Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: If you were limited to one Pistol, 1 Rifle and 1 Shotgun what would they be?

Pistol: Glock 41
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Rifle: Volquartsen Custom 22LR

Shotgun: Benelli M4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hellraiser; 06-26-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Good question, H63! One gun I would be carrying would be my H&R single shot with multiple barrels; I currently have a .357 mag, a 44 mag and a 20 ga set of barrels. Probably acquire a .308 and or .223 barrel set as well. 38 Sp/.357 ammo and 44 Sp/44 mag ammo , ...................................
    What receiver do you have?......shotgun barrels, Muzzleloader, .44 mag, .357 normally are on an SB1....the 308 and .223 require the SB2.
    Just a heads up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have the SB1 receiver. I could also look for a chamber insert for the 20 ga bbl. In fact I believe I have one in 20ga to 357 maximum. Now I just need to find where I stashed it.

Gottacha........
    When dealing with Handi Rifles.....just be aware.

I have heard so many people interested in picking up extra barrels, only to come back from a show with an old $75 buck shotgun, only to find it won't work.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Assuming you are wanting weapons with proven reliability in long term useage. In that case I would get:

1903 Springfield and have it remade into a scout style rifle and chambered in 30.06.
    Remington 870 12 gage. Known to be good for in excess of 17,000 rounds.
    Ruger GP100 revolver 357 Known to be good for over 15,000 rounds.
    Ruger MKII 22 known to be good for over 100,000 rounds. I would get the long barrel version.
    NRA Life Member since 1972. Distinguished High Power Rifle, Distinguished Smallbore Prone US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams,(2) US Palma Trophy Individual Match wins, Centenary Trophy, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted testing for US Army Test and Evaluation Command, Army Material Systems Analysis Activity and US Marine Corps. Army Sniper Rifle consultant. Test& evaluation of Small Arms, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

Ruger GSR in .308
    Ruger GP100 in .357
    Remington 870 12 ga

Old thread; OTOH, an interesting question.

My first choice for a rifle would a FAL StG 58 with a DSA barrel. OTOH, I have more ammo for 5.56 or 7.62x39. Last, but last would be 5.45x39 as I have 2 1080 round spam cans.
    Shotgun would be an 870 or a early 1960s Rem 1100.
    Pistol would be a 9mm; simply because I have more ammo for 9mm than 45 ACP.

Basically, my plan isn't to one of anything because if I only have one what if it breaks?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post

Basically, my plan isn't to one of anything because if I only have one what if it breaks?

What you do there old friend is you buy stuff that ain't going to break! Things like 870s and Mossberg 500s, and S&W N and K frames and 1911s. And rifles that have been through 4 wars minimum!

And if all else fails you buy the 4th gun; an H&R topper with a .357 barrel, .223, .308 and a 30-30 barrels and a 12 gauge tube with interchangeable chokes so you can keep using the ammo!

One of my big regrets is that I did not get a Topper barrel in 7.62x39 before they quit making them.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What you do there old friend is you buy stuff that ain't going to break! Things like 870s and Mossberg 500s, and S&W N and K frames and 1911s. And rifles that have been through 4 wars minimum!

And if all else fails you buy the 4th gun; an H&R topper with a .357 barrel, .223, .308 and a 30-30 barrels and a 12 gauge tube with interchangeable chokes so you can keep using the ammo!

One of my big regrets is that I did not get a Topper barrel in 7.62x39 before they quit making them.
    Sooner or later everything breaks or one runs out of ammunition for it.

I "love" 1911-A1s both real and clones, also Browning Hi or High Powers and CZs.
    A High Power was made by FN and a Hi Power was built by FN and sold by Browning.

I have fun firearms, hunting firearms, target firearms and force equalizer firearms. The most precious to me are family firearms.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Some things break during this lifetime. Some things break in the hands of your third great grandchild.

And if you don't have enough ammo to last until he needs it you don't have a big enough pile.

There is a difference between how much ammo it takes to win a war and how much it takes to keep you alive at the homestead, and how you source it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids break everything they'll have coming and shoot up all the ammo before that time, I will be very, very impressed....

Alan

Firearms last a very long time with doing nothing more than keeping them clean. About all I do extra is after the bore is clean; I use Radcolube. It does the same as CLP, it is US Military and NATO accepted. Before I shoot, I run a patch through it.

I'm well stocked with ammo. When ammo was easy to find and inexpensive; I bought a lot. The why did I buy a lot? I'm old enough to remember what NRA/DCM sold 1903-A3s and 1911-A1s for and know what they cost today.

I have no plans or interest on fighting a war.

There is no need of a shotgun. It's far more efficient to trap and snare animals, use lime on bird roosts, use nets, trotlines and Rotenone fish poison to forage for flesh food, especially when small game is all you're hunting. I'd much rather have another pistol than the shotgun, and I'd want it to be a suppressed, small .22lr auto, ideally with the front sight out on the end of the "can", so the gun can have some real precison accuracy.