Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercury Thermometer

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You sort of stretched your argument there natertot. I did get a chuckle though. Here's how it goes with those blasted mercury thermometers. You have to find it then is it upside down or right side up. You have to shake it to get the mercury back down and when you do it goes sliding across the floor and probably breaking. And so forth. I just want an item that is quick, reliable and accurate. You stick the digital in, it beeps and I read the temp. Easy. (snort, chuckle)
    I wish I had you digital thermometer capabilities! If a person decides they like digital, that is fine. I just really hate when I prefer a method, and the government says "too bad, we don't think you should do it that way". That is the part that bugs me more than anything.

Well, all I can tell you is too bad. I think you should do it the digital way. I'm here to help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, all I can tell you is too bad. I think you should do it the digital way. I'm here to help.
    Ah Ha! Rick is part of the evil control scheme! I give up!

Actually, the last digital I got, I took back. The guy at the pharmacy was nice enough to let me open up a few different ones and play with them. I bought three that I liked with a package of six extra batteries. When I got home, I played with them for a while and made sure they all worked.

Putting odds in my favor, three thermometers and nine batteries, I should be able to get a temp!

That, sir, is a true survivalist at work. If one is good more is gooder. Oh, and that evil control thing. Sorta keep that to yourself okay? I'm tryin' hard to be incognito and I'm trying to keep my identity concealed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you can't trust Big Brother and Big Nanny to protect you, who can you trust??

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Why, me of course. Golly, I thought everyone knew that.

cfl bulbs aren't intended for internal use. thermometers are.

digital thermometers are great when you have batteries, but what is the problem with spirit thermometers?

don't even get me started about incandescent bulbs.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

So....what about incandescent bulbs?

Rick, You looking for a start button??
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I carry spares, Karl. I usually don't have to look very far. Stirring chit is sort of a specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    cfl bulbs aren't intended for internal use.
    True, but when one breaks, it releases mercury gas. How do you control a vapor? You can't and you breathe it into your lungs. Just what I want with my infant son who has respiratory issues already, NOT!

I carry spares, Karl. I usually don't have to look very far. Stirring chit is sort of a specialty.
    I think he uses a shovel as a spoon!

Yeah, you have to watch that Karl. He probably has a BIG shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    True, but when one breaks, it releases mercury gas. How do you control a vapor? You can't and you breathe it into your lungs. Just what I want with my infant son who has respiratory issues already, NOT!
    Man has been trying to control released gas ever since beans were invented.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Man has been trying to control released gas ever since beans were invented.
    Especially when Rick eats 'em. I'm more worried about being downwind from him than I am being downwind from a nuclear plant!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I must disagree. Growing up, my family had two mercury thermometers. In fact, my mom I know still has one of them. I am on number four digital in six years. They are crap. When you need it, the battery is dead, or part of the screen doesn't work, or it beeps and reads "63.8F". If my daughters temp was "63.8F", she wouldn't be feverish, she'd be dead! I don't remember having any of these issues with the mercury style growing up. We don't get sick too often either. Most of the thermometers were used once or twice and then quit. That is not my definition of "work just fine".
    OK I give up - you are clearly smart enough to change the battery when they fail - and before you answer- understand the battery lasts almost two years.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    cfl bulbs aren't intended for internal use. thermometers are.

digital thermometers are great when you have batteries, but what is the problem with spirit thermometers?

don't even get me started about incandescent bulbs.
    I am still waiting for the Survival Easy Bake CFL Oven.........

Don't misunderstand - there isn't a cynical bone here to throw across the yard.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thankfully I still have one filled with Mercury. I think an alcohol filled one too. Can't find the mercury ones anymore. The Rite Aids here are carrying ones with some type of chemical in them that are safe. I can't remember the name of the stuff.. Problem is per the instructions you have to leave it in place for 3 mins. or so. Mercury was so much quicker!!!