Thread: 12 pound Arctic Hares

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default 12 pound Arctic Hares

I am wondering who has wabbits (Cottontails) and how far into Canada do Hares habitat.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...mehunting.hare

I don't know how far north rabbits inhabit but hares are found above the arctic circle. Rabbits and hares are different. Hares change color in the winter and are not prone to tularemia.
    I know what hunts you.

My college campus is covered in rabbits and squirrels, you can literally walk right up to them. You could hunt these things with a sock full of quarters. The funny thing is to watch the foreign kids that have never seen a squirrel freak out when this fuzzy little creature goes running by them.

Here is the range of the eastern cottontail

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is the range of Black-tailed hare

White-tailed hare

Arctic Hare

Snowshoe Hare

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

We do have the cottontails in Maine at least up to the Mount Katadhin area. They are in trouble population wise, and a effort is underway to help them with habitat. The snowshoe hare is all over the state, and the population for them depends on the coyotes for the most part. I know I'm tired of them jumping me when I'm hunting deer.

Okay, I didn't notice your link the first time. From what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) arctic hares don't live in Alaska. The scientific name for arctic hares is lepus arcticus and the closely related species that lives in Alaska is lepus othus or the alaska hare and also lepus timidus or the mountain hare.

Here is a link to a website that has some info on hares.
    http://www.alexandgregory.com/hares.html
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Here in the swamp we have an abundance of cottontails. We also have what we call "cane cutters". Then there was this one year I camped deep in the swamp (14 miles by boat from anything) it snowed, sleet, and rained. We were Hawg hunting, Well, it was then I saw the biggest rabbit I ever saw "Buck Rabbit" I called him. I have hunted Jack Rabbits quite alot in NM, so I am familiar with larger breeds. I tried desperately to find his white self in the scope with the snow back drop and couldn't (5 X 9) on a 12ga. rifled slug gun. Everytime I looked away from the scope he was there, in the scope he vanished. Back to the OP I think, range is subjective. I have seen a mountain Lion, an Alligator Gar, I know of a black bear killed in the same swamps. But nope they don't live here, it is not on the range map.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Here in the swamp we have an abundance of cottontails. We also have what we call "cane cutters". Then there was this one year I camped deep in the swamp (14 miles by boat from anything) it snowed, sleet, and rained. We were Hawg hunting, Well, it was then I saw the biggest rabbit I ever saw "Buck Rabbit" I called him. I have hunted Jack Rabbits quite alot in NM, so I am familiar with larger breeds. I tried desperately to find his white self in the scope with the snow back drop and couldn't (5 X 9) on a 12ga. rifled slug gun. Everytime I looked away from the scope he was there, in the scope he vanished. Back to the OP I think, range is subjective. I have seen a mountain Lion, an Alligator Gar, I know of a black bear killed in the same swamps. But nope they don't live here, it is not on the range map.
    I agree, animals don't really care that the range map says they are not supposed to be there. There have been many mountain lion sightings in the midwest states, it is just the scientific community doesn't recongnize them in that state.
    Thomas Paine

I saw a rabbit on our property in southern Indiana a while back. This sucker was bigger than any other rabbit I had ever seen. For quite a while he would come out every night right about sunset and get a drink from the lake.
    Thomas Paine

Have hunted cottontails all over the country. Hunted jacks in Iowa and down here in Texas.( the ones we hunted in Iowa turned white in the winter so guess they were some type of hare) Snowshoes in northern Minn. Always got me when different guys talked about the jacks being so big. Seldom shot one over 7 lbs. Alot bigger then the cottontails though.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

We have hares here in interior Alaska. We fed one over the winter, food scraps, bread heals ect. He got et by an owl this spring.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Here's the range for the Alaskan Hare.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's the range for the Alaskan Hare.

http://nature.ca/ukaliq/021des/030_rng_e.cfm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

edited..........
    Last edited by sjj; 10-30-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I'm fascinated by the Alaska "Rock Rabbits" called Pika weighing in at about 5 oz. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed.../wns/pikas.pdf
    Those are pretty cool little critters, I saw some one time when I was in Colorado.
    Thomas Paine

Yeah, I have a mountain lion living in the woods behind my house (but according to the conservation department there are none in MO).

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't hares eat meat while rabbits eat strictly vegetation.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

Cottontails are not native to Maine. They were introduced to the environment by people letting them loose or escaping from feeder breeders.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    Yeah, I have a mountain lion living in the woods behind my house (but according to the conservation department there are none in MO).

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't hares eat meat while rabbits eat strictly vegetation.
    I think they are both vegetarians, but I can't say I know for sure. We don't got hares around here.
    Thomas Paine

My question with that 12 pound hare would be, would you still have to worry about "rabbit starvation" from eating one of those buggers over time if you had nothing else ??

No. But you might have to worry about it kickin' the slats out of you if you tried to catch it.

Catching would probably be the hard part especially in winter...lol Just would hope that they aren't too tough...lol