Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with MY BOB

Default Help with MY BOB

I did see other forums about this, but they didn't quite fit my needs.
    I live in the Ozarks, The temperature gets to 100 at most in the summer and around 20 in the winter (sometimes more, the weather is so unpredictable here)
    My BOB will be for short periods of time, but I would need to survive on it if I had to.
    It will not include firearms, as I don't have any at this time.
    I would bug out during civil unrest, nuclear attack, or earthquake.( never been through one in my life but there will probably be a big one soon)
    I would bug out in the wilderness.
    This is what I have so far:
    *A 45 pound fiberglass bow with field tipped arrows and extra broadheads.(for hunting small game)
    *5 snares.
    *A small tackle kit with an ultalite collapsable rod.
    *Bushcraft Knife. Maybe fillet knife too.
    *Machete.
    *Sleeping bag.
    *Black tarp.
    *First aid kit.
    *pan for boiling water and cooking.
    *Lighters.
    Tell me what I'm missing or if I have made a bad choice.

You should have an alternate method for water purification; tabs, filter, etc...in case you can't boil.
    Some food to sustain you if you can't harvest your own. Datrex bars, freeze dried Mountain House, stuff like that.
    Compass/topo maps.

I assume you've covered clothes/footwear.

There's more but this is a start
    Last edited by BENESSE; 09-10-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Yes, I have freeze dried food,water, and water filters and a compas w/magnifyer. I do NOT have Iodine tablets or anything like that. Topographical maps are a good idea too, I didn't even think about that. Thank you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you are going to use topo maps you have to know where you are going. Those maps are scaled for specific small areas and "the wilderness" is a bit too large to use as a discription for ordering the maps.

Pick out a nice area since you will be sharing your square mile with 86 other people in Missouri. Yep, 86 people per square mile and many of them with no better plan than you have, plan on "bugging out to the wilderness". You are going to run out of things to shoot with that bow real quick.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Consider bugging in first then bugging out if you really need to. You posted in another thread about your pond, garden and fruit trees so there are a lot of positives to staying where you are. You also know the area and those around you so it's likely you know who you can and can't trust and who you can call on if you need to in a bad time and vice versa. That team work will be a blessing. Unless the problems you outlined are in your backyard or your home is simply uninhabitable then you're better off staying put, IMO.

If you have any special license or permits to ply your trade then you'll want a copy of it/them in your BOB. If you wind up in a different part of the country at least you can show folks you can do the job.

Daily medications if you take any should be in the BOB. At least a month's supply. You can talk to your doctor and ask him/her for a 30 day prescription for your meds. Explain your concern about the New Madrid Fault. They should be understanding enough to honor your request. Place a month's supply in the bag then when you refill your meds place the new container in the BOB and start taking the meds that were in the BOB. Keep rotating so your meds don't get old.

You might consider a fishing net vs. your tackle or even trot lines. Let the fishing go on while you perform other tasks like wood gathering, shelter building, etc.

Alcohol based hand cleaner. You can use it as a fire starter if you need to. It's great to use after nature calls. It not only kills germs but saves your water.

I really like Campsuds soap. You can use it to clean yourself, your clothes, your pots and pans and as a toothpaste.

Toothbrush. Oral hygiene is especially important in bad times. Make certain you have some Clove Oil or a dental remedy with Benzocaine like Zilactin. Studies I've read show relief with Benzocaine in as little as 4 minutes. If you have fillings then something like Cavit for temporary use should a filling pop out.

You might consider a small stove like an Esbit and tabs. If it's raining it can be really tough to get a fire started and keep it going. If you have an Esbit stove and tabs you can still have a warm drink and meal for a little additional weight.

Those are some thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure others will have input.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Alcohol based hand cleaner. You can use it as a fire starter if you need to. It's great to use after nature calls. It not only kills germs but saves your water.
    OUCH!!!
    Tried it once...never again.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you are going to use topo maps you have to know where you are going. Those maps are scaled for specific small areas and "the wilderness" is a bit too large to use as a discription for ordering the maps.

Pick out a nice area since you will be sharing your square mile with 86 other people in Missouri. Yep, 86 people per square mile and many of them with no better plan than you have, plan on "bugging out to the wilderness". You are going to run out of things to shoot with that bow real quick.
    Yes I could have been more specific about WHERE I was going to bug out, if I chose to do so, I was just stating that I didnt have a BOL. There are not 86 people per square mile of southwest MO however, you dont realize that Saint Louis and Kansas city make up a large part of that number, they will probably "Bug Out" In the Mark Twaine National Forests, a completely different region. (And even so I could just cary 86 arrows.)

Did I detect malice in your words?
    Last edited by mouse111111; 09-10-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Bugging in is my first priority, however there are some instances when you can't stay at your house, looting for example. I do not have any guns right now, and even if I did, it would be another hunting rifle. A fishing net isn't very useful for me because I don't have any streams in this area. Thanks though, Ill add a camp stove and hand sanitizer to my list. Honestly I've never heard of an Esbit stove, what is it?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    Honestly I've never heard of an Esbit stove, what is it?
    http://www.safezonellc.com/stoveandfuel.html

http://www.safezonellc.com/esbitstove.html

http://www.safezonellc.com/esbitfuel.html
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Oh, I see how it works. Thanks, that looks better than carrying around propane or butane camp stoves.

ER, um, B, I meant to wash your hands. You probably put a drop behind each ear didn't you?

Mouse - a net can be used in ponds and lakes just as easy. You can set up a gill net and leave it. Any fish that swims into it will become entangled. Come back in a few hours and retrieve your catch. In addition, a gill net can be strung between trees to catch birds. You can also use a gill net as a seine net. The nice thing about a net is you don't need bait. Some of our Alaskan folks use a large dip net.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...0-Dip-Netting&

You want to expend as little energy as possible to do as much work as possible and having something fish for you while you perform another task will pay big dividends. There are lot's of fish traps that you can build in the wild, too. Just a thought.

I have an MSR pocket rocket that I use but it does require fuel. In a bad situation it might not be possible to replenish supplies. If you plan on using a wood fire then the Esbit tabs can be used as a fire starter if things are damp or you can use the stove when the weather is really wet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ER, um, B, I meant to wash your hands. You probably put a drop behind each ear didn't you?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I did.

Do you just place gill nets in the water between two trees? I was going to tie hooks and lines to several saplings and set it in the water for passive food procurement. Plus gill nets are VERY illegal here.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

Here's a pic I pulled from the net to show you how a gill net is set up. Obviously, the flags are not needed. You can just run a stick down each end and shove it in the mud to hold it open.

In a survival situation all methods of gathering are legal. If you are living on the move because of riots as you indicated or trying to survive because the New Madrid Fault leveled everything then you do what you have to do.

Saplings as you outlined is another good way to fish. We call them bank lines around here. You do have to have bait of some type for the hooks.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's that same net being used as a seine.

Thanks Rick, you always have an explanation. I'm thinking about making a minnow trap out of a water bottle to get bait for the bank lines. The rod and reel are for those days when fish bite as soon as you get a lure in the water, I've caught 20 largemouth bass in an hour in a medium sized pond down the road.

You use it on your hands silly Cat
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by mouse111111 View Post
    I did see other forums about this, but they didn't quite fit my needs.
    I live in the Ozarks, The temperature gets to 100 at most in the summer and around 20 in the winter (sometimes more, the weather is so unpredictable here)
    My BOB will be for short periods of time, but I would need to survive on it if I had to.
    It will not include firearms, as I don't have any at this time.
    I would bug out during civil unrest, nuclear attack, or earthquake.( never been through one in my life but there will probably be a big one soon)
    I would bug out in the wilderness.
    This is what I have so far:
    *A 45 pound fiberglass bow with field tipped arrows and extra broadheads.(for hunting small game)
    *5 snares.
    *A small tackle kit with an ultalite collapsable rod.
    *Bushcraft Knife. Maybe fillet knife too.
    *Machete.
    *Sleeping bag.
    *Black tarp.
    *First aid kit.
    *pan for boiling water and cooking.
    *Lighters.
    Tell me what I'm missing or if I have made a bad choice.
    Having spend my youth in NE Missouri and some summers in SE Missouri I would sub a hand ax over the machete and include a small file to sharpen everything with.

FWIW I caught many a sunfish using the aluminum gum wrapper as a lure.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Finally, somebody recommends a hand axe over a machete! I got in a heated argument on another website over which is better in a deciduous forest, I wasn't taking the chance on you guys.

Even if your house is uninhabitable, bugging in on the land could have it's advantages.
    If you know your neighbors, you can help each other out where looting is concerned.

A 45 pound bow will take down a deer and may be overkill for small game. I don't have them in my GHB but I do keep a stash of rat traps in the house. They'll take a squirrel or two.

As far as a firearm, does your state require a license for a pump action Pellet gun? One of those and several thousand rounds would be better for small game than possibly damaging an irreplaceable arrow coming out of a 45 pound bow that goes through the rabbit you're aiming for...

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    You use it on your hands silly Cat
    I know NOW. Nothing like experience to commit something to memory for all times.
    But you can see how Rick's comment could be misinterpreted.
    He said: "It's great to use after nature calls."
    He could have said: "It's great to use on your hands after nature calls".
    Me thinks he was being deliberately ambiguous.