Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting rid of Worms

I swollowed a little bit of gas as a teenager syphoning gas out of the lawnmower for my truck. That was enough....I think i'd rather be stuck with the worms!!!!!

I've heard swallowing tobacco kills worms, I don't know if it's true or not. Probably a wives tale.

Fly eggs are different dinosaurs. The eggs from intestinal worms come from the anus of some person or animal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have heard of turpentine for parasites which makes me think of pine needle or pine sap. I've heard of 20 mule team borax being used and also green walnut hulls. I know people used to give a dog a piece of a plug of tobacco for worms also. I've picked up parasites in third world countries before I learned not to run my hands along a handrail or building, or touch the water in a fountain and to never set my pack down in a town and never ever let your bare feet touch the ground in or out of a house. I went to the clinic and just happened to be checked for parasites, but I'd try alot of things if a doctor wasn't available.

I received my copy of Where There is no Doctor this week and it recommends mebendazole (Vermox) for most types of worms. There are no folk remedies suggested other than papaya. But it cautions that medicines work better.

"Collect 3 or 4 teaspoons (15-20 ml.) of the 'milk' that comes out when the green fruit or trunk of the tree is cut. Mix this with an equal amount of sugar or honey and stir into a cup of hot water. If possible, drink along with a laxative.

Even better, dry and crush to a powder the papaya seeds. Take 3 teaspoons mixed with 1 glass water or some honey 3 times a day for seven days."

It also cautions that you need to know what kind of worms you are dealing with. The wrong remedy can cause roundworms to move up to the nose or mouth and can cause gagging.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I recall, now, about the papaya seeds for malaria, cancer and a number of other sicknesses. I recall that I have some seeds saved. I had never heard that it was used for parasites. I know that it is a cousin of South American graviola and the North American pawpaw, all of which have been researched and shown to have some powerful medicinal properties. Thanks, I think I will read a bit more about those plants again. I did read that pregnant women should not use it. I wish they grew in my area or that I could buy football size papayas rather than softball size ones.

Cherokee used black walnut green hulls in some way for tape worm but I don't know how they prepared them. I can't find the source for that. I looked on line but can't remember which book I found it in. It's in ether Medicine of the Cherokee or Cherokee Herbal. I cant find my book and don't remember the cover. Not much help but might give you a direction for searching.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    Assuming you are in a long term survival situation would you be able to get rid of worms without medical help, there must have been a Native American solution.
    I plugged "Anthelmintic" into the Native Ethnobotany database, and got many, many hits.

http://herb.umd.umich.edu/

Of course, this doesn't tell you anything about preparation, dosing, or warnings. But it is a start for research.

I see some wild forms of tobacco listed. Perhaps that's where the whole tobacco for treatment idea started.

We've had a few worms on here from time to time. We usually just ban them.