Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

Sounds about right, cheap ammo, all I could get at Walmart,
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

XD 9
    DPMS AR15
    Mossberg 500

EB

Hmmmm easy one ... winchester 32 Special and my old Cooey 22 .. semi auto .. both function well .. and im usta them ...
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Well, well, another .32 Special....Model '94.......fine rifle....Congrats
    That two that I have seen or heard of.

Ruger Single Six and a Bolt action .22 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, well, another .32 Special....Model '94.......fine rifle....Congrats
    That two that I have seen or heard of.
    Then make that 3 Hunter; I have one also. Killed a nice fat antelope doe with it two seasons ago.

no 32 special here but a 94 winchester in 38-55 with a lyman tang peep sight.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    no 32 special here but a 94 winchester in 38-55 with a lyman tang peep sight.
    Cool.......just picked up the 38-55 Handi Rifle from DNE a while back......haven't tried it out.
    Picked up up brass, mold, and loading dies as well.
    New Caliber seems to be the Win .375

Still have some Win Silver tip ammo for the Win 32 special, saving it for werewolves.......

I probably have several molds in the archives if you're wanting something different let me know and I can send it to you to use for awhile.

I probably have several molds in the archives if you're wanting something different let me know and I can send it to you to use for awhile.
    Cool, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've heard differing perspectives on this, but what would be your preferences (and your reasoning) for either having a lever-gun in a dedicated rifle cartridge, or otherwise matching it with a handgun cartridge? My inclination would be to get a .357 mag Marlin with a Ruger Blackhawk or a Colt Python, but some people have said that the interchangeability is outweighed by how underpowered a lever-gun is when using pistol rounds. Thoughts?
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    I've heard differing perspectives on this, but what would be your preferences (and your reasoning) for either having a lever-gun in a dedicated rifle cartridge, or otherwise matching it with a handgun cartridge? My inclination would be to get a .357 mag Marlin with a Ruger Blackhawk or a Colt Python, but some people have said that the interchangeability is outweighed by how underpowered a lever-gun is when using pistol rounds. Thoughts?
    Well, cowboys often sure did like having both a revolver and a same-caliber carbine. Seems to me they might have known a thing or two about the logistics of trying to stay properly armed while still mobile.

I'll either carry a large bore rifle/small bore handgun or large bore handgun/small bore rifle. Chances are if I'm lugging a rifle around it will be in a rifle cartridge like a 30-06 or something similar. For me the interchangeability isn't that beneficial, I just don't see it.

Although that concept seems attractive it really doesn't make much sense, ...Lets do the same thing twice......and it isn't for me.

Kinda like having all straight tipped screw drivers in your tool box.

If I carried a lever gun it would be a minimum of 30/30, and a .357 or .44 for my pistol round. I would like to have a .357 lever gun just because I like the .357 round but if I was choosing only 3 guns to have, it would not be on my list.

If I could only have 3 guns, it would be a combo rifle .22 mag over 20 gauge, AR-15, and a .357 Mag revolver.

My dad claimed that a load for a rifle is loaded different than a load for a handgun and viceversa. Speaking same cartridge and caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    How do I argue for, or against a certain tool, without knowing what job you are trying to accomplish with said tool?

(But I will say, that I would think that there are plenty of jobs, that a .357 levergun would be an acceptable tool......and fun!)
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 02-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

My dad claimed that a load for a rifle is loaded different than a load for a handgun and viceversa. Speaking same cartridge and caliber.
    Different speed powders?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Different speed powders?
    I'm not the reloader my dad was but I believe it had to do with the powders and barrel length.

That could be, rilfe powders are generally slower burning that pistol/shotgun powders.
    Never saw a box labled one way or the other.......
    I'll have to check tha loading manual.