Thread: My son's first antelope buck

Default My son's first antelope buck

I thought I would post a quick picture of my son with his first buck antelope. He made the shot at about 150 yards with a 7-08 Rem. Hunting with your kid is so much better than just doing it yourself...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It just doesn't get any better than that. Unless it's your grandkid. Congratulate him for us.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's a nice buck. Its good to see not all kids are stuck behind a video game 24/7. Congrats. My son is 21 and just now showing intrest in hunting with me.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Nice job Lad, buy him a beer for me....
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Nice Buck .Yea Always Good to Do Things With the Kids And They Learn some things Too. My Youngest Asked to Go Do Some Skinning Of Deer this Year .That Was Nice to Hear .
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Kids enjoy things they are not pushed into. They see dad having fun or into something and they come around.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Great looking buck. I can't wait for my son to get old enough.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Congrats to your son! I don't know nothing about pronghorns but that looks pretty awesome speed goat (to quote Micheal Waddel) to me!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Nice. Tell your son congrats.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Congrats to your son! I don't know nothing about pronghorns but that looks pretty awesome speed goat (to quote Micheal Waddel) to me!
    From a technical, trophy hunter's standpoint from the horn bottom to the prong he's pretty good. Good mass, the prong falls well above the ear, etc. However, I misjudged him in the quickly-darkening evening light and he's not as long as I would have preferred above the prong. In the end it's a nice buck but, he's not a great buck.

From a father-hunting-with-son standpoint he's an awesome trophy as we had a blast together glassing and evaluating different bucks and then finishing off the evening with a successful shot. You just can't buy experiences like these.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice harvest and got to share it with the kid too! That's really great luc!

Are you keeping those horns?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Makes me remember back 20 years ago when my son got his first white tail. Iowa just started having a youth season and I took him out to have a try at it. The first weekend out he got a buck that I would have been proud of myself. Now he talks about taking his son out(little young yet) as soon as he can. Seems it was something of an experience he wants to pass on down the line. Makes me smile inside when I hear him talk about it.

Nice pronghorn. Good shot. Goodtime for Dad and Son. What more can you ask for. Tell your son congrats.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Are you keeping those horns?
    No... but he is ;-)

Excellent shot. I always love doing stuff with my boys. Thanks for sharing.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I remember my first whitetain buck I killed, I was shaking so bad after I shot that I could barely talk LOL. So how does pronghorn taste in comparison to venison? I've never had it before, most people say they hate venison because it tastes to "gamey" but I love it!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    So how does pronghorn taste in comparison to venison? I've never had it before...
    Pronghorn has its own very unique flavor. It is a stronger flavor than your typical venison; much more so than moose or elk and to a lesser extent than deer. Some people really hate it (my boss says the best way to eat pronghorn is to fry it up in a cast iron skillet with some bacon and onions, then throw away the meat and eat the pan) and some people (like me) really like it. Surprisingly, my wife, who doesn't really like game meat at all, actually likes pronghorn. Mostly though, we just make it into jerky.

The overall quality of the meat you get depends a lot on how well the meat is taken care of after the shot. There's a combination of factors involved. Most pronghorn hunting is done in relatively high temperatures (70*+) and unlike deer that have the one scent gland at the back of each hind leg, pronghorn have numerous glands at various locations on their bodies (tail, neck, etc.) so; it's really paramount that you get the hide off and the meat cooled very quickly and that while doing so, you are touching the outside of the hide as little as possible. Done right pronghorn meat is delicious but, done wrong and it will be the gamiest meat you ever "enjoy."

Interesting, Lucznik. I did'nt know that, thanks.
    Thomas Paine

Hunt with them while you can,they grow up too fast,nothing bonds father and son better than a hunting trip that will be talked about for years to come!

Congratulation on a beautiful buck and a new hunter,good combination?

Thanks,Bob