Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Seybert Rendezvous

Default Fort Seybert Rendezvous

Ten days in the mountains of WV, I needed it bad. We went up early to help out LOL all the work was done. This is one of my favorite places. No cellphone or electricity. I finished my wife's buckskin dress, yoke, leggings and did some odd leather work like knife sheaths. I also did a lot of cooking, even the kid liked it. The camp pot luck was amazing Beef, Venison, Bear, pork, and chicken along with sides like beans corn bread potato salad and more.

The 11th was quiet and a full moon. I sent up some prayers and smoke for our friends and family here... there.... on line and those who have moved on............ AhHo!!

Promised prayers and General prayrs for all. For my living history, primitive, reenacting friends Wish you could be here. For my non-reenacting friends wish it even more.

Smoke in the morning from last nights prayers.LOL
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Wife's dress

Our camp group

Photo bucket album to see other pictures.
    http://photobucket.com/Fortseybert2011
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thanks for posting......Nice job on the dress, wimmen folk like the geefaws and such...
    Want to get out one more time this year, but hunting seasons are fast approching....don't know.
    Keep your nose to the wind, and powder dry...........watch your top knot....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the pics.

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a wonderful way to spend 10 days. I love the "smoke" in the mountains in the first picture.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looks like a great time. I love the picture of the mountain smoke. You did a really awesome job on that dress. That is real talent and well done.

thanks for sharing nice work

Karl - As always you did a fine job. Some great pictures, too. Thanks for sharing them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks like fun, thanks for the pics.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks for the kind comments. My wife has some Shawnee and Iroquois blood and always wanted a three hide dress. I couldn't pass up $4 a sq foot on the hides.

It would be a great place for a get together.

Black smithing forge, Black powder range, hawk range, a bow range could be setup. The owner is planning on building a stockade fort with the available information for the original 1754 fort. All on privet land.

Sparky... You go to feast last weekend?? I was a member of Lamb's Artillery navy blue regimental with Blue facings with a blue 3 pounder cannon. Dang I miss that event, lots of friends.
    Next event is in the city park for WV Forrest festival. We set up a primitive encampment to demonstrate and give a look at pioneer life in 1750 when the area was settled. We get a good mix of demonstrations. Musket builder, knife maker, leather, cooking baking, spinning weaving, music, story telling....... Thursday and Friday is School days.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

Gosh Durnet!! I forgot that was last weekend!! I was planning on going to that, but I went home last weekend. I'm still planning on going to the 100th anniversery of the battle of tippecanoe. Man I can't believe I forgot about that, I was lookin forward to goin to it.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Okay, saved the 200th anniversery of the battle of tippecanoe date in my phone so I don't miss this one. It is November 5th-6th at Tippecanoe Battlefield north of Lafayette.
    Thomas Paine

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Beautiful. Wish I were there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

very nice, ten days to unwind.

Its two hours away from my house. I'm joining the muzzleloading group that owns the range $37 a year which gives me access to the site. I told the owner of the property that I've never been hunting. His comment was We need to take care of that. I want to take him up on it. Hmmm I need to do some shopping. Ah need want thats a fine line.
    Karl

Fine line? Of course it's not a fine line. There is no line. Every man wants what he needs and needs what he wants. See?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

gryf. Looks like a great way to spend 10 days. I've driven through the WV mountains more then once but have never stopped. As your pictures say, they are a beautiful sight. Btw. Good job on the wife's outfit. Lots of good work there.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Okay, I got a question. Me and a friend were discuusing this the other day and I figured somebody on here could give me a definete answer. What is the purpose of the tassles on buckskin clothing? My thoughts were that it may be for camouflage, to break up the silloutte of the human body.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Okay, I got a question. Me and a friend were discuusing this the other day and I figured somebody on here could give me a definete answer. What is the purpose of the tassles on buckskin clothing? My thoughts were that it may be for camouflage, to break up the silloutte of the human body.
    One function is to help to wick water away so it dries faster. I'm sure there are other reasons too, such as decorative, maybe a stature thing?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Its two hours away from my house. I'm joining the muzzleloading group that owns the range $37 a year which gives me access to the site. I told the owner of the property that I've never been hunting. His comment was We need to take care of that. I want to take him up on it. Hmmm I need to do some shopping. Ah need want thats a fine line.
    If you're looking for a recommendation. I've got a Lyman great plains rifle in 50 cal, 1 / 60 twist, percussion and it shoots the round ball GREAT! http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page37.html You can shop around and find them cheaper. Here's a kit: http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/...k-p-16809.html

I agree with Crashes explanation of fringe, it does seem to help you dry faster.

Rebel, Thanks for the link, its not one i have, I'll have to look around. The one i was looking at is an early Lancaster pattern but with out the patch box. here http://www.longrifles-pr.com/earlylancaster.shtml
    Karl