Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelters for survival?

Default Shelters for survival?

I was wondering if anyone practices shelter building for unexpected stays in the woods? Day hikes that turn into an over night trip. Storms, injury, getting lost... All of these are in the back of my mind when out and about off trail.

Are there any members that practice making them so when the need arises it's already natural to them?

Blog Entries
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Link didn't work for me. I believe you're trying to direct me to the search button?

I tried that first but all I found were a bunch of irrelevant threads. I typed "shelter" in the search bar and here's what the site produced.

Gems from the gutter

Matches vs lighter & why do you prefer the method

Yetti wanting to go home

Daddy's BOV

Javelins/atlatl

Gas masks

Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber

How survival turns deadly- it's not a game

Utah boy found alive and well

Joke of the day (I'm really confused with this one)

and on and on......
    5 pages of results with the most relevant first. 25 results per page. Page #1 had no threads with the word shelter in them.

Are all the search results like that?

Anyway, that's why I asked live people for assistance.
    Last edited by southern woods; 08-18-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction

I don't practice building shelters anymore per se. I built several varieties over the years, and am comfortable with my ability to build a passable expedient shelter if needed. I do, however include materials in my pack for assisting me (poncho or trash bags) when I am on a hike in remote or unfamiliar areas.

Edit: Yeah, sometimes the search function is a little less than pretty good.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-18-2011 at 05:37 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't practice building shelters anymore per se. I built several varieties over the years, and am comfortable with my ability to build a passable expedient shelter if needed. I do, however include materials in my pack for assisting me (poncho or trash bags) when I am on a hike in remote or unfamiliar areas.

Edit: Yeah, sometimes the search function is a little less than pretty good.
    Thanks for answering.

I have made quite a few different shelters in practice and in need. A sudden shower when it's an otherwise pretty fall day can make a body hunt for dry ground. Mostly tarp shelters. I keep a 5'x7' silnylon tarp in my pack. Sometimes a GI poncho. I want to get comfortable with debris huts and lean-to's made from all natural materials. I've practiced a bit on my own. There is only so much I can learn from survival manuals and books. I can try try again until experience teaches me better ways or I can ask those that have done it themselves.

I came here hoping to find such individuals willing to share what they have learned.
    The more you know, the less you carry. I need a wheelbarrow full of gear....

Same as Crash. I've done it. I'm comfortable that I can find or build shelter so I don't do it much anymore.

If you have trouble with the Search feature then try the same search using different wording. For example: If you are searching for Firesteels you might try, firesteels, mishmetal, ferrocerium. Usually, that will bring back some different results. For shelter building you can try shelter, debris hut, wikiup, etc. Also remember that three letter words and smaller aren't allowed in the search. The search feature in vBulletin is sadly not the best.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've made a few types of shelters. I've never tried to stay in one yet. This fall when the weather is more palatable, I plan on staying one. I have the location picked but not the type of shelter.

On a side note: my daughter and I are planning a camp out using the hammock and tarp. Not really a natural shelter but I've always been curious on how this would work. The light weight seems appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by southern woods View Post
    ........................I came here hoping to find such individuals willing to share what they have learned.
    It sounds as though you may have a specific question regarding shelter building other than the one you posed (does anybody practice). If so, please ask away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I practice every so often. Does that answer your question?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I practice every so often. Does that answer your question?
    Yes, thank you.

Would you have any helpful ideas for shelter building with all natural materials and limited tools? I mean a swiss army knife with a saw and 4" bladed belt knife carried for all around chores. I usually don't have an axe or machete when out for the day. (I will take one when staying over night or longer. But I always have shelter with me then also.)

Mostly I depend on clothing for shelter.
    I do build debris huts, more as hunting blind than shelter, but with a small tarp, or poncho, garbage bags, could be a comfortable shelter, as rain, wind, cold protection applies even if not spending the night.

I have been using a camo hunting umbrella, as was posted awhile back by a member that no longer posts, but I was impressed at how easy a wind break could be set up, add a poncho or a tarp and instant "shelter".

I don't use it over my head, but since one side is flat, sets on the ground nicely, to act as a blind/shelter.
    Light weight, east to carry folded up, and of course it could be used to walk in the rain as well.

I carry a poncho, but if you are in a sitting/prone position, your legs get wet (contractor bags work well for this).
    No pics as of yet, still getting used to the idea of a camera carry at all times......so people believe me.....LOL

I do have a "basic silhouette breaking blind" pic.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tarp around the back side fire in front.....good for some pretty cold weather.
    Hope that helps.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You don't need any tools for a debris hut. Here's a nice "how to".

http://www.i4at.org/lib2/debris.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quick and dirty, I build a debris hut. If I want something more substantial I build a lean-to or a if I'm around a pine thicket , a living wickiup.
    I know what hunts you.

Debris huts leak....I don't care what you do, they leak, but will block the wind, and some of the rain or snow.
    I have hunkered down under a big pine, in the dry spot next to the trunk with a little trimming.

A lot of what you do depend on the terrain, time of year, and weather....and how much work and effort you want to put into it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Building the type of shelter you are asking about is something I'd never do. I carry 550 cord, a lightweight tarp, Two walking staffs, about 4 or so 4 mil. 55 gallon construction grade trash bags, and duct tape. With these items I can erect one of several types of emergency shelters in very little time while conserving energy. It's also easier on the wilderness as I won't be destroying any natural resources. You'd of gotten a lot more respones if you'd of posted an intro giving people an idea of your age, experience level, geographical area of interest, and so forth.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My experiences have been the same as Hunter63. I have piled a foot of duff on top of a shelter and had water drip through.

I keep two contractors 4mil trash bags in my pack and a good length of duct tape. You can split the bags down the side and tape them together and have an 8x10 waterproof roof to pile the dabris on top and hold it down/keep it from blowing in the wind.

A space blanket will do the same only it is way lighter and less strong.

Pick you spot carefully. Half of the comfort level wil be detirmined by the spot you pick, not the shelter you build.

I have found that in most emergency situations I am more comfortable picking a sheltered spot sitting up, leaning against a tree with a small fire nearby. You are not going to get a full night of laydown and be comfortable sleep anyway. You will just lose all your body heat warming up the ground and you have to tend the fire anyway. Why not lean against a tree, take cat naps, feed the fire with the free hand and hold the tarp wrapped around you with the other.

Just pretend you are sitting in the recliner watching the 6 oclock news and you will be out like a light!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I try and teach my scouts to build shelters with no tools. If you can do it with no tools, then you can do it with some. About every other year or so we take the scouts out to a spot to have them build their own. I usually build one as well (with my young son helping) to show them how much stuff they need to pile on top. Then the scouts spend the night in it. It hasn't rained on us yet, so I really don't know how water proof they are, but I am sure they leak no matter how much put on top.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Building the type of shelter you are asking about is something I'd never do. I carry 550 cord, a lightweight tarp, Two walking staffs, about 4 or so 4 mil. 55 gallon construction grade trash bags, and duct tape. With these items I can erect one of several types of emergency shelters in very little time while conserving energy. It's also easier on the wilderness as I won't be destroying any natural resources. You'd of gotten a lot more respones if you'd of posted an intro giving people an idea of your age, experience level, geographical area of interest, and so forth.
    I don't usually share alot with strangers as a rule. I read the forum rules before posting. I also searched alot of previous threads and your posts after reading the above. There seems to be a great big thing I don't want to be in the middle of in my first few posts. I have seen the rule then again I've dozens of posts saying to go do an intro. I am confused as to what to do. Follow the rules and be on the bad side of the mods?

I really don't need specifics to any area and I shared my experience with shelters. My geographical area is my user name. I was hoping that if someone knew that a certain tree was easier to bow for a roof they'd share. Maybe someone knows which plants serve well as a roof for a lean-to?

I'd really like to get to know the members better and with time I'll know who's trustworthy of more personal details. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by southern woods View Post
    I don't usually share alot with strangers as a rule. I read the forum rules before posting. I also searched alot of previous threads and your posts after reading the above. There seems to be a great big thing I don't want to be in the middle of in my first few posts. I have seen the rule then again I've dozens of posts saying to go do an intro. I am confused as to what to do. Follow the rules and be on the bad side of the mods?

I really don't need specifics to any area and I shared my experience with shelters. My geographical area is my user name. I was hoping that if someone knew that a certain tree was easier to bow for a roof they'd share. Maybe someone knows which plants serve well as a roof for a lean-to?

I'd really like to get to know the members better and with time I'll know who's trustworthy of more personal details. If I'm wrong please let me know.
    Well the "Southern Woods" still covers a lot of terrain, However if you have palmettos then you have some of the best waterproof SHINGLE material that we can find in the US. For this a Lean-to or A-frame type shelter is probably best. If you have no string/cordage for lashing you can use a dovetail to join the framework, or you can use some pliable vines. Just start at the bottom when you start laying palmettos for your shingle so the next layer above is on top of the one below....same as the shingles on a house. Then continue as you would with a debris hut. Hope this helps.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I don't think you're making it to anybody's bad side. Not mine anyway. If your southern woods are like my southern woods. palm fronds make an excellent roof on an expedient shelter. Palmetto, date palm, cabbage palm, etc. They all work. Layer them like you would shingles (I have used at least three individual layers). I have found that both vertical and horizontal support structures beneath them work great. Weaving the long stalks holds them securely. Trim off any stalk that stick out about your ridge poll or your frame, as they will "direct" any water into the shelter.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel