Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going fireless

as i was sitting out last night i was reminded of how i came into this-
    many moons ago back in 93 when i was in college in nelsonville ohio, small school set in the bush, well my car broke down and i had to walk the few miles to school, down the rr tracks across the tressle that crossed the river thru the bush. well all i remember from it was how peacefull it was, no distractions of even the car radio, it struck me then and even more now with all the gadgets we have that we are never alone with our own thoughts, some folks i have learned are not able to do this, or should say unwilling to do this.
    i have found that even a fire can be a disttraction, looking at the dancing flames hearing the crackle and smell of fire, which is why i enjoy going fireless
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

This has me wondering... What would I do with all the hours I usually would spend staring at a fire. Fire is like TV but for the woods.

Listen to the sounds of nature which is like your stereo for the woods.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh how I yearn for the days of mono. This new stereo thingie is just a passing fad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You guys have never seen sexy until you have seen a well made woman in a long fringed buckskin dress walk past the fire. It will put a twinkle in even an old man's eye.
    Along with a twinkle it would also maybe cure a man of Alzheimer's, His first reaction would be "Ah Yes I do remember.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

It's hard to beat a good fire on a cold night, or the satisfaction felt of creating one without modern means (hand drill, for example). Even on a warm summer night fire can add a sense of security, fend off mosquitoes, dry you out, and heating up a drink or food can really boost camp moral, especially after a fruitless day of hunting. Fires are work, though. Gathering an ample supply of wood, cutting it if needed, ect. That being said, I love having a small fire in my camp, but there have been just as many times I've camped without one as with. Even in cold weather during hunting season or running a trapline I've elected to not use one due to time and energy (with a good bedroll I stay warm). In the summer I spend huge amounts of time camping on the river banks and sandbars fishing for flathead catfish. Rarely do I build a fire in those instances, as flatheads are pretty light sensitive. The crackle and glow can be comforting, but as others have said, it's a whole different world without it. You hear things you might not hear otherwise, whether or not you can see what is making the noise. I like a fire, but also like the contrast of not having one. Each has it's place.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

so i was sitting out back last night, wind blowing everything all around, tv said weather warning for wind, and the rain was driving hard, i was sitting out by the creek that the beavers have been working on for a couple of years now, getiing deep and wide. for the past few nights i have been hearing the bever but haven't seen him, now apparently he was already on land when i chose my spot to sit, just off of his slide, he slips by me in the dark, launches into the water and large splash right behind me, it was so windy i did not hear him coming till the little rascal splapped his tail in front of me, caught me off guard. but brought a smile to my face
    Last edited by Rick; 10-16-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Dropped it back to PG-13.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there are some instances that i may want a fire, but i normally burn my oil lamps. no wood to gather or cut there. and animal fat is easy to get if you hunt the right animals, like ducks,pigs, some species of fish, ect. wood fires are chokey with the smoke and consume a lot of poundage in fuel, where the oil is compact and a small amount goes a long way.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I do both, but must admit there is something very therapeutic about a fire. After a long cold day of hiking, hunting or whatever, the fire can really revive ones spirits.