Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

Well I going with my Ruger Blackhawk Hunter model .41 Mag. Why? because I can and have taken big game at reasonable ranges with it (up to 100 yards).
    Ruger 10-22, because most of my hunting will be small game and I can store lots of ammo in a small space, plus it is plenty accurate (I shoot competitively at the 100 yard range with other .22 fans)
    Last would be my Mossy 500, with multi chokes, I can do most any game and swapping out to a rifle slug barrel, I'm good out to 100/150 yards.
    I know what hunts you.

Well lets see this is what I carry for a shtf plan: Handgun is a Ruger p95 9mm I went with the 9mm because the ammo would be easy to find. It's one of the most popular caliber's in the world. Rifle would be my Marlin Model 60 .22 reason I can purchase and store a ton of ammo cheap and effective. Shotgun is my Mossberg 500 .12 ga with that I can hunt birds with bird shot, hunt deer with buck shot or a slug and defend the home with buckshot or a slug.

SAA. 357 with 4 3/4 inch barrel. Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle and my Rossi single shot brake down with 22 cal., 20 ga. barrels.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

There was no scenario given, just which 3 firearms would you take if you could only take 3. On any given event my choice would change.
    I know what hunts you.

The situation would dictate what three I would prefer, but as things stand right now, my three of choice are S&W mp45 for pistol, Remington 870 12ga for shotgun, and Marlin 1895 45-70 for rifle. My .45 is never far away, love that gun. I've shot more models of .45 than I can count, the MP feels the best in my hand. Grew up shooting an 870, used it for everything from squirrels to geese. Got two actually, one I've modified for home defense purposes, the other is what I've used for bird and small game hunting for over 10 years now. I just don't have a reason to change. As for rifle, I've hunted with lever action Marlins and Winchesters all my life. Usually 30-30, but have used 45-70 as well. I'm not a long distance marksman, rarely ever take a shot over 100 yards. I chose the 45-70 in this hypothetical due to it's versatility. It's a big heavy round, but isn't overkill for whitetail, and can also easily be used on larger game. Excellent brush gun in my opinion.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think i would reduce that to two weapons with four choices. i have always liked the .410 and 30/30. over and under. and the .22 and .38 single shot pistol. you make your own choice. for survival (not war) mine are a fair good choice.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

well thats the precise reason I stated three (and make them count) ,this is just that it can be survival (war) or (natural disaster) , or the CDC done ****ed up and we're screwed by a strain of virus, thats why I said three !
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Only three, huh? And it has to be one handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun? Hmm...

Now the OP didn't say anything about this being for a bug out scenario or anything so I'm assuming this is for general, all-around use...

Handgun: S&W 686+ Mtn Gun in .357 Mag

Shotgun: Benelli Nova 12 gauge

Rifle: Winchester M70 in .264 Win Mag

Hmm... that leaves me with no .22LR. I don't like that at all. I guess I would have to cheat and hide a 4th gun away where "big brother" wouldn't find it. Of course, if I'm going to hide a 4th, a 5th wouldn't take much more space and maybe a 6th too...

Any reasonable person would deploy their assets....If they are in different places nobody know how many you have...........
    (psssst...I won't tell)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just wish I had a firearm, Mine fell off the canoe. But I still have my glue gun if BATF&E are interested.

If it were a SHTF scenario, I would pick
    LMT AR-15 with spare barrels and bolts in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel. and a dedicated .22lr upper
    Para-Ord P-14 LDA in .45ACP or 10mm
    lastly my Mossy 500 with a spare rifled slug barrel
    I know what hunts you.

I picked the ones I did because that is what I have

4" .357 mag S&W or Ruger revolver, .22 LR Ruger 10/22, and a Rem 870 12 guage with a 26" barrel with choke system and a rifled slug barrel. Not much this old boy can't do with that set up.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

HK USP 40.
    M1A Standard
    870. 12 g.

Blog Entries

22 Revolver
    M1A chambered in 308
    12ga. Coach gun

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Did I not push the reply button?

Did someone erase my post?

Was I being argumenative and overly aggressive again?

Damn this oppositional defiant disorder!

I'll be good this time.

50 years ago 3 would have been enough in my area, with a good .22 being the preferred rifle. Now you really need 4 guns with one rifle for large game and one for small stuff.

If limited to only three I want;

my 30-30- I load cast bullet squibs for small game/factory equil for large game
    my Mossburg- multiple barrels and choke selections for mice to moose
    my 1911/45acp- just 'cause

or perhaps a ,22/20ga/.357 group.

or maybe a .375/16ga double/44mag if I am in Africa

or if it is a sentimental choice I want; grandad's 12ga/the .22 ss/the son's .38spl

Is there a wrong answer here?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-27-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If it were restricted to what i have on hand i would take...

Taurus tracker .357 4inch. (dearly love this gun)
    Rem 710 in 30-06
    Benelli Nova 12g

Hummm, I guess pistol ,S.W. Cheif Special .45, rifle, Ruger 10/22,Shotgun, Winchester 1300. Cause those are what I own!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Kyrat-

Probably
    No
    Always

Sometimes
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I need to change my Ruger 10-22 to a Remington 597. I just did a trade with a guy down the street!