Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snare wire?

I've used picture hanging wire in the past as well. Another little tip that I use which may be common knowledge. I leave a inch or so tail on the knot end. I've had this tail get tangled in the fur and become a lock of sorts.

randyt, what weight picture hanging wire do you use?
    Medium? 20 lbs or 30 -35 lbs ish?
    I have some medium weight that I've been playing around with but the larger loop wants to flop over and not hold a lasso shape. I mean, the animal would have to want to wiggle into it and I don't think that's going to happen. I was thinking about trying a heavier weight?
    I ordered this (to play around with too):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250774183798...#ht_2171wt_708
    but I didn't realize it would rust.
    I'm probably going to end up with three rolls of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...T#ht_500wt_757
    as it is stainless steel, and besides, Sarky said so

That's a heck of a price for 900 feet of stainless safety wire.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

.020 thousandths is pretty thick for snare wire....I use soft iron wire about .o11 thousandths.
    Also everyone.....keep in mind that stainless and even high carbon still, unless it anneled is really springy...tough to hold a shape.
    Seems as this stuff is safety tie wire, and is soft enough for snares.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm not sure what weight of picture wire I used. I use trolling line wire now days. I make a small loop by taking a small twig maybe 1/8 th inch in diameter. I then wrap the end of the wire around the twig two times and then take the twig and twist it several times. The twig is then broken at the double loop and the long end of the snare is put through the double loop. For rabbits the snare is made about the diameter of my hand, the bottom of the snare is held up a couple inches from the ground. I've snared coyotes, beaver and bobcat, for those guys I use thompson snares.

I have some Thompson snares as well. Those things are quality built.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.