Thread: Beechnuts

Default Beechnuts

So, I was out the other day and all these blackbirds came swooping in on me and slowly began to fill the trees above me. Then, they began grabbing hold of the branches with Beechnuts and flapping their wings to shake the nuts loose. Once they had shaken down a few trees worth of nuts about a hundred or more would come down at a time and immediately begin to clean up the nuts leaving the small three-sided empty shells and prickly husks behind.

Once I realized what they were doing I went over and gathered up about 50 or so in 5 minutes. If I hadn't waited 10 or 15 minutes prior to grabbing them I could have gathered probably 10 times as many in the same amount of time, but, a hundred birds eating one nut every couple seconds clears them out pretty fast.

I think it was only a few years ago that I found out beechnuts were edible. My uncle says they used to eat them a lot in Kentucky, but he said the nuts down there were much bigger than the ones here. they would roast them up down home from what I understand. I tried to roast a few according to vague directions but they got too done. the raw nuts are excellent, and remind me of something between a hazelnut, pecan, walnut, and perhaps even a hint of coconut. LOL! It's hard to decide on the flavor, but they are real tasty that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0gB...9DFB2A4ED09C68

Many late mornings I have watched the migrating birds fill the trees this time of year. that's wat ya got there only during their lunch break. Like geese on corn. Nice video on the beechnut RWC

Neat video! I seldom get to see what goes in a healthy forest of beech trees. Most all here is very stunted from beech bark fungus. Scale is the vector and it is slowly spreading eastward. I’d really like to see a die off of the little buggers but it isn’t going to happen.

We have what looks like tiny white aphids or something growing on our Beech trees, they leave a grey mess under the branches they're on. There are only 3 Beech woods I know of off hand around here and was told the reason is they were all logged off with all other hardwoods and these were left because the access was not very good, real swampy I guess or there just weren't enough trees to bother with going back in.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    So, I was out the other day and all these blackbirds came swooping in on me and slowly began to fill the trees above me. Then, they began grabbing hold of the branches with Beechnuts and flapping their wings to shake the nuts loose. Once they had shaken down a few trees worth of nuts about a hundred or more would come down at a time and immediately begin to clean up the nuts leaving the small three-sided empty shells and prickly husks behind.

Once I realized what they were doing I went over and gathered up about 50 or so in 5 minutes. If I hadn't waited 10 or 15 minutes prior to grabbing them I could have gathered probably 10 times as many in the same amount of time, but, a hundred birds eating one nut every couple seconds clears them out pretty fast.

I think it was only a few years ago that I found out beechnuts were edible. My uncle says they used to eat them a lot in Kentucky, but he said the nuts down there were much bigger than the ones here. they would roast them up down home from what I understand. I tried to roast a few according to vague directions but they got too done. the raw nuts are excellent, and remind me of something between a hazelnut, pecan, walnut, and perhaps even a hint of coconut. LOL! It's hard to decide on the flavor, but they are real tasty that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0gB...9DFB2A4ED09C68

Beech nuts are very good i enjoyed gathering them in Massacheucetts, small but tasty .
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis