Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with MY BOB

it also depends on the set of value is, in other words , if the gun is an old clunker Smith with over 1 million made , the monetary value wont be much , but the protection value is enormous!! I dont sell my firearms and I dont sell my knives either!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

FWIW
    Advice from a older guy, to my friend who is a pilot, as he was purchasing an airplane from him....
    "Boy, always invest in airplanes or firearms, you will never lose money.....Never in cars and women".

I like that advice.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So THAT's been my mistake. That's the last time I visit the Whiskey Emporium then. SD has been bleedin' me dry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Consider bugging in first then bugging out if you really need to. You posted in another thread about your pond, garden and fruit trees so there are a lot of positives to staying where you are. You also know the area and those around you so it's likely you know who you can and can't trust and who you can call on if you need to in a bad time and vice versa. That team work will be a blessing. Unless the problems you outlined are in your backyard or your home is simply uninhabitable then you're better off staying put, IMO.

If you have any special license or permits to ply your trade then you'll want a copy of it/them in your BOB. If you wind up in a different part of the country at least you can show folks you can do the job.

Daily medications if you take any should be in the BOB. At least a month's supply. You can talk to your doctor and ask him/her for a 30 day prescription for your meds. Explain your concern about the New Madrid Fault. They should be understanding enough to honor your request. Place a month's supply in the bag then when you refill your meds place the new container in the BOB and start taking the meds that were in the BOB. Keep rotating so your meds don't get old.

You might consider a fishing net vs. your tackle or even trot lines. Let the fishing go on while you perform other tasks like wood gathering, shelter building, etc.

Alcohol based hand cleaner. You can use it as a fire starter if you need to. It's great to use after nature calls. It not only kills germs but saves your water.

I really like Campsuds soap. You can use it to clean yourself, your clothes, your pots and pans and as a toothpaste.

Toothbrush. Oral hygiene is especially important in bad times. Make certain you have some Clove Oil or a dental remedy with Benzocaine like Zilactin. Studies I've read show relief with Benzocaine in as little as 4 minutes. If you have fillings then something like Cavit for temporary use should a filling pop out.

You might consider a small stove like an Esbit and tabs. If it's raining it can be really tough to get a fire started and keep it going. If you have an Esbit stove and tabs you can still have a warm drink and meal for a little additional weight.

Those are some thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure others will have input.
    Dear Rick, I am the guy with the pond, fruit trees, 2 girlfriends ( in case one of them get's shot ) and all the good stuff to bug in with. I don't know who this guy is yet!
    I am Wildthang remember?????

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Dear Rick, I am the guy with the pond, fruit trees, 2 girlfriends ( in case one of them get's shot ) and all the good stuff to bug in with. I don't know who this guy is yet!
    I am Wildthang remember?????
    I take it that "they" aren't reading this right?

So congrats or condolences depending on how you look at it I guess....I find the DW is plenty to deal with.

If I can't get it right with one I can only mess up twice as bad with two.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Now let's think this through...maybe they are conjoined. The only way I could understand the set up. Kinda.

Or like those twins that are hooked together.

Oh, you mean the....what are they? I know they are Asian of sorts....Japanese? No....Tiawanese? No....GOT IT! Siamese!

You just had to go there, didn't you? Or were you channeling 2D?

I looked up conjoined. I feel so ashamed.

This 2 gf's thing is awesome.

Have they met?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    This 2 gf's thing is awesome.

Have they met?
    Bhohahahahaha, I really didn't want to get to this...but since a certain someone keeps bringing it up at every opportunity, I can only say....
    You know all that stuff you said you have?....well, enjoy it while you can....You won't have it long.

Winter. That so hurt. I snorted on that one. That right there is funny I don't care who you are. God bless them pygmy girlfriends down there in New Guinea.

I'll be here all week. Or until I share the 2 women idea with Mrs Winter.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

If that doesn't get your throat cut then tell her she's a whole lot better than her sister. That should finish you off for good.

Funny how these forums can be deceiving. Winter didn't strike me as someone with a death wish.
    Rick, sure. But not Winter.

I would work on having a basic kit and plan on bugging in. Depending on where you live. Me here in San Diego would be almost imposable to leave at any rate of speed plus the fact that I have 2 seniors that live with us bugging out isn't an option at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Funny how these forums can be deceiving. Winter didn't strike me as someone with a death wish.
    Rick, sure. But not Winter.
    I know how to escape though. I hide in the oven.

They say there are two parts to genius. Having a plan and execution of same. You've got the plan part down.