Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Storage ,Planning etc, but the old lady doesnt get it?

Default Food Storage ,Planning etc, but the old lady doesnt get it?

My wife doesnt seem to grasp the concept of food storage , even if I were to explain the advantages of having supplies for natural emergencies (we live in tornado alley) , I dont know how to get her to understand. I am asking the community for help here!

I dont intend to stop saving or buying bulk , I will be ready no matter what , but a little ideas would be nice, thanks in advance!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

You probably never will. I have the same problem with my kids.

If your house is worth 100,000 you don't buy 50,000 worth of insurance because you think just the roof will be damaged. You ensure it to 100,000 because it could be razed to the ground. You prepare for the worst then anything that comes along will be covered. Same with auto insurance. But when it comes to insuring our lives and our family's lives folks think that enough food to get from payday to payday is just fine. They are insuring to the least case scenario. They protect their property but not their life. Doesn't make much sense to me.

That's how I try to explain it anyway.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Instead of MRE's and ready meals...Try stocking beans, rice, etc. Keep it in buckets, mylar bags, tape the lids...she'll leave it alone. Keep it in a different place than "Her who wears pants pantry". Not a problem for me I wear bigger pants!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

If your house is worth 100,000 you don't buy 50,000 worth of insurance because you think just the roof will be damaged. You ensure it to 100,000 because it could be razed to the ground.
    At which point the folks in this house would say, "And there went all your food storage too!" and wander off shaking their heads.

Nope. Nope. I've read back over this and nowhere did it ask for LOWKEY'S INPUT! No where I tell ya! Why I outta......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

It's very difficult to change a persons mind on this type of thing Sf. It often takes a situation to occur to give a wake-up call. It did with me. I had a small siege cupboard until a few years ago when I was snowed in for 3 weeks. Things got dire and I ran out of bread and Milk... milk! Black tea ain't good! We English run on tea... I almost expired. Afer that, I found this place and I now have a darn sight more than a couple weeks worth of supplies and equipment.
    If I were you, I'd prep anyway. Then if the worst happens and Mrs Sf has a panic attack through lack of supplies, you can swoop in and save the day!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

My wife was always sort of onboard, or at least she humored me. The images and stories from some of the storm ravaged areas, the attacks on 9/11, and the nightly news has helped to shape her way of thinking to the point where she now not only humors me, but participates fully.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

SF, you do what you think is right and let the missus come around. She will. They all do...eventually.
    In our home I do 100% prepping, learning on the subject and implementing. 100%! Mr. B is very appreciative and supportive but doesn't do squat. Doesn't stand in my way either; doesn't kvetch about $$$ spent and doesn't think I'm crazy. That's good enough for me. He does other things right that are equally important to our survival--a division of labor is how it ended up being. So...as long as things are being accomplished, I'll choose to look at the bright side.

Thank you all , I appreciate the comments , I also belive like many of you the best way to handle this is to continue prepping and if and when something happens we will be at least able to sustain ourselves , she will be happy that we have food , Im not so much worried about water, I live on a lake and supplying water wont be difficult (it will need to be boiled )

Quick question on water , if I have a 10 gallon bucket than can be sealed , do I need to boil all the water first and put it into a different container , or does it matter if it just sits as collected? The reason I ask this is because the nasty little critters can continue to live in that container; if its just sitting there? Also how am I suppose to clean to reuse?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Try setting up a mock disaster. Tape the cupboards closed simulating empty cupboards and any thing else that might be a loss. hide her creditcards and cash so she can't cheat. Then live off of your stash for a day or two.
    As to water, you're going to need way more than 10 gallons. But a little unscented bleach should kill the nasties.
    I know what hunts you.

Hehehe. Just got a call from Mrs. Crash. "Our coffee is on sale - I'm loading up". This coming from a person that once questioned why (before she was completely on board) as to why I was buying so much coffee. We have a lot on hand, but the spike in prices made a "stock up on coffee" believer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Please don't assume your lake is a viable means of retrieving water. It may be off limits for a variety of reasons. Volcanic fallout, radiation, chemical exposure, fecal contamination, algae blooms and extreme drought are just a few of the problems the lake could face. I also live on a large lake but I've assumed it's off limits for the sake of planning. If it's usable then all the better.

You need to plan on one gallon per person per day for drinking, hygiene and cooking. That's not a lot but it will keep you alive. More is needed if the weather is very cold or hot.

Re: Your question can they live. Yes, they can. The cyst for Ghiardia, for example, can exist for weeks or months. In the cyst stage they are pretty hardy little organisms.

If you can and must use the lake water then filter it through a cloth to strain out any extraneous junk like leaf parts then, as Sarky said, add some PLAIN Clorox or Sodium Hypochlorite to the container. Boiling, of course, is the best method but eight (8) drops of bleach to one (1) gallon of clear water(2 drops per quart), sixteen (16) drops to cloudy water. If you are using a container with a lid then after adding the clorox, put the lid on loosely and shake the container. You want some of the treated water to flow around the threads of the cap and container otherwise you can still become infected. Tighten the lid and wait for 30 minutes. You should have a slight chlorine smell to the water. If it doesn't then treat it again and wait 15 more minutes. Finally, re-oxygenate the container by giving it a good shake. This will help make the water taste better. You can also add some drink mix to the water such as Tang but do so AFTER the water has been treated.

If you boil or chemically treat then the container should be usable with no fears.

If you don't have an eyedropper handy during your next disaster then remember that 8 drops = 1/8 teaspoon. 8=1/8. Easy. You can also using something reasonably clean like a toothpick or other small item to transfer the drops one at a time if necessary.

I didnt mean to say just 10 gallons was just using that as an example ! But I didnt even think about using mixs , good one , and yes the water is viable until of course a disaster could halt those plans!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Be sure that bucket with the lid is food grade. You don't want bad plastic leaching into your stored water.

how do you know what is food grade and what isnt?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    how do you know what is food grade and what isnt?
    I find this source credible and have gotten stuff from them:
    http://www.bayteccontainers.com/5-gallon-white-plastic-bucket.html

this site is worth its weight in gold , thanks!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Yes, well, we do try, Semperfi. This is a pretty good site.

Try to get a bucket that is HDPE. Most 5 gallon buckets are HDPE, and those blue water containers are as well.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee