Thread: So,I was watching 1000 ways to die......

Default So,I was watching 1000 ways to die......

Monday night.Happened to be switching through channels and noticed one scenario about a survivalist.
    Anybody that has seen this show knows they always paint the victim in a negative light.Well apparently some guy watching
    a"survival show" sees the host eating wild edibles.The host of the show is like"I'm going to kick mother natures butt".
    The host proceeds to pick wild edibles and make a "nature salad".

So the guy goes out and states the same mother nature thing before entering the wilderness.He picks wild edibles and makes a"nature salad".
    Well,the guy ends up poisoning himself.So after they show the guys graphic but humerous death they tell what some of the things he ate were.
    I can remember 2 of them.Fox glove was one and poison hemlock the other.

Well they showed a picture of two of the poisonous plants this guy ingested.The Foxglove appeared to be correct.But,the hemlock appeared to be like hemlock/pine or conifer tree.From what I understand,hemlock is a plant that looks similar to ladies mantle or yarrow in bloom.
    But it also grows near water.

Did anybody else see this program?Am I correct about hemlock?
    I plan to do a search on hemlock.I know we have tons of ladies mantle and some yarrow flowering in my nieghborhood.

Didn't see the show, but you are correct that Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum) or Water Hemlock family (Cicuta species and Oenanthe crocata L.) do not look like a pine tree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Actually the hemlocks look like cow parsnip as per "Edible Wild Plants" a North American field guide. Elias & Dykeman
    I know what hunts you.

They were probably showing a hemlock tree. That show is b.s. , they just make up 90% of the stuff... but it can be entertaining!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Water Hemlock Cicuta virosa, and Poison Hemlock Conium maculatum, most closely resemble Queen Anne's Lace Daucus carota. Most notable is the fact that the stems of D. carota are green, and covered in tiny hairs, while those of the Hemlocks are hairless, and have either purple blotches, or ar purple in color, and covered in a blush. The flower heads are also very different. Once you know the characteristics of each, it is virtually impossible to mix them up.

This is Water Hemlock:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

and this;

and This;

This is Poison Hemlock:

and this;

and this;
    Last edited by aldankirk; 08-11-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: To fix an embedded picture link
    Happy Foraging

Kirk

Livingafield.com - Information Concerning Edible And Medicinal Uses For Common Great Lakes Area Plants, As Well As Information On Numerous Aspects Of Outdoor Living And Survival.

Wow,thanks a ton,kirk.
    That really cleared up a lot of questions I had about hemlock.
    The purple, blotchy, hairless stem is very noticeable.

I was amazed at the number of Poison Hemlock plants found along ditches, roadsides and culverts in Southern Indiana after I learned to ID the plant. It grows everywhere it seems and I've seen it next to people's mailboxes where they do not trim the grass often.

Default oleander

i created an account just to tell you that the other toxic plant he ingested was oleander.

Quote Originally Posted by treelover333 View Post
    i created an account just to tell you that the other toxic plant he ingested was oleander.
    Cool,so somebody else seen that episode.
    Don't just create an account for this.Stick around and share in some good conversation.

Post Poisonous plants.

1000 yrs ago I used to live in Va and was a BoyScout. My Dad used to always talk about the deliterious effects of Mountain Laurel. Mostly he said don't use it as a stick for cooking food nor roasting Marshmallows and the like. Said using mountain laurel would surely kill ya. Living near the Blue Ridge Mtns and camping in them on troop campouts I would make sure not to gather anything but what I might already know was not poisonous, oak, pine, and the like over and above just plain firewood.

thanks for the picts

I've decided if half the stuff on this show actually happened, it is just the gene pool self-cleansing. You can fix a lot of thing in this world, but you can't fix stupid.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.