Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going fireless

Default going fireless

so i have found some new fun in the bush, since i am off the next few months rehabbing my arm and leg i am not venturing to far into the bush but also am not spending time finding fuel for a fire. I go out every night at dusk and just sit up against a tree and sit there for hours, watching and listening, amazing how the dark and quiet w/o the noise and light of a fire intensifies the sounds of nature, even a small animal sounds bigger, but i find i am intensly enjoying the dark, and have noticed that wildlide act more natural w/o the fire,it is quite addicting going fireless.
    Last edited by wareagle69; 09-29-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I admit that I get a little freaked out being in the woods without fire. It's all psychological but that's most of my problems anyway. Well, that and the witness protection program. I really like a fire at night especially if I'm alone out there. I get your point and I'm glad you enjoy it but I need the comfort of the light flickering.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A fire is my favorite part of being out overnight! But I'll have to try going fireless just to see how it goes.

I rarely build a fire while camping- even in the winter. I normally only build them for my clients, or to teach someone the bow drill or to use the ultra nice antler handled fire steel that Crashdive gave me...thanks Crash!

I do love a fire, but it does sort of take you away from the woods and turns your attention towards the flickering light....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I know exactly what your talking about Wareagle, I have spent a lot of time in the woods with no fire and it is amazing how much more can be picked up by your senses when not distracted by a fire. Now don't get me wrong I love a good campfire big or small specially a big roaring fire when you've got friends joining you, there is nothing more enjoyable. But to be in the woods on a deer stand or in the swamp on a duck hunt a couple hours before light and to watch the sky begin to glow purple and listen to all the sounds made by the wildlife some going to bed, some just beginning to stir for the day is truly a blessing.
    The same can be said for an afternoon hunt with the same dance being played in reverse. For this reason alone will have me sit on my stand from way before daylight until much later than shooting hours have passed a long time ago. I just seem to feel like for that little bit of time I may not be a participant but I have a front row seat! And yes you are right each and every footstep IS monster big!!!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

That reminded me of sitting in a fox hole on an overcast night. Straining to hear and see.

I can also relate, I like to walk out of the deer stand after dark with no flashlight. My eyes have had time to adjust to night vision and I can see amazingly well.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have spent a lot of time in the predawn and after dark hunting as well as letting the fire burn down for sleeping....You are correct... a lot of stuff going on as the woods is going about it business.

I don't burn a fire all night whan camping.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can relate. A fire is nice at dusk but at night I actually feel better and safer without it. I am more in touch with my surrounding, I see and hear better and all my senses are hyper alert but not alarmed. I feel more at one with nature and all the critters and because of that, less afraid.

A fire takes a lot of work. Sometimes, I don't want to do the work. I get to camp, throw up my hammock, and see you in the morning.

When I am with the scouts, I make them do everything. Well, I tell them if they want a fire, then they do all the work. If they don't want to do the work, then no fire.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I believe in enjoying the time before sunrise and as the sunsets. I really like just sitting there and looking at the stars and listening to what is going on around us.

But, I like having a fire to gather around and recount the days adventures. I get that it is not needed, I live in S. Florida where it is 90 at night during archery season. But, it is tradition for us.

Now, if your alone and just sitting and listening awhile and then walking back out to go home. Making a fire doesn't really make any sense at all to me.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    That reminded me of sitting in a fox hole on an overcast night. Straining to hear and see.
    I often revel in the fact that I can build a fire and enjoy the flames and light dancing against the background. There was a time when my outtings did not allow light of any kind and after one has lain in the dark wondering if they would live to see another sunrise I do not feel having a fire detracts from my life experience.

Fire was the first "social networking technology" allowing old men and women to teach the legends and stories of the tribe, family groups to bond and humans to sleep on the ground rather then in nests in the trees.

You guys have never seen sexy until you have seen a well made woman in a long fringed buckskin dress walk past the fire. It will put a twinkle in even an old man's eye.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

a well made women in a long fringed buckskin dress can put a twinkle in a young mans eye too. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I often revel in the fact that I can build a fire and enjoy the flames and light dancing against the background. There was a time when my outtings did not allow light of any kind and after one has lain in the dark wondering if they would live to see another sunrise I do not feel having a fire detracts from my life experience.

Fire was the first "social networking technology" allowing old men and women to teach the legends and stories of the tribe, family groups to bond and humans to sleep on the ground rather then in nests in the trees.

You guys have never seen sexy until you have seen a well made woman in a long fringed buckskin dress walk past the fire. It will put a twinkle in even an old man's eye.
    Yeah...there is that....and as far as networks goes, I think congress should sit around a fire with some 'lubrication" and get down to business and solve all the problems...
    Lot of the fires I attended, this actually has happened....or seemed so at the time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Man, you guys are a tough bunch. Try doing it at night without hearing. When the light goes so goes your sight. So you wind up being blind and deaf in the woods. And while you're at it, drag some more fire wood over here. We're getting a bit low.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And the cricketts, always the cricketts, even in the snow! Zicadas 24/7!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

When I go camping, we have a fire. When I go backpacking, normally no fire as there aren't that many trees where I normally go. But I often just go out into my woods where I live and sit and commune with nature, no fire.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Camping without a fire? I never thought of that.
    I love the feel of a fire and start one first thing in the morning to take the chill off and wake up.
    Then the fire gets put out for the rest of the day, and a new one started mid to late afternoon for dinner.
    Then after dinner sitting around watching the fire is the greatest thing in the world for me.
    When I'm back in civilization and smell wood smoke, I'm transported!
    That said, I might try going fireless just once to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Besides the campfire keeps the boogey man away!

I enjoy a fire. Sometimes I think it is instinctive to stare into a fire like we stare into a television. Our eyes are attracted to movement. There are practical reasons for fire, like warming up, drying off or cooking. But, a fire takes time and sometimes those things aren't necessary and it's just easier or wiser to eat something from your pack and go to sleep because you have things to do in the morning. But, you aren't always left with just the darkness and the small noises. If it's clear, you can lay on your back and watch the meteorites, the constellations or the northern lights. If the night looks like you may need cover, you can quickly throw a tarp over you with some bushes along your side to peak the tarp and keep off the condensation. There were many times that my biggest concern was people not animals. It's a great sense of security to be comfortable and well hidden.

Unfortunately ,camping in this area, without a fire at this time of the year would be quite dangerous without mosquito netting.
    And even with a fire in some places.
    EEE and West Nile virus have been found in the area and the mosquitoes numbers have exploded from standing water.
    Both the tropical storm and the very wet Aug/Sept has contributed to this.I'm hoping for a couple of frost to clear them out so we can
    do a little camping.As it stands now,even working outside requires a generous coating of deet on all exposed skin.