Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: being a scavanger and utilizing found resources

Default being a scavanger and utilizing found resources

yesterday i went on a stress releasing hike and came across some pine sap seeping i collected, some cattail, and found a deer that was hit and i guess landed down in the reveen next to the road. so i thought why not collect some sinew. as i was on the last leg and tendon, a state guy showed up and tried to give me a ticket for taking the deer, as i pointed out to him hey..... do i have a gun or a bow? he didnt say anything, he went on a long speech about what i dont know didnt pay attention. i was calling odnr, i told them what was going on and the officer asked to talk to the trooper, they talked about a min. he handed me the phone and walked away, odnr officer said have a good day and said he should be leaving you alone, and that if i want anything else get it before another officer comes for the deer because some one called it in already on hitting it. it amazes me that some people just get their kicks being a bad guy. all i was doing was being smart and collecting potential materials and tines
    Last edited by Rick; 09-25-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Keep it PG-13 please.
    i cannot teach you anything, but only help you explore inner self, you have everything already you just need to realize it. - BRUCE LEE

In my area, it is illegal to harvest a deer that you hit with your vehicle. You can harvest a deer that someone else hit though, which is a little odd.

As for the cop, as I'm sure you know, you find a-holes in every area of life.

Here, deer that get hit become the property of the state. They are either given away around here or sent to foodbanks and soup kitchens in the anchorage area.

Two yrs ago, I was coming home from work and a bunch of people were on the side of the road. Seems someone hit a deer and they were waiting on the troopers.

A bear runs out from the woods, grabs the deer and takes off. Damnedest thing I've seen in a bit. We reckoned the bear was following the deer and probleby spooked it into the road at the wrong time.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Either that or the bear figured ya'll would be blamed by the trooper.

"Honest, a big ole bear done run out of them woods, grabbed the deer and ran off with it."
    "Uh huh. Do you care to open your trunk for me?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hahahaha, I got a good laugh out of that. It's funny, and wrong, we talk like Sarah Palin. Kinda a yankee TV voice. Not me so much cause I was raised in the smokies.

But, yeah, funny **** rick.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had to go through a lot of red tape and make some phone calls to be able to collect the roadkills around here. DNR is serious about poaching.

Good job on spotting resources and collecting.. next time make double sure you have permissions before messing with roadkills, and if I may interject.. Wear rubber gloves when handling them. If it's anything less than fresh, you stand a very good chance of getting an infection if you have even a tiny cut on your finger...

Don't ask him how he knows......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just assume he does and let it go.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i always carry surgical gloves in my kit just because of blood born pathagens, when doing this, and for first aid, last thing i need is to catch something.
    i cannot teach you anything, but only help you explore inner self, you have everything already you just need to realize it. - BRUCE LEE

Quote Originally Posted by nilespathfinder View Post
    i always carry surgical gloves in my kit just because of blood born pathagens, when doing this, and for first aid, last thing i need is to catch something.
    I remember when I went and used my pole and caught a crab. I was hoping for a nice.....wait..uh..nevermind, wrong kinda catching.

I would think that since we both live in OH, the law up there would be the same. Down here you call your local LE Dept and they come out and write you a slip giving you ownership of the deer. That is to be done prior to any collecting. Most ODNR guys are more laid back about it than LEO though. I would go and get the slip next time just to cover you backside. Good scavanging!

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    In my area, it is illegal to harvest a deer that you hit with your vehicle. You can harvest a deer that someone else hit though, which is a little odd.

As for the cop, as I'm sure you know, you find a-holes in every area of life.
    They probably do that so people won't hit them on purpose as a way to circumvent poaching laws.

"58 Dodge Power Wagon, BAB's, wench, front and rear, electric chain saw, salad oil for bar oil....Jack Pine Savage grocery cart. Ya, dar hey.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Only Nell harvests deer like that.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Only problem I ever had with the law on road kill was one when I hit one driving a Toyota Hi-Lux. A TN trooper tried to write me up a ticket for killing a deer with a sub-caliber truck.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

road kill cleanup is a state funtion that someone is hired to do for a paid wage. they resent anyone "cheating them out of thier money. the carcasses are collected, processed, creamated ,then disposed of the chain or hands provides an indstry for several people. . yea they get offended when you impead the process. let me step into your job and cheat four of your friends out of half of a days pay....see the point?
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 09-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    road kill cleanup is a state funtion that someone is hired to do for a paid wage. they resent anyone "cheating them out of thier money. the carcasses are collected, processed, creamated ,then disposed of the chain or hands provides an indstry for several people. . yea they get offended when you impead the process. let me step into your job and cheat four of your friends out of half of a days pay....see the point?
    So they are going thru all that to just remove a food source for the wolves, coyotes, foxes, eagles, hawks, crows, buzzards?

Sounds like a sweetheart job to me.....Let me get all my hunting buddies on the public payroll.....

Wisconsin did away that as it was a farce.......Now Mother Nature does the job for free.......and the dead deer act as a speed deterrent, with out the signs.

My father when employed a DNR Ranger, pulled clean up duty from time to time....Were supposed to pull off road, bury in a 6ft deep pit covered with lime.
    Mostly it was two guys,... one of the front legs one on the rear legs, and it was , "A one, ana two, ana three, ana he ran right into the woods..."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You can dig 6 feet!? I go down about a foot and hit bedrock here.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

That's not at all how it works here. If you hit a deer around here the deputy will issue you a permit to take the deer. If you don't want it then they will call others on a waiting list that are signed up to take road hit deer. This article is a town about 10 mile from me.

http://heraldbulletin.com/local/x141...o-take-carcass

And, your car insurance will pay for you to hit them! Is America great or what?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    They probably do that so people won't hit them on purpose as a way to circumvent poaching laws.
    That is exactly why, well half of the why. I was told it also had to do with insurance fraud, which I can see.

Here in SW ohio, where it dies is where it lays.......for months. I believe the few laws that there are for me about road kill are just to supplement poaching. Although the deer population is increasing pretty well. Yet I still can't get a dang deer when hunting.