Thread: A question?

Banned

Default A question?

There used to be an article on the home page about a survival kit made with a loaf pan as the container/base. I just picked up a loaf pan at a garage sale for 50 cents. It's steel and in pretty good shape. I was thinking of using it for one of these kits. I can't find it on the home page. It showed all that could be fit in the pan. It was a pretty good amount of kit. The best thing about the loaf pan is it fits perfectly in my Maxpedition Versipack Jumbo's main compartment. I was hoping someone had saved the info. I did but that was on my old computer, the one that got fried by lightening a couple years ago. If you can help I'd truly appreciate it.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Thanks Rick.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow, Thong'man is good.

Minister of Science to you, sir.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I actually made one of those years ago. I used 4040's site as a template. Hated it. It's a great concept and the gear is good but the bread pan didn't work as well in practice as it does on paper. At least not for me. One of those practice moments that can make or break a plan. The first time I pulled it out all the gear was on the ground.

I've gotten quite a few ideas from the M4040 site over the years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Consider a coffee can w/lid instead. One pound size holds about the same kit. I keep the same basic kit an a coffee can in each of my "get home bags".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i like the fish poaching pot used by chefs. it is oval shaped and resembles a wisky flask (just sayin) only they are available in quart, half gallon, and gallon sizes they have lids also. perfect for the pack.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Banned

I was wrong, on paper the loaf pan would fit in the Jumbo but in actual practice no such luck. I made a coffee can kit in Boy Scouts. I had it until I was separated and the ex took it with half the camping gear. Swore up and down she didn't just like about 60% of my stuff she took with her. Anyway After reading Rick's comment about how the kit in the loaf pan didn't work well for him I think I may well put the loaf pan in the chuck box for car camping and make canteen or Nalgene bottle kit with the pouches included they can hold a good amount of gear.
    You boil and/or cook in the canteen cup or the nesting cup you put your filtered and boiled water in the canteen or bottle.
    SAK Farmer model
    An Acme Tornado Whistle
    A space blanket
    A PSK with fishing kit
    A Basic FAK
    A lensatic compass
    A GI Sewing kit
    A Doane Bar with Ferro rod
    A small LED flashlight
    A couple votive candles
    A Bic and Lifeboat matches
    A roll of stainless steel wire.
    assorted zip ties
    A few tea bags and some instant oatmeal and/or farina and maybe some other food and I'm good to go in most mild weather conditions.

M40's stuff works alot better in a think tank then the real world. IMO, FYI.

Try to talk with the guy, he may step off his cloud and lower himself to give you a moment of his day, if you are a lucky mortal.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I did his conversion on the Khurki as well. It turned out okay but I don't hold the same stock in the Khurki that he does as a good tool for the Midwest. Maybe somewhere else but it wasn't right for me.

The mod wasn't even a real kukri. "Real" kukri's are made in Nepal, not India.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Picky, picky, picky. It was a real Indian Khurki!