Thread: Poop tomatoes?

Default Poop tomatoes?

OK, it's a term I give to veggies that grow out of the manure/dirt that you know you didn't plant.

I get tons of plants out of the manure. Tomatoes and such that have most likely gone through the cow as well as plants that sprout up out of the pile because we throw the veggie scraps back on the pile of manure.

I got around 15 tomato plants this spring that sprouted and produced all season. I have about 20 more that are a foot or less tall right now that are sprouting (I'm assuming from the tomato seeds I threw in there after canning). I also have some squash, pumpkin or maybe cucumber (I can't tell yet) plants coming in.

Does anyone else get them? What do you do with them when they're coming up this time of year? I'm in the north so frost will be here within weeks.

Yes, I get them as well. Those seeds are pretty danged hearty to pass through the digestive track of most animals and come away unscathed.

I had tried to place them in containers and put them up next to the house where it is more protected. Bzzzt. Wrong answer. I've tried containers and bringing them inside. Bzzzt. Wrong answer. So far I've had no luck. I have a sunroom but it is on the east northeast side of the house so it doesn't get anything but morning sun. If you have a south facing window(s) you might have more luck since you'll have longer sun on them. Anymore I just play taps, give them a salute and turn them under.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had a few rogue tomato plants this year. They came up in the compost and in the garden. Last years tomatoes were nasty no flavor. The rogue plants were better in flavor. Last year the soil was 4.5 ph and the lime brought it to about 6.5, Almost there I want to get to 6.8 to 7ph. The container plants did OK. Mine didn't go through any animals.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I should clarify that I do get spring volunteers and I let them grow. I had a dandy cherry tomato plant this year that volunteered. My earlier post was on late season volunteers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had pumpkins that didn't make it through the drought. I mowed'em down a few weeks ago and have maybe 100 pumpkin plants about 3" tall. Debating on what I might could do with them.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I get volunteer tomatoes all the time. In the spring I let them go and any strong ones get dug and moved before the first tilling.
    If they are cherry tomatoes, I let them go. If they turn out to be some hybrid Italian Plum/Cherry cross, they get ripped out.
    In the fall, like Rick, I just say, "Good Try" and turn them under.
    I've had squash come up later, after the till, I'll usually let them go until I can figure out what kind of squash it is. A summer squash might make it but the winter varieties won't harden up in time, so I just rip em out.