albeit small.

For the shotgun, hands down my Maverick 12 gauge Security 8. It can handle both 2 3/4 and 3 inch, which is better than me.

Long gun probably one of the Mosins. 7.62 x 54 is a pretty respectable caliber and the weapon is super simple to maintain.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well I dont want to get into the "my choice is better than yours" Everyone has a right to believe which suits them right! Like I said the .45ACP does it all for me and if I didnt have anything but the .45 I would be happy , the reason I chose the mini 14 is because not only is it a great hunter it is also a great tactical fighter! and the shotgun although I several others it is a trust factor that I have in it ,just like my 45! Now , whoever said 30-30 I agree , great choice I have a 45/70 Marlin lever and I love it and to be honest if I were in the back country I could live with it alone , it has everything I need from stopping bear attacks to hunting dear and elk to stopping the bad guy from raiding my campsight!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

You made some good choices (but mine are getter than yours). Hey, look, butterflies.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Told ya so....told ya so....nanananana boo boo.

We all seem to over think this......If a little does a little good, a lot will do a lot of good....I picking a .22 revolver, today....maybe the .357 tomorrow, but then again, maybe be bears....,so .44mag?... only six shots, so how about the .45 single stack?....No, maybe the 9mm is better... double stack, more shots....yeah... thats the ticket...maybe the AR pistol?
    http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=sh...hk=1&Itemid=37

....but AK is cheaper........

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Pistols.php

Yeah, tough choice.

All boils down to preferance, use and pocket book....DW has gotten past the 'do you need......?
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-14-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added stuff

S&W M&P 9MM, 870, Ruger 10/22.

It's what I own and what I'm proficient with.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    S&W M&P 9MM, 870, Ruger 10/22.

It's what I own and what I'm proficient with.
    Now that is a good answer.....Dance with who ya brung.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now that is a good answer.....Dance with who ya brung.......
    That is my thoughts exactly. If you don't have it or you can't use it, what's the point. With my selection, I can defend myself and gather food. Are there firearms that can do somethings better? Sure there is. But I can still accomplish everything with these three.

Out of all the guns I own, these are my choices.

Handgun- Rossi 357 this gun goes everwhere with me.
    Shotgun- Remington 870 12ga. 3-1/2"
    Rifle-Browning Bar 270
    Last edited by Willie; 10-16-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

My personal choice...
    Rifle = browning a bolt 30-06
    Pistol= .22 lr preferably semi-auto but settle for accurized revolver... I have Rugers...
    That is, if I had guns.
    Oh and for a shotgun.. I will go with the ole' remmy 870.. 3 1/2 chamber
    Last edited by NightShade; 10-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I know they are popular but I didn't realize how favored the 870 really was until now!

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

not only is it popular , its a very accurate shotgun in many ways , many law enforcement agencies carry the 870 for that reason alone! There are of course several variations of the 870 , now as a hunting shotgun Im sure there are much better , many Rossis and Brownings come to mind , but the 870 to me is strictly a defensive weapon!

I probably should have stated "guns you own " (for those that own guns) , but even guns you prefer is fine! Obviously I like the comment of "im accurate with these three" , doesnt do you much good picking a XD45 ,Mossberg pump and an FN FAL .308 if youve never shot them before! With that said (I would love to shoot the xd 45 and the FN)!!!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

rifle: GAU-8 Avenger.
    pistol, shotgun: doesn't even matter.

then i just need the treasury of a small nation to stock ammo.

you know; for those really big deer.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I know they are popular but I didn't realize how favored the 870 really was until now!

Willie
    The Remington 870 has been around in several versions for a long time, from fancy high grade Wingmasters to the low end Express.
    proven it's self in the field, no matter what you are doing.

Lends it self to extended mag (pass through mag tube), and a lot of other tactical "stuff".... easy to bolt on.

As far as "an accurate shotgun" goes, that's pretty wide open as the loads and uses range from noise making blanks/flares.... to rifled barrel sabot loads........with everything in between.
    Different barrels, screw-in choke systems on a pretty bullet proof platform, lends it self to versatility........all at a reasonable price.

The fact that it's still made pretty much the same way for years has made it a "standard".

I'm not real fussy. A quality 22 lr bolt action repeater, a quality 12 gauge pump and a quality 44 magnum handgun. I don't like the idea that I can't have a quality bolt action in 30-06 with good glass. I would rather ditch the shotgun in favour of the ought six.