Thread: sumac berries

Default sumac berries

they are red nutritious and delicious, and theyll be ripe soon. anybody else forage these interesting berries? i make a drink with them and a spice. how bout you?sumac0901.jpgsumac staghorn.jpg

Can you give me more info about the drink you make (i.e. do they have to be boiled)? I have noticed that some of the trees by me do not have the berries. Are there different varieties?

hyq42 there are several varieties if it has the red berries there edible if it has white berries its poison. just soak the whole pod in luke warm water overnight. then strain add sugar to taste and chill in frig or drink right away.

Here's a link that has a couple of more links in it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=sumac
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just ID some Smooth Sumac and was not sure if I had Staghorn Sumac or not. After doing some more research I learned that the Staghorn's stem where the berry cluster forms has a hairiness to it, whereas the Smooth Sumac does not. Staghorn produces a larger, more tightly clustered berry formation as well.

Made some tea with it. Very tasty. Will be going back to monitor them and harvest enough to make a gallon. I ddid a little YouTube vid showing the plant, the berries and added some commentary form Peterson's field guide if anyone wants to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater Bill View Post
    I just ID some Smooth Sumac and was not sure if I had Staghorn Sumac or not. After doing some more research I learned that the Staghorn's stem where the berry cluster forms has a hairiness to it, whereas the Smooth Sumac does not. Staghorn produces a larger, more tightly clustered berry formation as well.

Made some tea with it. Very tasty. Will be going back to monitor them and harvest enough to make a gallon. I ddid a little YouTube vid showing the plant, the berries and added some commentary form Peterson's field guide if anyone wants to see it.
    I'd LOVE to see the video! Hoping I can still find some around me. I'm in central Indiana. East Indianapolis. I'm wanting it to dehydrate and use as a spice since we can't have citrus! )
    Thanks!!
    Kristy

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i make tea with the berries then i roast them over a fire and grind them up into a powder. the seeds have a great toasty flavor. they make a good survival food because the seeds cling onto the bush until late winter. easy to find in deep snow........
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    i make tea with the berries then i roast them over a fire and grind them up into a powder. the seeds have a great toasty flavor. they make a good survival food because the seeds cling onto the bush until late winter. easy to find in deep snow........
    Good to know, and remember.
    "Where is there a boy to whom the call of the wild and the open road does not appeal?" -Robert Baden-Powell

"A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room." -Robert Baden-Powell

O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
    I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. -Psalm 104:24,33

I like soaking them in cold water and making a lemonade like drink...if yo make a tea, be sure not to boil too long or with stems. The tannins will give it a very bitter astringent quality.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Introduced some Beekeeper friends to this sour treat on Friday. Good Stuff!

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    I like soaking them in cold water and making a lemonade like drink...if yo make a tea, be sure not to boil too long or with stems. The tannins will give it a very bitter astringent quality.
    thats right they will(the stems) turn acrid. the juice and the seed are good food though. the smooth sumac has larger seeds than the staghorn sumac. but the smooth sumac has more fuzz covering the seed. so i tend to prefer the staghorn seed for consumption.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

What's the easiest way to get them off the stem if I'm wanting to dehydrate and grind into powder to use as spice? I've read you can hang them to dry as well. (I have an excalibur dehydrator)

Isn't the sumac tree, the stinky tree?