Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning Jars....What size, brand, etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Canning Jars....What size, brand, etc.

Is one brand more goooooder than another, is one lid more gooder. Quarts or pints......? Do the lids need special storage.......?

I only use the Ball brand.

There's some off brands, many of which are made in China who's quality (or lack thereof) isn't something I want to deal with.

I use quarts for most things but pints or smaller for jellies and pizza sauce (as a full qt of pizza sauce is enough for 6+ pizzas).

If I'm just juicing or making things like soup that go quickly, I actually go up to 1/2 gallon jars.

I store my lids in a moderate climate area. Basically, in the house is reasonable.

I only use the Ball brand as well. Most of the things I put up are in quarts and pints as well. I do use some of the smaller (4 oz) jars for things like honey so I can give away some. I also keep my dehydrated foods in the Ball jars. One important thing to keep in mind about the lids is to buy extra. You do not (when canning) want to reuse the lids (rings are OK). Any small cut or tear in the rubber gasket will not allow a good vacuum and the food can spoil without you being aware of it. I do reuse the lids when I am using the jar for dry storage or honey.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My mom and grandma always said Mason was the best brand. But, I don't think they are still selling. Ball is top notch as well. I like wide mouth better than narrow mouth, but that is just me, easier to fill. I have never looked at temp ratings (ie, can you store them in freezing Alaska all winter with no problems).

Edit:
    I found this website helpful
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html
    Last edited by finallyME; 09-27-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned
    Blog Entries

What about Kerr brand.......???? And what do you pay for a box of Quart size......? They are $11.97 here.

My mom says that Kerr works if you can't find Ball or Mason. My grandma told me the same thing before she died. She has been canning since before even you were born.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Over the years I have collected several different brands of jars. Ball,Kerr,Atlas,Mason and others are on the list. I can't say that any that I have are not usable. They're all rated for pressure canning so I use them. As far as size qts,pints are the most used when canning here. Depends how much of one thing you think you might need for a meal. If you throw half of it away because you don't use it then your defeating the purpose of all that work. We also use some 8oz and 4oz for jam and jelly. I do have some larger Atlas and Mason jars (1/2 gal and 1 gal size) but only use them in special cases as they don't fit the canner. Remember to always check the lip of any jar you're using. A small chip or any rough spot can mean failure no matter how good the lid is. Lids. I use Ball most of the time. I haven't had good luck in resent years with some of the others. As far as storage we keep all our canning equipment in our pantry room. As cool and dry as we have here in this house.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    And what do you pay for a box of Quart size......? They are $11.97 here.
    Everyday price is about $7.00 - $7.50 for regular mouth and $8.95 for wide-mouth around here.

[QUOTE=BScout;312489]Everyday price is about $7.00 - $7.50 for regular mouth and $8.95 for wide-mouth around here.[/QUOTE

Don't buy many jars anymore as we have alot on hand but if we ever need any I'd like to know where you live. Around here Ball runs about $10-$11 for the standards and $13 and up for the wide mouths.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

The prices I quoted are pretty standard at the closest Wally World. I only go in there a few times a year (and when I do, I get as many cases I can carry in a cart), but that's what they've been for the last couple years.

Our prices are about the same as BScout's at Wally World.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I echo what Oldtrap said. I've used a lot of different jars and I don't see any difference. When I buy jars I do buy Ball only because that's about the only thing you can find around here. Ball lids and rings as well. I also try to stay with the wide mouth jars. Just a lot more convenient to me. I use quarts mostly because I like the larger amount with a big family. I've canned a few things in pints and if I wind up with only enough of something to fill a pint that that's what I use. Jelly jars are the last on the list. Those three sizes are what I use.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1: Only get large mouth jars, (easier to clean and cleaning is very important)
    2: Even if you jars other than Ball get Ball lids! They are the best made.
    3: If you standardize the jar mouth size, you won't be buying different sizes of lids and rings
    4: quarts for most things, I use 1/2 gallons for pickles or pickled vegies
    I know what hunts you.

Scoping yard sales and flea markets can really save some cash on jars. I have yet had to buy any jars from the store. Just make sure you check the edge of the lip for any cracks or chips. The last score I got was 9-wide mouth ball quart jars for $3 at a yard sale.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

kerr are fine jars. i use both them and ball. i agree about the wide mouths. it is handy in a couple of areas; as mentioned. it is also a good size and shape opening to neatly pour both thin liquids and thicker gloopy stuff like sauces and soups,

size is a tougher question. quarts are a good size for many things. for many items, a quart is simply more than you might be able to consume before spoilage (e.g. how much mint jelly might you really go through in 2-4 weeks?). a good bunch of pint and half pints might be handy.

larger sizes may be usefull from time to time, but beyond a quart they can become cumbersome for processing (do you want to invest in a high end pressure cooker to hard can gallon jars?).

$10-12 is about what i have usually paid per dozen quart jars.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Don't you have to pressure process 1/2gallon jars? I don't think I'd do anything over a quart in a water bath and then only if the water came over the top of the jars 1.5". I use the pressure canner when doing quarts, I just don't screw down the lid or close the vents.
    I have an odd assortment of jars from various folks. Usually use pints for pickles, fruits, and strawberry jam and half pints for smaller batches of jellies.
    Lids, they do have an expiration date of sorts. Ball would like you to think you should toss them and buy new every year if you don't use them up, but I keep em a couple years and make sure they stay in rotation.

Has anyone checked out the reusable lids? Lehmans has them. Expensive but might be worth it if you can use them 4 or 5 times.
    They're also BPA free. Most canning lids contain BPA in the sealer or the liner.
    http://non-electric.lehmans.com/hard...Canning%20Lids

larger volume just means longer time and/or greater heat input for the contents to reach temp, just as with pressure canning, heat processing being a function of time over temperature.

whether you need to hard can simply depends on the material being processed.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    size is a tougher question. quarts are a good size for many things. for many items, a quart is simply more than you might be able to consume before spoilage (e.g. how much mint jelly might you really go through in 2-4 weeks?). a good bunch of pint and half pints might be handy..
    As there is just the two of us, we use the pint size jars. We can consume the contents before there is any waste.

My Wife canned over 100 pints of tomatoes and 20 jelly sized jars of Salsa off of 6 tomatoe plants. It was a bumper crop year. The tomatoes were like grapes hanging on the vine in clusters. the plants were over 5 ft in height and over 80% of the tomatoes were in the 3 inch or larger range.

We have never had tomatoes such as these before. Wife suggested we scale back to 4 plants next year.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

There comes a point in heat processing though where the outside cooks to mush before the middle is heated enough to kill the beasties.
    I just don't have a tried and true recipe for anything over quart sized.
    Consider yourself lucky if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans
    We have never had tomatoes such as these before. Wife suggested we scale back to 4 plants next year.
    And sure as you do it will be a drought year and you'll get two tomatoes. You know how it works.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.