Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snare wire?

Default Snare wire?

As far as I can tell, there are many different preferences as to snare wire.

So for a beginner who is looking to snare small to medium sized animals, say from a squirrel to a raccoon, what size gauge would you recommend?
    Kind of an all purpose wire that I can buy one large spool of.

I've bought medium weight picture wire and 20 gauge steel galvanized wire to practice with and the picture wire seems too flimsy and the 20 gauge too stiff.

I've read the Trapper's Bible several times and I've done the lamp cord routine that he recommends, that doesn't seem right either.

I'm also a bit confused about the length that a proper snare should be. The Trapper's Bible states two feet of wire is enough, but then the cordage you connect to the snare is within 'chewing' range. The pre-made snares are 4 feet long.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

(I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but please bear with me, thanks)

You actually have several options. 22 or 24 gauge wire in stainless steel, copper or brass are all good for small animals. You can buy it at Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot and many fine online establishments.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use .020 stainless safety wire for my snare wire( it's what we had in the military)
    I know what hunts you.

Thanks for the replies!

Sarky, do you mean this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Loos-Cableware.../dp/B0038YY312

Rick, something like this? :

http://www.amazon.com/Copper-Anneale...6591116&sr=8-2

Also, how long do you make your snares?

Thanks again!

Yes on the brass wire. The length depends on the type of snare you are making and the situation you are in. There are several types from squirrel poles to trigger snare to a basic loop snare. A 3-4 foot piece of wire will make a nice basic loop trail snare for rabbits and squirrels and give you enough "tail" to anchor it. You can make them smaller of course. I pull off about one arms length from finger to shoulder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick, that's what I thought! I was interested in making basic loop snares for now and practicing with them.
    I didn't want to 'invest' in a large roll of wire that would be useless or difficult to use.
    I watched one youtube video in particular that the man made a snare from paracord?
    That seemed silly to me as my hound can chew through paracord in about 5 minutes flat!
    As I plan to backpack out to where I'll be 'trapping' I wanted to keep it simple for now and not use all of the hardware that goes on a snare that you buy. Nothing fancy, nothing heavy (like the conibear 220 ha ha)
    I'm just wanting to practice setting them until I get it right.
    Thanks for the responses!

If you make a spring snare out of paracord or even a squirrel pole the animal will not be able to get to the paracord (or natural cordage) to chew through it.

Oh, ok that explains it, I was wondering why he used it.
    Thanks!

The other option you have are rat traps.

Here's a tutorial I made a while back on how to make a snare.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ghlight=figure

Having worked in a plastics plant for several years I was lucky enough to save alot of 1/16 ss cable.(we used it in the ovens to suport the plastic sheet) Each of these is from 12 to 16 ft long. Not sure how many I have but they fill three five gal buckets when each one is rolled up and taped so I don't end up with a tangled mess. All I need to buy for my snares is some nuts and washers. I build most of mine about 42 in in length. Have snared as big as beaver in one of these but need to use a drowning set for this size animal with this light weight cable.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

He just borrowed all of those cables. When he dies the plant can come get it all. (snort, snicker).

It's the stainless stuff. You can smoke it in your fire or use a zippo to coat it with soot to dull down the shine. after a while in the weather it gets a dull patina.
    I know what hunts you.

The cable I mentioned in post #10 has all been used and for one reason or another was removed and replaced. Due to the fact that it was used in a high temp oven (usually from 800 to 1000 degrees) it already has a dull brown patina. The only thing I do after making up the snares is soak them in an old canner with water and walnut husks over a low fire then hang em up in a tree.(do this to remove scent and take some of the shine off the new nuts and washers I use putting the snares together) The only problem I have with these snares is with some critters they get twisted up pretty bad and can only be used one time. Once they have been twisted they just don't ever slide smoothly again. Do the guys that use wire have this same problem? If I didn't have access to this cable I'd probably use wire and may have to at some point as time goes on due to cost. I do have parts of two spools of cable in the shed that I bought at trappers conventions before this cheaper sorce came along. Don't remember what I paid for them but sure that it was higher then free.

Btw Rick. This cable isn't borrowed. I went to the plant mgr and asked for them. After I told him what I wanted to use them for he said take as many as I wanted as long as I stuck to the used ones. Also mentioned that he wouldn't mind having a few snares in his pack. I still carry the permission slip signed by him to take them out the gate although I haven't taken any out for awhile now. This may be a good point for some of the members to think about. When you're at work and you see things you can use, ask. You may not always get them free but then what's the worst the boss can say? No?

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Many places issue a slip called a "scrap pass" for cast off parts and pieces.

wanted to add that I use stainless steel trolling line for snares, about forty pound rated. for rabbits, squirrels and such. Bigger animals I prefer Thompson snares.
    Last edited by randyt; 09-22-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added text

Just kidding on the borrowed, OT. I've brought home cast aways as well.

If you connect your wire to something like paracord or some other cordage then to your anchor you won't have as much twist in the wire since the rope will twist easily as the animal fights to get loose.

Great tutorial Rick! The pictures were clear and easy to understand. I did know about the figure 8 locking loop and that was what lead me to my original question b/c the 20 gauge wire I had tried to use was too stiff to make the figure 8 loop lock down (at least on my wrist, probably an animal would use more force and accomplish it ?)

Brass seems a little too pricey for me, but I'm shopping online for it today and I'll try to get the biggest roll for the best price. (It'll probably be stainless steel, and I'll darken it like Sarky says).

Thanks again!
    Last edited by kameleon; 09-25-2011 at 05:53 PM.

I found 22 gauge at walmart in the floral section. It was already painted green and believe it to be steel. I want to find a magnet to check it. I got something like over 150 ft for $2.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

That's probably floral wire. I've used it for grave arrangements. It will rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's probably floral wire. I've used it for grave arrangements. It will rust.
    My mom also uses floral wire for gave arrangments.... I may have "borrowed" it here and there for various projects. It's not very stong, or at least the stuff she uses, if you bend it back and forth just a couple of times it will break.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I saw it in two gauges, 26 and 22. I may let it sit in vinager for a little bit to patina any exposed areas.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa