Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Tsunami hit the East Coast.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default What if Tsunami hit the East Coast.

Some would be S.O.L. others would struggle for survival.

Some live in a area so low that there would be no high ground to run too.

What if the quake was at 12:midnight (Well, you might have a wet dream, Hehehehehehe).

Just might happen: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...coast_10132011

I watched that History Channel preso on Le Palma a few months back. That's a hunk of rock waiting to drop. It looked like another one that was when, not if. That's the kind of stuff that bothers me. You can't control or even seriously plan for stuff in that realm. How can you plan for a 50 foot wall of water or 75 feet? The economic crap is just an inconvenience. A world covered with volcanic ash that drops the temp 3 degrees or a supersonic mountain of water is sort of a permanent one way ticket.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We are in NJ (east coast USA)
    Elevation: 103 ft
    approximately 31 miles from the Atlantic Coast
    Approximately equidistance from two major population centers NYC/North New Jersey and Philadelphia.
    Limited access via bridges to the west , away from the coast,(I did a post some time ago about the bridges, I will try to find it).
    I am cultivating a contact at the Joint Base Command Center, hopefully will be able to get 24 / 7 advance (or as advance as possible) notice of any large events.

Keep "table topping " the PLAN.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=Table+topping

Emergency Action Plan
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=bridges
    Last edited by Pal334; 10-13-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add two links
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't have a TV. How far inland could the water go......? The footage I saw on the computer of the recent Japan event was truly not-graspable if not seen.

The Tsunami Society says it won't happen...

"Here are a set of facts, agreed on by committee members, about the claims in these reports:

- While the active volcano of Cumbre Vieja on Las Palma is expected to erupt again, it will not send a large part of the island into the ocean, though small landslides may occur. The Discovery program does not bring out in the interviews that such volcanic collapses are extremely rare events, separated in geologic time by thousands or even millions of years.

- No such event - a mega tsunami - has occurred in either the Atlantic or Pacific oceans in recorded history. NONE."

http://www.tsunamisociety.org/PressReleases.html

I can go back to sleep now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Where I grew up in NJ (North Bergen) , we were sitting on top of the palisades over looking NYC. 50 or 75 foot tsunami..... no problem! Coming in from the coast, NYC would be toast as would the Hackensack river valley (behind the palisades).
    I know what hunts you.

The BIG dig might get water in it.

Be that as it may, I'd rather be toast in NYC, than a fat loaf in a bunker in some god forsaken place.
    There comes a point when you have to LIVE life instead of just preparing to survive.

I can't see it being a problem..I am already in the swamp!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I've wondered that too. I live at least 75 feet above sea level, so the water would have to force it's way up some serious hills, but there is nowhere else for it to go in my town, so a 50 foot wave coming into port might force it's way up well above that height.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT
    The BIG dig might get water in it.
    Probably not. I read on the internet that they removed so much dirt that the west coast sank a few feet raising Boston. They're probably safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Probably not. I read on the internet that they removed so much dirt that the west coast sank a few feet raising Boston. They're probably safe.
    I don't know Rick.
    I can imagine lots of water in the BIG dig,tiles and lights falling.Lots of North shore homes under water..........wait,that happens now,nevermind.
    Last edited by letslearntogether47; 10-14-2011 at 07:49 AM.

That's pretty funny. I did read a section of tunnel roof fell out the day of the ribbon cutting ceremony. But for Boston folks that would be just one more challenge to navigation. The scariest place I've ever been in my life was in the back seat of a cab in Boston during the dig. The taxi driver challenged a bus ..... and won.

I live on the Delmarva peninsula which is basically a big sandbar between the Atlantic and the Piedmont region farther west of the Chesapeake bay.There is no practical prep for a megatsunami here. There are only 4 ways off this pile and two are bay bridges, one is an auto-ferry and the fourth option is drive north. Drive like hell north.

My snide comment about DC is better going unsaid.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I live in Florida. My submarine training may come in handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by sjj; 12-15-2017 at 10:39 AM.

I've heard of guys being up chit creek but never creating one. You reckon there was a whirlpool at the doorless outhouse?

It's great to live in AZ., sorry guys.

Arizona, Arizona. Oh, yeah. That's the place where the giant flood waters created that great big ditch.

Most folks are fearful of a tsunami but they completely forget about the fromnami. That one will sneak up on you.