Thread: Siege of Stailingrad

Default Siege of Stailingrad

Last edited by rebel; 02-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Truly horrific conditions. For an American version, read the Battle of Hurtgen Forest. It stands as America's longest battle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

All war is Horrific. Did I read someplace that more starved or froze to death on both sides in that battle than die of actual war wounds....???

Hurtgen? 26,000 American combat casualties, 24,000 American non-combat casualties mostly due to frostbite, trench foot, malnurishment and disease. The Germans had nearly as many casualties. The battle began in September 44 and ended in January 45

Imagine being in a forest so thick you cannot stand upright, so dense you cannot see more than a few yards, during the worst winter in 100 years and your enemy has had months to booby trap and zero in on every available position. The artillery exploded in the tops of the trees......and no military objective.

A couple of good books on the subject:

The Bloody Forest by Gerald Astor
    A Dark and Bloody Ground by Edward Miller
    Last edited by Rick; 02-07-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Not to offend any of our WWII Vets cause I would never do that, but there is so much out there on WWII it almost sickens me. I sometimes feel that war has been beaten to death, I know the Vets were in a horrible war but it takes up so much room in the library, history tv, bookstores, that I think other wars and conflicts get overlooked.
    I hope this does not offend anyone because I didn't mean too, I appricate everyting they did for us and me, truely and honestly.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

War is He-double hockey sticks so I been told and read.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Peleliu Island

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Yea, similar to Peleliu island. The "experts said 3 days". About 3 months latter... We lost family there. My Pop became a mustang on Iwo. He's gone but I have his 1911.
    I was very fortunate to visit Peleliu Island back in the early eighties. I was apart of a Marine Expeditionary Force that was stationed aboard the newly commissioned USS Peleliu. The ship visited the island for a ceremony and to provide humanitarian aid to the eight hundred people that live there. (mostly school supplies) The people were great and told us of the the ten year occupation that forced the people to build an air strip, made from crushed coral, prior to the war. You still can see the artillery in the caves and firearms with their wood rotted away piled next to the trails. The stories of their people while under occupancy were hard to believe, yet some survived and a new generation began.

Beo - I think it is the scale. Only twice has the world been at war. And WWI never received the level and breadth of coverage WWII did. I do understand what you are saying.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Imagine No guns, no rockets, no grenades, Two army's meet in the wilderness, in a open valley, just hand to hand, swords, shields, axes, etc.. Battle starts at sunrise, last 11 hours, 59,000 men dead in one massive pile. No other animal on earth is as civilized as humans.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.