Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Default Quick question

Is the Ozark Trail Multi-Tool worth buying? It's at Wal-mart for 10 dollars.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

Quick answer - No.

Longer answer - While I do not own an Ozark Trail brand - I have purchased quite a few "cheap" multi-tools over the years. None of them have lasted very long. None of them were very comfortable in my hand. I've been using the same Leatherman Wave for several years. While they cost more - in the long run you will spend less.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

NO!

I have been given several of these tools by well meaning people that know I am outdoors a lot. If they are still in the blister pack when i get them I take them back and trade them for .22 shells.

The pliers will tear through the flimsy handle material the first time you really clamp down on anything. The blades are not hardened and the tools are not ground properly to accomplish their functions. The can opener will not even work properly.

This is truly a case where it is better to go to the counter and point to one of the Gerber or Leatherman tools and spend a few bucks more. Gerber has several multitool choices that cost twice as much but give 10X the value.

The Wall mart tool is the one carried by the famous "outdoor expert" that was forced to rip off his own arm a couple of years back. His Walmart multitooll was not up to the job.

If you swing over to their fishing department they have a little multi-tool under the brand name Renagade , hanging with the fly-fishing clippers, that I have found much better than their large tool. Still, you can not force it to do what a high quality tool will accomplish.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-19-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

For $30 at walmart, buy the Gerber or Leatherman ones.

As kyratshooter said, the pliers suck, the can opener doesn't work (it is in the wrong spot) and the knife is terrible at being a knife.
    Last edited by finallyME; 09-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

+1 to all the comments.

I have two leatherman waves and am very pleased with them. I have one on my belt most of the time and frequently use it. It may be a bit pricy if you have never used one but I would prefer to buy one leather man then buy a cheeper tool and replace it several times. I've had mine years.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

It's common to think,.... "a cheap one is better than nothing", should be the other way around, "nothing is better than a cheap one".
    There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap.

If you are going to have to depend on it is a tight situation, would you what a questionable tool?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Remember!

You get what you pay for!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hahaha! didn't expect I'd get such a strong response. Where else can I get a Gerber or Leatherman? Our Walmart doesn't carry either brands and I don't like to buy things on the internet.

I hate when things like that happen, just because someone survived, the media calls them a "survival expert" when usually they got themselves into a life or death situation because of their sloppiness.

Try a good hardware store.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I got a gerber that I have used for the past six years and love it. I broke the knife one (that was my fault, not the tools) and order the part from gerber. Once I replaced it, it was back in action and no further issues. Worth the money in my opinion.

I know you can find gerber at bass pro, cabelas, and dick's sporting goods. Most other sporting goods stores will have them as well as many real hardware stores. I have even seen them at a few auto parts stores.

i agree with sarge, you get what you pay for, but if its all you can afford, it will do till you can afford a good one, i have a cheap one i use for fishing only, and it hasnt failed me, but thats all.

Some Home Depot's carry them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ok, I've got a bass-pro near me, I'll see which brand I like more. While I'm there, Is there a relatively cheap, I mean "inexpensive", bushcraft knife I should get.
    I prefer high-carbon steel and no serrations.And full-tang of course...
    Last edited by mouse111111; 09-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Not at Bass Pro.

http://www.safezonellc.com/511.html
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Moras are the best quality for price carbon knife I have used but aren't full tang. I've busted a few being aggressive with them. Green River and Old Hickory knives are inexpensive and what you listed you are looking for. I have reground a couple dozen Old Hick knives into smaller more useful shapes. My bushcraft blades are mostly made from tool steels. A2, O1, D2. They tend to be stonger in my opinion. Helle, Enzo, Blind Horse, Koster, Bark River, Etc. They start at a little under a hundred and go up to $200+.
    The more you know, the less you carry. I need a wheelbarrow full of gear....

i own a few blind horse knives and im not at all dissappointed in them, i dropped 150.00 for one and about 230.00 for the other, their sheaths are just as good as the knife and to thats a very important part of the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by southern woods View Post
    Moras are the best quality for price carbon knife I have used but aren't full tang. I've busted a few being aggressive with them. Green River and Old Hickory knives are inexpensive and what you listed you are looking for. I have reground a couple dozen Old Hick knives into smaller more useful shapes. My bushcraft blades are mostly made from tool steels. A2, O1, D2. They tend to be stonger in my opinion. Helle, Enzo, Blind Horse, Koster, Bark River, Etc. They start at a little under a hundred and go up to $200+.
    You can buy a Helle blade only and stick your own handle on it and make your own sheath. The blades are usually less than $20. I like Helle blades more than Mora. I am of Norwegian decent after all.

Bought my leatherman at a army surplus store. Have had it for years now with no problems. Wish it was that way with some of the other things I have bought over that time. As far as knives I carry a old hickory butcher on one hip and a gerber gater on the other. A muskrat skinner in my pocket(never go out the door without it) and a #711 mora in my bag. Each has a purpose but if I had to cut back I'd keep the OH and the muskrat skinner.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 09-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I've been using a kitchen knife but I want something that would take splitting logs if I had to, Are the Moras that durable?