Thread: Past my prime

Default Past my prime

I have always thought Survival was a matter of perspective.

I asked my brother what hard-core survival was to him. He replied it was a 5 star hotel without room service at 3am. The fix all, ultimate survival kit of his consists of a satellite phone and a no limit credit card.

I do not see where I would find myself in a wilderness survival situation, at least not anymore. That is not to say I do not plan for it.

When you find yourself in a situation that is not planned for. Knowledge is the key. Be that knowing how to deal with people or knowing how to make a fire. It is what we know that improves our chances for success.

Keeping this in mind. Also knowing my limitations, ability and willingness to push them to there limits. I do not see where I could not survive in most situations. Well at least for a time!

Planning on a survival situation in my opinion is camping with time to practice what I think I know and keeping these skills honed to a usable edge. I have only found myself in what I consider a true survival situation three times in my life.

As a POW I had to use skills I learned, to survive, as best I could.

One time I lost all my gear. Everything but what I had in my pockets. It was 3 weeks of covering ground to a supply/ pick up point with no one around to help. This last one was somewhat planned for. I knew this could happen and carried a kit in my pocket to cover the basics.

Once I was confronted by a group of fellows with ill intent. I took a beating but did as much damage as I was able, before I was put under. A Month in a hospital for me and months of recovery for the survivors I left behind. Also 2 years of expensive legal issues before it was decided I acted with just course.

In each case it was knowledge that kept me alive. Knowing what to do and doing it. Knowing that success depended on me and not on someone else coming and doing what had to be done. That and a Banana Splits. In each case I promised myself a Banana Split once I could get to one. A goal to strive toward.

Reading the posts on this forum gives me ideas on things I can learn. Things I need to practice. Things I know how to do but have let the skill sit dormant far too long. I sit here in my nice warm house and look at all the gear I have collected over time. I look out the door at the foot of wet snow and the water soaked ground out in the yard. I think to myself, it is good not to be out in that muddy soon to freeze mess.

Could I set up in the yard and make a few days of it? Yes. Do I want to? Heck NO! But if I had too, I could.

The car and truck have 72-hour kits. If I find myself out and about in the wilds of suburbia (Camping) or get stuck out on the side of the road for a time, I am covered. If the local damn breaks, I am covered for a month or longer stay. If power goes out for a weeks, I have that covered. I have the means to get clean water, heat, food and light.

This last year was my last time trekking out in the high lonesome alone. Knowing your limitations is part of survival. Mine have now gotten past the point; I could or would cross the stream and climb the mountain willingly. The last time I was out alone for a month, it took me weeks to recover from the exertion. My health and ability have passed with old age.

I have reached the point I will get out and about but will do it with a car or truck at hand. I will go camping as best I can. I have the knowledge to go out and chase the white elephant. I just have to accept the fact I no longer have the ability or stamina. It is heck getting old and then having to accept it.

I turned 55, today. I have issues with my health. I hurt when it rains and if my back goes out again, I know from experience, I will be weeks laid on my back. Years of pushing the limit and going when I should have stopped have caught up with me.

I am not old! I am just past my prime!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Good post, Don. I agree that knowing your limits is as important a skill as fire or shelter building. As Sarge says, the most important thing you take into the bush is your brain.

Happy Birthday "old timer". I'll be 54 tomorrow.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey Don, at least you have some place to share your knowledge. And give an example to others, (if that guy survived being a POW being stuck in whatever is not as bad)

Hey Don,Happy Birthday!,I'll be 29+++++++ on Friday!

Blog Entries

Don, Happy Birthday! Bro, and there's no such thing as "Past your prime"
    Last edited by Beo; 02-05-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default happy birthday oldtimer

as chris ledoux the cowboy poet and 1976 world champion bare back rider said in a song it ain't the years it's the miles. i will be 39 years old in april i have been an airborn ranger with combat experience i rodeoed professionally as a bull rider many injuries there and also have a 6 and 1 pro record in cage fighting plus other stupid stunts so as chris ledoux says it ain't the years its the miles i feel older than 39 and worry that when tough times hit i may not be able to perform the way i need to.

Happy Birthday Don, I think the kind of wisdom you just shared means you are just in your prime.

***and having a birthday today puts you in darn good company***
    Last edited by trax; 02-05-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: to provide accurate information to the world dang it
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Happy Birthday Don, sorry to ask here but I can get enough paint chips or something. And I can not remember how to post a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Happy Birthday Don, I think the kind of wisdom you just shared means you are just in your prime.

***and having a birthday today puts you in darn good company***
    Happy Birthday Trax!!!!!

Happy Birthday Don

Also to Rick, i hope you have a great day

Happy Birthday Trax
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

So any one else gotta birthday this month???Sounds like its party time!

PARTY POPPERS YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Party Party Party

We need a DJ, a large hall, alcohol beverages, and those little tiny things that you eat.

And a Hugeeee Cake !
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Happy Birthday Don ...your post is very much like mine would be . I too ,am to young to fill this D.. old.....Happy Birthday All
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Nell when you get to 31 call me you will be just the age I will need to keep me acting young! I am going to brag a bit.

Well I get to add another country this year. I am going to take a trip up to canada. I do not consider being in a place countable unless you spend over 30 days there. 28 country's and counting. Canada makes 29.

Ranger wareagle69? We used to send them to go get our water. SF 1970 threw 1974. 11-B-AZ-30. Spook 1974 threw 1980. SF zapper 1987 threw 1993. Where I went we would wait on the rangers to get there and at times weeks waiting on them. I have done ROK Marine Assault Training on Chegado. SAS and SA5 in Ireland. Greek Air Born Training and Turkish Air Assault. I got to China with Nixon and saw the 88 Olympics in Korea.

Now who wants to count miles of wear?

I need to go camping! This sitting on my asp is not doing my mind much good.

PS : Thanks for the congrats you all.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

LOL,Don,I wish I was only turning 31 on Friday
    Last edited by nell67; 02-05-2008 at 09:04 PM.

O.K. Happy birthday to everybody that is having a birthday. And if you're not...you will, so happy birthday to you too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Happy birthday bud, You haven't got that many years on me. You up and around yet.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Ya I am up and around. Hows TDW doing Joe(beerunner13)? The braces are off. I am thinking about getting out in Mar for a few days already. I have to do a lot of walking for rehab. This should get me in shape for camping.

Don