Thread: An Accurate SKS

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default An Accurate SKS

I am not intending this to be a "My gun is better than your gun" thread. Neither am I interested in being told to save a little more money and get an AR.

I want to know if anyone here has actually worked over an SKS for max accuracy? Not 500yard to 1000 yard accuracy, just a nice 2" group at 100 that still holds 6"@ 300.

I have a friend that owns a Seko in 7.62x39 and it is capable of 1moa with his handloads.

I am simply wondering if the sloppy chamber and slapped together fit of the action/stock along with the sad trigger and built in huge tolerances can be overcome.

I really wish I had wondered this 20 years ago when I was selling them for $89.95.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They can be accurized a little. The key is finding a reasonably accurate one as a base. Glass bedding the action, tightening up the piston and gas system and taking away all soft barrel contacts.

I saw one 15 yrs ago in Tx where a guy had only one thing contacting the barrel other than the gas system, a simple glass marble supported the barrel. He was getting 1 1/2"-2" groups at 100m.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I happen to have a chicom SKS with the red fiberglass stock that shoots 1 1/2" groups with Wolff SP all day long. I keep it down at my folks place in the lesser 48 and I'm thinking of bringing it up here as it never fails and has put more meat on our table than anything else to date. I used it in Colorado a bunch when we lived there and took many mule deer, pronghorn and several elk with it, best hundred bucks I ever spent!
    Now to your question... winter has it right. You either get a good one or you don't in my opinion, taking a pig and trying to get it to shoot good may be a bit counterproductive with the finances if you ask me. Keep it clean and try various rounds through it and see what it likes, some folks have better luck putting on an aftermarket peep sight and can cloase the groups up a bit. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I've got a chicom paratrooper model that take AK mags. The barrel is shorter than a standard SKS and will shoot close to 1 moa with my handloads.
    I know what hunts you.

i would stay away from Century imports ! The sks is an all around performer , Ive thought of getting one as well , I have an AK and love it !
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I did try one of those reciever scope mounts mine, stock Yugo, shoots pretty well just as it is, and doesn't seem to get out of adjustment from carring it around...as some suggest with the reciever mount.

I guess I would be intersted to hear what y'all come up with as well...Never really gave it too much thought, as my idea of extended high cap magazines were invented to overcome lack of moa accuracy....point it and keep pulling the trigger......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Stone tough and reliable but an SKS is not known for it's great accuracy. Their sloppy fit that makes them run so well is what kills accuracy. You can get it down to respectable groups with some work. Like said before by others, you should start out with a semi accurate one to begin with and have as little as possible touching the barrel. Tightening the slop is outside of my gunsmithing skills so maybe somebody else could go further in depth. Chrome lined barrels are not the best place to start for a super accurate rifle either but you should be able to reach about 2+" @ 100 yrds chrome line or not. It's a good thing you handload so you can tweek a load for your particular rifle. The 7.62x39 is capable of GREAT accuracy. I used to have a stainless and synthetic Ruger M77 that now belongs to a friend that would shoot 3/4" or better with 123 gr Hornady factory stuff. I can still kick myself for letting it go! Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by glockcop; 09-15-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Before I forget. My gun is better than your gun.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Before I forget. My gun is better than your gun.
    For some reason I had the funny feeling, actually the certain knowledge, it would be you!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm nothing if not predictable. There is a certain...shall we say...reassurance when you know exactly what the man next to you will do no matter the situation. And, you're welcome.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey! GC, I got my 7.62x39 Ruger M-77 from a friend who is also kicking himself for selling it to me. The thing he didn't like about it was no iron sights. It doesn't bother me in the least. Would have no problems using it for whitetails.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Hey! GC, I got my 7.62x39 Ruger M-77 from a friend who is also kicking himself for selling it to me. The thing he didn't like about it was no iron sights. It doesn't bother me in the least. Would have no problems using it for whitetails.
    Totally agree about the 7.62x39 being deadly on white tails. I have taken a couple of feral hogs (big 'uns too) with it when it was mine. Can you believe I sold it to help fund a new outboard? I still have the outboard but it doesn't kill any deer or hogs for me . The upside is that outboard brings me to some fine hunting (and fishing) areas, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

You could always use the outboard to grind meat for sausage.
    I know what hunts you.