Thread: Corporal dakota l. Meyer, usmc

Default Corporal dakota l. Meyer, usmc

Another living recipient of our nations highest military honor. The presentation is scheduled for today.He is symbolic of this "greatest generation".

[
    CENTER]
    Medal of Honor Citation"

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

CORPORAL DAKOTA L. MEYER
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

For service as set forth in the following

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the repeated risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a member of Marine Embedded Training Team 2-8, Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-7, in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on 8 September 2009. When the forward element of his combat team began to be hit by intense fire from roughly 50 Taliban insurgents dug-in and concealed on the slopes above Ganjgal village, Corporal Meyer mounted a gun-truck, enlisted a fellow Marine to drive, and raced to attack the ambushers and aid the trapped Marines and Afghan soldiers. During a six hour fire fight, Corporal Meyer single-handedly turned the tide of the battle, saved 36 Marines and soldiers and recovered the bodies of his fallen brothers. Four separate times he fought the kilometer up into the heart of a deadly U-shaped ambush. During the fight he killed at least eight Taliban, personally evacuated 12 friendly wounded, and provided cover for another 24 Marines and soldiers to escape likely death at the hands of a numerically superior and determined foe. On his first foray his lone vehicle drew machine gun, mortar, rocket grenade and small arms fire while he rescued five wounded soldiers. His second attack disrupted the enemy’s ambush and he evacuated four more wounded Marines. Switching to another gun-truck because his was too damaged they again sped in for a third time, and as turret gunner killed several Taliban attackers at point blank range and suppressed enemy fire so 24 Marines and soldiers could break-out. Despite being wounded, he made a fourth attack with three others to search for missing team members. Nearly surrounded and under heavy fire he dismounted the vehicle and searched house to house to recover the bodies of his fallen team members. By his extraordinary heroism, presence of mind amidst chaos and death, and unselfish devotion to his comrades in the face of great danger, Corporal Meyer reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I'm glad men like him are on our side. Not to mention the bravery of his driver.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Its too bad the regular media missed this , they were all ablaze over the Kim Khardashian wedding , and who Justin bieber was dating , they also were sucking up to Obamas "just sign the bill , trust me , no one has read it not even me, we'll read it after its law!"
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I was listening to the radio between appointments today. They played a short clip of a reporter interviewing Corporal Meyer. It went something like.....

How does it feel to be a hero?
    I'm no hero.
    You certainly are.
    If this is what if feels like to be a hero you can have it.

Well done Marine!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just watched the CNN coverage of the presentation. Gives a person goose bumps what this young man did!! He is a humble and deserving man
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

It's guys like this that give me hope for our country. God Bless the USA and God Bless this Marine!

Quote Originally Posted by Pal
    He is a humble and deserving man
    It seems like they all are. All the recipients disavow any acts of bravery but are willing to act as the temporary keeper of the medal for all those they served with. True patriots must be tempered in a very special kiln to harden them up. Very special.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It seems like they all are. All the recipients disavow any acts of bravery but are willing to act as the temporary keeper of the medal for all those they served with. True patriots must be tempered in a very special kiln to harden them up. Very special.
    How true! When I was in the Navy, the ship's 20th year commission anniversary was held at the hometown of the Marine it was named after. He died at Wake Island and there were a few MOH receipiants from Wake Island at the celebration. I had the privilege to talk to one for about 20 minutes. He mentioned every person that was at Wake Island except himself. He was completely filled with pride, not of himself, but of those he fought beside. Still to this day, I don't believe I have ever met a finer man.

To all those who are serving and have served to make the United States free and safe, I salute you. God Bless you all and your families.

It is good to know that we still have men like this. It gives me hope for the future.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Semper If. Marine
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 09-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

One badass Jarhead right there.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I heard something about a recruter telling him he wouldn't make a good soldier, I bet he's eating his words right now! Definately a hero!!!!!!!!

Not to take anything away from this young man , but all of our boys (and girls) in harms way are doing an outstanding job and deserve more than what they are getting!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

Semper Fi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!