Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Lonely at All

If you look at the bottom of some people's post, you will see a phrase or something. It is the same for every post, and generally has nothing to do with what they are commenting on. For instance, Crash's says "Can't means won't". That is the signature line. It is the same for every post you make. This is the place that you can put a link to your site. To edit, or add, your own personal signature, first click on the "settings" link at the top right of the website. This should take you to your personal settings page. If you scroll down the page, on the left hand side, you will see an "edit signature". If you click that link, it will help you fill in something for your signature line. Also on the settings page, you can edit your avatar (that is the picture that shows on every post in the upper left corner). Hopefully this helps.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by ronjnk View Post
    Hi CrashDive123,
    I didn't post the link. I understand and will abide by those rules you and the board have set. I had a PM that requested my link. Was I allowed to give it to him in a PM? After he received my PM response he posted the link. Feel free to delete it if you want. In answer to your other question, no there are no other homesteads on our lake. Thanks , Ron
    Hi Crashdive123,
    It's me again. I really don't want to piss off anybody on the board here especially the moderators. I also don't want to have anybody else in trouble for posting my link. Please just confirm that if requested via a PM, that I can respond in that PM and give them my link. I don't know what you mean, that I can post the link as part of my signature but it's not important. I will not post my link period until I have met whatever requirements are needed from the board.
    Ron
    If you are asked via PM for a link to your site then you can respond. Where it becomes a problem in PM's is if you sent that link to member(s) via PM that is unsolicited. The link that Rebel posted is fine. I would have deleted it if it were not.

You haven't upset anybody. Nobody is in trouble for posting your link (Rebel finds ways all his own to do that). FinallyME explained the signature thing pretty good in post 21.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Rick for the go ahead. We know where the Fosters/Daly are. Have you been in the area?

Thanks also to crashdive123 and finallyMe for the feedback and proper signature info. I'll have to think about that. I'll probably just leave it alone for now. Sourdough... I get the feeling you've been around the bush a little too.

Not lately. {{{snort, chuckle}}}
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hello Winter,
    Thanks for the kind words on our setup. I hear you on the "Crown" but they have been utterly fantastic. I'd have to check but I believe they put out a 10 year lease. After 10 years you just renew. Evidently it has been that way for a long time. We have a sizable investment in time, sweat, and money and to be honest we aren't worried about it at all as far as being leased out here.

That's good news Ron.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

How is the Crown about leasing to non citizens?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Not a problem at all crashdive123. We are US citizens. However, I checked and foreigners have no restrictions on purchasing this place. There are many US citizens that have places in Canada as well as Canadians owning US property.

I should mention that for non residents of Canada to check with immigration Canada on how long you can stay in Canada before you have to return to your country. I think it is 179 days but better check. In other words, you can buy property in Canada with no problem and you can legally stay here for some period of time (179?????? days). You solve the problem by becoming a permanent resident of Canada.

Ron, how far do you have to travel by boat to reach "civilization"? By that I mean any town with medical care and basic supplies. You said you fly in and out. Thing is, what if you can't fly? Sick, weather, etc. And, if one doesn't fly (not a licensed pilot) is your location just not right for them?
    How have you dealt with health/medical needs in the 11 years you lived there?
    How close is the closest neighbor?

Hello Benesse,
    You have some good questions. Boat won't get you anywhere. The outlet to our lake is boulder strewn. It's a 100 miles by air to get to medical or shopping. Snowmobile won't do it either. You would be weeks hacking a trail through the woods and you ultimately have at least one serious river crossing. Air is the only way in and out. We are not pilots and have to charter a flight to get in and out. That's why we only fly out twice a year. Pretty expensive. Not really sure where the nearest neighbor is. There are some trappers cabins within 10-15 miles of us. We generally don't see a soul unless there is a forest fire. When the big mushroom cloud is billowing nearby, they are a welcome sight!!! In the 11 years we've only had a couple visits from a distant friend flying in. We have had to get medical help and it is a concern. The problems were not life threatening but obviously were a concern. We have a good medicine closet of stuff since the local medical community knows our situation. We do have a chopper pad open so that is also a way to get in and out. Only did the chopper routine once for a fire. The really dicey times of the year are freeze up and Spring thaw. We have to wait either for solid ice or the lake to open to get the float plane in. Winter time the floats are off and the planes are on skis.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not lately. {{{snort, chuckle}}}
    Now thats my kinda humor!
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ronjnk, What size aircraft do you come in and out on. I am guessing C-185 or a Beaver........?

Ron, you mentioned 10-15 miles to some trappers' cabins. What's beyond? How far would you have to travel on foot to reach say, a small settlement? Can you do it in a vehicle of any sort? Is it possible to pre-position a vehicle at some location from which you can then travel easier?
    Can you use any materials off the land to build with (rocks, timber, etc.) or is that off limits given the land lease set up?
    And finally, how did you discover this particular area on which you decided to build?

Good Morning Sourdough,
    You are right on for the most part. The 185 is the cheapest way to get in here with the Beaver next in line. Then the Single Otter, Turbo Otter which is I believe is a juiced up version of the Single and then the Twin Otter. We used the Twin to haul much of the building supplies in. We did that in the winter since skis are a little cheaper than float. We prepositioned all the building supplies and then over a weekend we made a good 10 trips with the Twin. Talk about being overheated at 0 and beat by the end of that weekend. Ron

Good Morning Benesse,
    You asked "what is beyond?" More of the same. You are virtually surrounded by woods, water and wilderness. Other than the rare trappers cabin, there is a scattering of tourist outfitters for the summer months. We literally don't see a human being other than those times we fly out for resupply. We are too far out there for anybody to walk in here. This territory is so vast that it isn't often we see a float plane go by in the summer. It does make our day when one goes close by and we get to wave to him as he goes by. We know most of the pilots. There is no way to preposition a vehicle. It's about 65 air miles to the nearest small, real small community. A little less than that to hit a road. Not a good idea to bushwhack 60 miles. Stick with the airplane. I have heard there are a few rough snowmobile trails that the trappers use but even then it is a few days travel, extremely dangerous and there aren't any trails anywhere near us. Snow depth, water crossings, blowdowns. Just a few of the problems of snowmobiling on a rough winters trail. There is nothing as thrilling as taxiing down a lake in a float plane and lifting off from the water. Air is your best bet. Your lease is yours to do with as you want. You can use logs or native stone to build with. That is what many of the trappers cabins and some tourist camps use. We are in a sandy area where our homestead is. We needed a site with something to pass for soil so we could have a big garden. There are areas though on the lake that are stone everywhere deposited by the glaciers. Lots of patience, lots talking to people and lots of time studying maps helped us find this location. Ron

Very cool homestead, thanks for posting....Why are you selling it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi Hunter,
    Thanks for the kind comment. We are getting older and some medical issues are creeping in. Nothing urgent though so there is no rush to selling. We figured it will take a unique buyer so we'll at least get it out there and see what happens. I'm surprised half the board isn't fighting over buying it. arf arf Ron

Banned
    Blog Entries

We are getting older and some medical issues are creeping in. Nothing urgent though so there is no rush to selling. We figured it will take a unique buyer so we'll at least get it out there and see what happens. I'm surprised half the board isn't fighting over buying it. arf arf Ron
    Yes, I am in roughly the same position. Lots of buyers for a dollar down and a dollar a month. Sadly I'll have to subdivide in order to get the price down.