Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Kit Start

Let us know what you end up with,Sparky.
    I looked into some MOLLE shoulder straps on ebay.They cost almost as much as the pack cost me.But,if it makes a big difference on how the load feels,then I'll be looking to upgrade for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Rick, the material the pack is made of is roughly 3/16" thick rugged cotton canvas, and the weight I plan to secure from the bottom is about 4 or 5 pounds at most. Do you still think the canvas is not rigged enough to support this? Also one reason I would like to avoid the setup you showed is because it would cover the zipper on my pack and I would not be able to access the content of my pack without removing the bedroll.

So far my gear list includes the following:

Fire Steel
    Bic Lighter
    Petroleum Jelly
    Cotton Balls
    2- 1 Quart Canteens (one on my belt the other in my pack)
    also one of the canteen has a stainless steel cup like a military canteen cup, exept it is made to fit the bottom of the cylidrical bottle
    10x12 Tarp
    Tent Stakes Bungee Cord
    Tooth Brush
    Tooth Paste
    Bar of Soap
    Toilet Paper
    Enough packs of Ramen Noodles
    Paracord
    Multi-Tool

There was something else I was planning on adding to the list, but it eludes my memory.
    I see you have a multi tool, which are nice, but think about taking a good, stout, fixed blade knife. One that you can chop small branches with if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
    I see you have a multi tool, which are nice, but think about taking a good, stout, fixed blade knife. One that you can chop small branches with if need be.
    I completely agree with you, I would much rather have a fix blade over my multi tool when it come to processing material. But I live on a college campus and I can have knife, it's just the blade can't be reasonably longer than the width of my hand. I have been on the look out for a reasonably priced fix blade that fit's this criteria, but for now I just got my trusty multi tool.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I completely agree with you, I would much rather have a fix blade over my multi tool when it come to processing material. But I live on a college campus and I can have knife, it's just the blade can't be reasonably longer than the width of my hand. I have been on the look out for a reasonably priced fix blade that fit's this criteria, but for now I just got my trusty multi tool.

Amazing, that we are so scared of inanimate objects. How sad. When you do go looking for some, the Gerber LMF is a nice knife. I have had one for a couple years, and they work great. I have chopped down limbs, etc with it, and it has held up extremely well. It has a good balance that fits my hand well. I think they go for around $80ish. I got mine a little cheaper, at the PX on the AFB near by.
    I have also heard good things about the Bear Grylls Gerber.. I know lots of folks(and I'm one of them) don't necessarily endorse everything Bear does, but the knife is reasonably priced, made by Gerber(which I trust), and is fairly stout. If you can live with his signature on it, I'd say go for it. It comes with a flint & steel as well, I think.

I finally have some time to give you guys a little update on the kit I have been attempting to put together. I took you guys advice a few weeks ago and ordered a large alice pack off eBay for $22. Sorry for the poor picture quality my phones camera isn't very good.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I made a little modification to it just a little while ago, I made a paracord cobra-stitch handle with a little inspiration from one I saw a picture of a while back. I don't remember if I saw that on here or somewhere else, but I guess it is actually a king cobra since I did one cobra stitch over the first.

The thing on top is my Wenzel self-inflating sleeping pad, inside there is a 20 degree sleeping bag, 10x12 tarp, and a crud load of other smaller things.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 11-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Nice mods. Nice pack.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's the exact set up I have on my pack. You are gonna love those pads and that belt. They are hands down tons better than the original ALICE. I like the handle mod, too. I had never thought of that but I'll be adding it tomorrow. Yeah, it's a King Cobra. Just get the chest strap adjusted so it doesn't choke you.

Very nice job!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick - the pads are very comfortable, the pack weighs about 45 or 50 pounds right now without food or water and I can barely even feel it on my back. I ended up redoing my first attempt at the handle, I had just finished the last cobra stitch and was trying it out when the base layer the weave is built upon broke because of where I had placed the spot where the paracord was melted together. I started to rig it to work because I was mad that I just got it done and then it broke. I had to stop myself and say if it is worth doing it is worth doing right. I am glad I redid it too, it looks better than the first try and is a lot stronger. I think there is about 15-20' of paracord in it.
    I think I may have caught the paracord bug that has been going around, since I got my first roll of paracord a few weeks ago I have made two bracelets, a zipper pull for my school pack, and now this.... a rock sling is soon to be in progress....
    Thomas Paine

Rick, those aren't MOLLE pads, those are upgraded ALICE pads. They will be more comfortable than the original ALICE pads though.

45-50 lbs....ouch. I usually can't feel the weight until I am about 5 or 6 miles down the road, but then I really feel it. Of course, by day 3, you feel pretty good.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well, all I can tell you is the pads I ordered were advertised as Molle pads and I had to modify the frame for them to fit. They look just like the ones he has on his pack. His may be Alice, I don't know. Either way, I'm pretty danged happy with mine. I've got some stuff going on this morning but hope to get to the pack handle this afternoon. I'll post some pics of mine when I get done. Today or tomorrow for sure. I want that handle!!!!! That's got to be handy as a pocket on a shirt. I'm forever grabbing the frame to sit it down or pick it up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

From what I remember, ALICE has two designations, LC1 and LC2. LC1 was the original equipment (well actually the second iteration, the first being made from cotton and the second from nylon). LC2 came out more recently, before MOLLE. MOLLE shoulder straps are not individual, they are attached to a back pad panel. You attach the back panel to the frame. MOLLE shoulder straps also have load lifters. Notice his shoulder straps are individual, attach to the top bar, and don't have load lifters. The quick release is also not a MOLLE quick release. Those are LC2 shoulder straps. The hip belt is also not a MOLLE belt. It only has one big strap in the back to attach to the frame, and it uses the old OD green 2" strap with a red stripe. LC2 again.

Ya, they are upgraded Alice pads, or at least that is what the guy that sold it to me said. Looking forward to seeing your handle Rick, I am happy with how mine turned out.
    Thomas Paine

I still need to find A piece of foam to put on the frame like I have seen some people due to make the pack even more cumfy and also so when they start to make camp, they can use the pad to kneel on for fire starting or shelter setup if it the ground is damp so you don't end up with wet knees. Do Home Depot or Menards have the foam like I am thinking of, I don't really know how to describe it in words but it is really rubbery and about 3/4 of an inch thick?

FM - It is around 45 - 50 lbs probably less though this is just my guesstimation, thinkin bout it now it is probably 40 at most minus food and water....
    Thomas Paine

One of the advantages of the Alice frame is you get air circulation across your back. If you stuff if full of foam it's going to be hot and your back will sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    One of the advantages of the Alice frame is you get air circulation across your back. If you stuff if full of foam it's going to be hot and your back will sweat.
    I didn't think about that, it is something I have seen other people show online. Anybody got anymore alice tips or mod ideas?
    Thomas Paine

I didn't think about that, it is something I have seen other people show online. Anybody got anymore alice tips or mod ideas?
    You can get almost anything you want at her restaurant.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, I put a handle on both my Alice packs so I'll show you how I did it minus a tutorial on weaving the paracord, which you can find anywhere online. The first one is a medium Alice and serves as my master trauma kit. Since it's a medium it has the metal shoulder strap keepers on the pack. I removed one of the straps and changed one so you can see everything a little clearer (I hope).

I used 20 feet of paracord and had roughly a foot left over. That is really going to depend on the size of handle you want. I made the handle a bit smaller on my large pack and had about 18 inches left over.

Step 1 is to thread the paracord through the pack keeper then through the frame keeper. Bring the paracord back around and insert it through the pack keeper and frame keeper again. This will give you a double loop around the frame. Make certain the ends of your paracord are even.

Allow enough paracord on both sides of the frame to form the handle then slide each end through the opposite frame keeper and pack keeper threading it from opposite directions.

(the strap on the right actually goes through the pack keeper. I just moved it for the sake of the picture)

Adjust the length of your handle by pulling on the paracord on the left side of the picture. If you want a longer handle pull up on the handle. If you want a smaller handle pull on the ends of the paracord.

Here's what it looks like with the straps assembled as they should be.

Then just start weaving the cord. I made a King Cobra stitch as Sparky did on his. It makes a larger handle and feels pretty comfortable. Here's the finished handle.

And here's a shot of the pack for FinallyMe so you can see my shoulder straps.

Since the large Alice doesn't have the pack keeper the only thing you have to worry about is the frame keeper. Make the handle the same way just looping it through the frame keeper. Here's a shot of both of them. The large Alice is on the left and the medium is on the right. It looks backwards but the large Alice is almost empty and the medium is stuffed full.

It took me about an hour to make the handle for the medium pack because I messed with the straps for the pictures. The large Alice took about 20 minutes.

If you have any questions just ask. Thanks Sparky for the inspiration!!! They are the berries!!!!!!!!!!!

Great handles. So Rick, can you see the difference between your MOLLE shoulder straps and Sparky's LC2 ALICE shoulder straps? Also, the torso adjustments on your packs look really short.

Yeah, once I went back and looked at his, after you posted, I could see the difference. The medium is set up for my wife. The large is mine but it's just slid down. It's the way it's laying.

Guess I gonna have to give it a try as well, one of my pet peaves is no good way to hang the pack in camp or for storage. keep falling over.

Thanks guys! Sparky and Rick.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27