Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a well bucket?

Default Need a well bucket?

I think that everyone who owns a well should, at least, have a well bucket that can be used to draw water from their own well during an emergency.

You can buy or build your own.

Long term use:

Short term use: http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water__...___550202?Args

Make your own:

Build a Well Bucket

Live the Motto - Be Prepared: Home made Well Bucket

SurvivalBlog.com

Homestead water procurement by Robert Sulek from the July/August, 2006 issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal

These buckets are an inexpensive and sure way to get water out of a drilled well without electricity.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-09-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: remove URL from Long Term Use:

Have seen them, great idea, but...
    Looks like you would have to pull the pump to use one, unless you make it a tad smaller.

My well is 185 ft, lots of rope......
    I think the gen set to make some power is a better option for me....or the river....or the rain water collection system...or the hand pump in the lower field
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Why do you consider the Lemans bucket a "short term" item?

I used one daily for 5 years and it was still good when I left it hanging in the well house the last bucket I drew. We averaged 6-10 draws a day and on washdays up to 30.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I find it interesting that you are from Missouri and so is the company that makes the one you considered long term use. And that's your very first post. I've removed the URL from that one. It smells a lot like spam from where I'm standing. If I'm wrong, just PM me and let me know and we'll go from there.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ya, rick +1 on that
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Rick, you're my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Why do you consider the Lemans bucket a "short term" item?

I used one daily for 5 years and it was still good when I left it hanging in the well house the last bucket I drew. We averaged 6-10 draws a day and on washdays up to 30.
    This this from the Lemans site.

■Use for emergencies or temporary installations
    ■Not intended for everyday use

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I find it interesting that you are from Missouri and so is the company that makes the one you considered long term use. And that's your very first post. I've removed the URL from that one. It smells a lot like spam from where I'm standing. If I'm wrong, just PM me and let me know and we'll go from there.
    I am just sharing useful information.

While that may be true, you've made the same post on 2012predictions.org, homesteadingtoday, homestead, survivalpodcast, survivaltopics, and probably a few I missed all touting the waterkiddy. There's a fine line between sharing info and spamming.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Spammm !!!!!!

Stone him!!!!!!

Sorry, I may have gotten carried away.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Spammm !!!!!!

Stone him!!!!!!

Sorry, I may have gotten carried away.
    I agree. I like those who contribute, not try to sell me something. I can go to the store for the later.

Awwww, Maaaan...I was just getting around to finding out how I get that bucket down the 4" pipe with out pulling my submersible pump?
    Inquiring minds wanna know

The sad part is you can put your web site in your signature and be legal. You just can't post in the body of a post. That keeps spammers down. We'd like for you to spend some time with us. I think you have some ideas that folks would enjoy hearing and you might pick up an idea or two. But just hitting the boards to promote your product isn't kosher.

.....????........ legitamate question.... how and where would you dig a well, and i'm talking by hand
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by solarman View Post
    This this from the Lemans site.

■Use for emergencies or temporary installations
    ■Not intended for everyday use
    What is an emergency, and what is temporary.

Good Lord, if I had known that I would not have used it for those five years and left it for someone else. I would have smashed it after two or three days and been done with it.

If you have a pump that goes out or is otherwise unusable is any use of a well bucket not temporary?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin-IT View Post
    .....????........ legitamate question.... how and where would you dig a well, and i'm talking by hand
    You know, there was a guy came on here a little while back, (gotta do a search I guess) that was proposing the most important piece of gear was a shovel....for digging a well...by hand.

I would suppose it would work in some locations....but you are talking a LOT of work, for you don't know if there is even water, close enough to actually dig by hand.
    When the possibility that this really wasn't possible in ALL locations, actually got kinda upset, especially when I asked him how many well he has dug, and if there were pic's.

My 'legal" well is 185 ft' drilled well....I have a "stock" well, down in the lower field about 100 ft from the river, drove a well point to about 27 ft.
    Did hit water at about 12 ft, seems to be a seep from the river, (field on a curve).

In this case I do believe you could dig a well by hand, but cave-in's may be a problem, kinda like digging a hole in the sand at the beach, and having water and sand flow back in to the hole as you are digging.

I agree that a shovel is a handy tool, it is possible to dig a well by hand, my only point is that you have to know , like you asked, where, and how.

The "bucket" proposed is really just a piece of PVC with a flapper value at the bottom, so the info on building one is valuable....I'm still pondering how to get it down my well with out pulling the pump (at the bottom of the well, with 1-1/4" plastic line and wiring???)

Perhaps we could link up the temporary well guy with the guy that could build a rock cabin in a few hours. That's like a homestead in a day. Good stuff.

Yeah, well there is that.....LOL.

Need to shut off the computer and actually get out there and start digging....or picking up rocks....and pic's or it didn't happen.

i know you use a shovel..... that's a given. i'm talking it's over 6ft deep. how do you swing a shovel down there and get it up AND not have cave-ins?
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

I don't necessarily support this method without shoring the sides but the rest is pretty straight forward.